RhB Rhatia HOm

PaulRhB

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There was one bit I felt needed some reworking so as the next show is approaching it gave me the impetus to get on and do it.

I wasn't happy with the rocks behind the station carpark as they were too uniform and made a straight wall so i decided to cut some out to break up the wall.

This is what it looked like originally

post-6968-12568080410353_thumb.jpg

Then I cut out a couple of areas . .

post-6968-12568080765559_thumb.jpg

post-6968-12568081020546_thumb.jpg

post-6968-12568081223771_thumb.jpg

it's now sceniced again ready for the next outing.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well the working signals project creeps forward.

2 of the 3 boards that need rewiring are finished and the control panel fascia has been redone. One more board to rewire then Kevin will start installing the logic circuits. Hopefully have it all in and working in time for the shows in the later half of this year. At least the power to the track worked fine after the rewiring!

One of the signals with the aspects being tested, (you would never see this combination in real life)

post-6968-12639812999195_thumb.jpg

Work has started to install a stone abutment for the last signal required.

post-6968-12639813753142_thumb.jpg

View of the underside of two boards rewired so far showing the L girder framework and using plastic comb binders to hold the wiring now.

post-6968-12639815313692_thumb.jpg

post-6968-12639815457793_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

perhaps I could see it at some time convenient.

Sure we can organise something when it's all up again after the next show in Feb. Nigel is coming over to video it and we could make an evening of it.

....One of the signals with the aspects being tested, (you would never see this combination in real life)

post-6968-12639812999195_thumb.jpg

What speed restriction would that be if adopted?

(You'd never see that in real life because the ever-efficient Swiss would have replaced the faulty top bulb before it had a chance to expire! laugh.gif )

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well we got all the signals in for Shepton NG show just one board to rewire and the logic circuitry to go now.

New junction signals.

post-6968-126752496262_thumb.jpg

The layout and you can see the station signals too.

post-6968-126752500613_thumb.jpg

There are a few issues with the point control that have been going on for some time, with so many to set so we are looking at simplifying it for the operator with a route setting switch. Hopefully to reduce the odd embarassing routing into occupied platforms!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Pics from the Epsom show

First the latest offering from Bemo, one of the NEVA driving trailers. I added a driver and a few passengers before the show and if anyone gets one the best way in is to gently ease apart the coach sides from the chassis and pop in wooden stirrers while you ease the sides apart nearer the ends, out drops the chassis and the drivers position is just clipped into the bodyshell and comes out if persuaded gently.

post-6968-127264679739.jpg

A low quality video too

th_IMG_0393.jpg

Now to finish off the signalling by October

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I said it before and I'll say it again - this is seriously good! :) Who says you cannot run an attractive and efficient railway operation on metre gauge? The Swiss sure prove it is possible.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well it creeps on with the signalling, after a long period boxed up since the last show as we had been busy on other things the layout went back up last week and finally the logic circuits that control the automatic signalling started to go in. 5 Signals to do and the first two were connected and tested biggrin.gif

Stop!

post-6968-127826004728.jpg

Track one (green & yellow) with clear signals at the far end so a green on the distant too.

post-6968-12782600543.jpg

Track 3 (green & green) and caution on the distant

post-6968-127826006168.jpg

Next shows are Aldeshot in October 2010 and Warley NEC 2010

• Like 1

Hi

Model looking better and better. I must go and see it at the next exhibition.

Meanwhile at BERGUN this summer, the old station is being substantially remodelled with a new bay platform and demolition of the goods facilities.

This webcam link shows the devastation in progress. Very glad I took pics on my last visit in Aug 2009.

http://www.sky-cam.ch/berguen/pixxer/cam3/

Tom

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After some hard work by my electrical genius Kevin all the signals are now fully automated so they not only show the routes but come off as a train approaches and revert to red behind it. Now working on a guide to show what it means to people watching the layout.

Couple of shows coming up, Aldershot 9 & 10th October and Warley NEC 20 & 21st November.

Lots of questions are asked about the materials used for the layout so I'm now working on some simple info sheets to hand out to anyone really interested at a show to save scribbling things down on scraps of paper.

Here's the first general info sheet, notice RMweb gets a plug ;)

post-6968-064131200 1286388811_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Next one is a hopefully simple guide to what the signals actually mean. (modified version following Horsetans valid note below)

post-6968-096427800 1286932462_thumb.jpg

and here are the two main parts of the text, comments welcome.

Main Aspect Head

It is the combination of aspects that tell the driver where he is going,

see the chart below.

Distant Head, telling driver what to expect on the next signal

(may be mounted on a separate post or beneath the main head).

Two Yellow aspects means the next signal is showing a Red aspect.

Two Green aspects means the next signal is showing a proceed aspect.

---

A single signal placed beyond points at the exit end of the loops uses the same aspects to tell the driver when they have permission to proceed. e.g. Driver in Track 2 would need a single green aspect as authority to leave the station.

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of videos of the signals working at the Aldershot show. Still a couple of minor glitches to sort as the power contacts for the lights in the coaches are confusing the logic circuits a bit and causing the aspects to flash a bit as coaches pass over the block joins.

• Like 1

......Main Aspect Head

It is the combination of aspects that tell the driver where he is going....

I was slightly thrown by the example on the chart. I thought a single green usually applied to the main / straight line, and that anything branching off it would be subject to speed-restricted aspects, e.g. double green for Track 2 rather than 3, green + yellow for Track 1?

• RMweb Gold

I was slightly thrown by the example on the chart. I thought a single green usually applied to the main / straight line, and that anything branching off it would be subject to speed-restricted aspects, e.g. double green for Track 2 rather than 3, green + yellow for Track 1?

Good point I'll amend the tracks, serves me right for being lazy and using that picture of three loops!

Ok amended diagram for that to reflect how it should have been in the first place! the centre track tends to be the main with loops either side on the RhB.

post-6968-075260600 1286930470_thumb.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Generally speaking, this depends on the diverging branch radius of the points and the line speed on the straight route at the relevant place. If the radius is large enough, the diverging speed may be the same as for the straight route, so that the main aspect will be identical. I rather doubt this will be the case anywhere on the RhB network, though.

One example from Germany I can think of immediately - though it is standard gauge, of course - would be the points at both sides of the underground suburban section of Frankfurt Central Station, which allow for 60 kph regardless of the route. Meanwhile, with speed signalling as we have it here, you may also encounter illuminated speed indicators co-located with home signals which are configured to be able to display all speeds permitted for each of the routes beyond the signal's location. Let's say we have a line with 120 kph permitted on the straight route and 70 on the diverging route - in this case the home signal will show a plain single green for the straight route and a single green plus a figure "7" speed indication for the diverging route.

Furthermore, the green/yellow aspect on home signals may be used for speeds up to 60 kph, but signifies a 40 kph speed restriction when no additional information is given. This can be done by way of said speed indicators if multiple routes with different speeds follow beyond the signal, or by a simple entry in the driver's working timetable. Here in Germany, these timetables traditionally include references to important signals relevant to the train in question, and in many cases you will see these specific references amended by brief indications in the style of "E xx", "A xx" or "Z xx", where "xx" will be a number. An "E 50" indication, for example, will indicate the signal - which serves as a station entry signal in this case - to allow for 50 kph when showing a green/yellow aspect, while a "Z 60" will point out that the home signal serves as an intermediate signal ("Zwischensignal") and allows for 60 kph under a green/yellow aspect. An "A 50" indication, finally, would be an example for a departure signal ("Ausfahrsignal") allowing for 50 kph under a green/yellow aspect.

Of course, speed restrictions will usually be given as well when a train is being routed into a partially occupied track or when no sufficient safety overlap can be provided for other reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cheers Horsetan

Some more youtube clips but of the spiral end this time.

Ge4/4 II

http://www.youtube.com/user/StonehengeASC#p/a/u/0/seFRXwvtqLQ

Ge 4/4 III

http://www.youtube.com/user/StonehengeASC#p/a/u/1/fzAY_67VE_Y

Steam

http://www.youtube.com/user/StonehengeASC#p/a/u/2/ALSt6I8X7pE

and just incase you miss it her's CM, they did a very nice job. We'll be at Warley too so say hello if you see the tall bloke with red hair!

Edited by PaulRhB