Hornby Standard Class 4 4-6-0

pete23

I have just bought Hornby's Standard Class 4, and what an incredibly detailed model it is! I've now added the add-on bits, pipework, cylinder drain cocks, brake rodding, and the lovely "properly' articulated screw coupling,but one item puzzles me. To try and describe it, there is a plate about 8mm x 5mm, with an angle iron down either longer side and projecting about 4mm beyond the end of the plate. One corner is splayed. It has no fixing lugs or holes. Can anyone tell me what it is or where it goes? It isn't shown on the instruction sheet.

One minor gripe (I have to have one,being a pensioner). Why oh why do Hornby insist on providing plastic sandpipes, very brittle plastic too, unlike Bachmann with their wire ones? With my shakey fingers, I have of course managed to break one when fitting the brake rodding. I will replace it with wire.

Its down to Sanda Kan, they have always used a brittle plastic right back from the days they made stuff for Airfix. With the finer detailing now being provided in plastic rather than more appropriate metal parts its verging on whether the model is fit for purpose, as breathing on some is nearly enough to cause something to fall off, and thats asssuming you got it out of the box in one piece to start off with.

• RMweb Premium

I have just bought Hornby's Standard Class 4, and what an incredibly detailed model it is! I've now added the add-on bits, pipework, cylinder drain cocks, brake rodding, and the lovely "properly' articulated screw coupling,but one item puzzles me. To try and describe it, there is a plate about 8mm x 5mm, with an angle iron down either longer side and projecting about 4mm beyond the end of the plate. One corner is splayed. It has no fixing lugs or holes. Can anyone tell me what it is or where it goes? It isn't shown on the instruction sheet.

One minor gripe (I have to have one,being a pensioner). Why oh why do Hornby insist on providing plastic sandpipes, very brittle plastic too, unlike Bachmann with their wire ones? With my shakey fingers, I have of course managed to break one when fitting the brake rodding. I will replace it with wire.

Perhaps you could add a photo of said part? Might help to get an answer for you.

I suggest the plate would be the 'bang' plate to protect the AWS (when fitted) from the front coupling hitting it, have a look at later photos. It is fitted under the front bufferbeam but would only be there if all the other AWS fittings were present. Fitting of AWS was from approximately late 50s onwards but not all locos received it so find a photo of your numbered loco.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

www.lanarkshiremodels.com

Thanks for the post. I could of made this post word for word.

I got my Std. 4 just 2 wks. ago.

WTH is that plate ? (davefrk is probally correct)

And I broke a pipe as well.

On this engine, I gave up on installing the brake rods.

Since they're hard too see, I figured in a year I'll forget I did'nt install them.

And with this engine with all its detail ,I'd break off detail I could see all the time

Howard

Many thanks everybody for your replies. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to get on the computer for some days. As I model early BR, a bang plate isn't required. I doubt if that is what this item is though, with its angle iron edging down either side, complete with rivets, and a splay on one corner only. Wish I could put a photo on,but no camera, unless my son can be persuaded to do it! Its a relief to hear that I'm not the only one with too many thumbs when it comes to fitting things wot is small!

To all who said it's a bang plate, my most profound apologies. It is! I've come across a photo of the class 4 preserved on the KWVR and there it is, large as life, complete with angles down either side bolted to the front of the buffer beam, and with the RH top corner angled in. Never seen one like it before, seems as though Hornby may have based their model on this one? All those I've noted have been simple flat plates with the bottom corners radiused.

Having said all that, what a pity I can't use it, it's such a nice moulding.

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know if Hornby have produced one of these in BR Green. I know they have done several runs in black, however I can't recall seeing a Hornby one in green. Does anyone know if there has been one, and if not, why. (It would seem to be an obvious choice, as it is a bit different).

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if Hornby have produced one of these in BR Green. I know they have done several runs in black, however I can't recall seeing a Hornby one in green. Does anyone know if there has been one, and if not, why. (It would seem to be an obvious choice, as it is a bit different).

No but Bachmann have.As to why,you'll have to ask Hornby that,I'm afraid.

• RMweb Premium

No but Bachmann have.As to why,you'll have to ask Hornby that,I'm afraid.

This might be because Hornby haven't tooled a suitable tender for a BR green version - Hornby's version has only appeared with the BR1B tender. 75069 is AFAIK the only one to have appeared in green and that's in preservation. Bachmann has done that one, so Hornby has sensibly not duplicated it.

This might be because Hornby haven't tooled a suitable tender for a BR green version - Hornby's version has only appeared with the BR1B tender. 75069 is AFAIK the only one to have appeared in green and that's in preservation. Bachmann has done that one, so Hornby has sensibly not duplicated it.

Sorry Andrew, see,http://www.ehattons.com/22945/Hornby_R2715_Standard_Class_4_75062_4_6_0_in_BR_Black_with_late_crest/StockDetail.aspx

A lovely model, with the correct tender. I believe both companies suffered because of the duplication, IMHO the Hornby model was much finer, and we might well have seen a green version later.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

75027 and 75029 have also been turned out in green during their preservation lives.

Both '27 and '29 ran in green prior to preservation. '69 only green in preservation. Is currently under overhaul at Bridgnorth and will re emerge in black. Whilst I agree the Hornby model is very finely detailed for me it doesn't capture the 4mt 'look' as well as the Bachmann. And of course Hornby BR Green is like no one elses (including BR!). 

• RMweb Gold

Sadly this seems to have been dropped quietly. I think the last new release was in 2012(?) which is a shame because I think the detailing was much finer than the Bachmann model.

My hunch is the tooling may of been "damaged" prior Hornby getting it back from SK.

• 11 months later...

75027 and 75029 were both Green in their working lives as were others with smaller tenders 

Generally only those on the Western region were green when late crest came out, they did the same with other BR and Ivatt standard classes they used except for the 9F (and even here there was Evening Star but only because she was the last!).

• RMweb Gold

Generally only those on the Western region were green when late crest came out, they did the same with other BR and Ivatt standard classes they used except for the 9F (and even here there was Evening Star but only because she was the last!).

Although several erstwhile green Western engines ended their days on the London Midland as Shap bankers. I believe both 75027 and 75029 made it to preservation via this route.

• 5 months later...

Hornby's R3548 https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-4-6-0-75053-standard-4mt-early-br.html 75053 has images showing it with the early emblem. However, according to brdatabase, it wasn't built until 1957 (http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=75053&loco=75053) and I though the early emblem was introduced during 1956. Was this loco an exception, as I'd have thought new locos would definitely have got the new crest.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby's R3548 https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-4-6-0-75053-standard-4mt-early-br.html 75053 has images showing it with the early emblem. However, according to brdatabase, it wasn't built until 1957 (http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=75053&loco=75053) and I though the early emblem was introduced during 1956. Was this loco an exception, as I'd have thought new locos would definitely have got the new crest.

Funny because the Box image shows Late Crest.

• RMweb Gold

The introduction of the late crest more-or-less coincided with the Western Region starting to splash green paint around non-GWR classes (though a lot of their Standard 4-6-0s seem to have been so treated at Eastleigh rather than Swindon).

I stand to be corrected if someone can come up with photographs, but I'm fairly sure none* few of those affected, 73xxx, 75xxx, 78xxx and 82xxx, carried the early emblem on green livery.

Apart from the Pacifics and Evening Star, green paint on a Standard anywhere else in the country indicated it had been transferred from the Western.

John

* Edit:see Post 29 from Gilwell Park 

It's about time we had some new liveries on this fine model, my 4mt is the best performer I have and a beautifully turned out model too. The only boob Hornby mate with it was the shed code, which was meant to be Oswestry in early emblem years (89A) but they've gone for 89D, which was Oswestry only after 1960 which does not match it's early emblem (or the box photo which clearly shows 89A). Looks like they've made a similar anachronistic mistake with the early emblem on 75053. Any ideas which shed codes are carried by 75053 and 75008?

Archived