Stoneycroft

Jimmyowl1992

Firstly this is my first post/topic so go easy, and this is my first ever layout (except a loop built by dad when i was very little) so go even easier.

Right after being out of touch with the hobby for most of my teens i suddenly realised what time was wasted and immediately started planning this layout. Progress was slow with the loft having to be turned into a room capeable of supporting a railway, which required my dads help and he works full time so that was the majoe obstacle.

As to the layout, I wanted one with many aspects of modelling to give me practise in all areas of scenery, the layout has no era and no region it is purely practise with various stock collected from when i was in early teens. I have a square loft with shelves around outside and operating spcae in the middle. Around 12ft by 10ft it basically has four sides.

One side is the mainline station with 5 through lines, this includes 4 platforms and a through line for freight. there is also 2 bay platforms attatched to inside loop.

The next side is a goods yard, with 4 sidings a head shunt and a double engine shed.

Then the two main lines run right around the back on this side and there is a single line branch with a small station, 2 pltforms around an island and a bay platform and two small sidings.

the last side is just the two main lines running over a viaduct into a the mainline station.

The track is now all laid, and all the track is wired up and scenery has finally begun, as i said this is my first attempt so go easy here are some pics of what i ahcieved so far.

HI

I have looked at your photos you have put up, and could i point out that your coal bunks are the wrong way round ,they should have the high side facing the track.

Have a look on the net at a few photos and you will see they are the other way round ,good luck with building your layout and welcome to the RMweb !

All the best

Darren

Welcome to RMWeb

I have one question - is that board unsupported? From the photos it looks as if it is quite thin and has no framing.

It's not unsuported at all the framework underneath is extremely intracet(unsure of spelling). However yes the board is thin and i realise it wasnt the best choice, however it is doing a good job. The structure is putting up with extreme cold and was built in extreme heat so im hoping it will stand up to the elements.

thanks for comment

james

HI

I have looked at your photos you have put up, and could i point out that your coal bunks are the wrong way round ,they should have the high side facing the track.

Have a look on the net at a few photos and you will see they are the other way round ,good luck with building your layout and welcome to the RMweb !

All the best

Darren

Thank you, i know that now so thank you, there will be one maybe 3 or 4 more on layout so i will bear that in mind, however that is stuck down now, and it was the first bit of scenery i ever done so im gonna keep it for sentimental reasons.

Thanks for comment

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thank you, i know that now so thank you, there will be one maybe 3 or 4 more on layout so i will bear that in mind, however that is stuck down now, and it was the first bit of scenery i ever done so im gonna keep it for sentimental reasons.

According to this thread on the old RMWeb, your first coal cell/bunker is fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Well christmas has come and gone. Progress was slow as its christmas and i have got exams soon. But heres the progress that has been made in a few trips up there. With help and photos from my friend nigel.

Some ballasting has begun, a small bit of countrysidre and some small building in goods yard, real progress will begin at end of jan when exams finish.

With scenery involved i have tried to also take photos of some stock, i dont want to hear inaccuracies in my stock as this layout isnt for that its to help my moddeling skills, my own layout will come when im older.

Anyway here we go, any questions comments feel free i will respond in due course, read my about me for more layout details.

Quick question if anyone has it, when ballasting what is the height to go to in relation to track? As it's very low at moment because its easy to add hard to take away.

Also what is recommended way of putting it down?

sorry this is wrong section but i wanted to attatch to layout thread

james

Quick question if anyone has it, when ballasting what is the height to go to in relation to track? As it's very low at moment because its easy to add hard to take away.

Also what is recommended way of putting it down?

sorry this is wrong section but i wanted to attatch to layout thread

james

Hi James,

I don't think there's any set height to be honest, from what I've seen it normally just goes on what looks good...

The general method most people seem to use is pour it on the track, then spread it using a paint brush etc, then stick it in place using a 50 - 50 mix of pvc and water, with a few drops of washing up liquid

Thanks alot much appreciated, i just wondered height as i did one of curves recently and i did it a bit high and it now needs to be reduced, as it seems to derail any stock that hasnt got 4 wheels(small wagons) or two 4 wheel bogies(coach and DMU). i may have got a bit overexcited i fear.

yeah ive definitely gone too high, owell ill chip away at it then give it a small top coating, my own fault i should of waited till i asked on here, still i learnt my lesson i wont do it again, ive done the inside of a single curve wrong easily repaired and inbetween tracks in goods yard but not for long, so it shouldnt have caused too much trouble. IT might even be okay in goods yard cos its straight track.

Thanks for help guys.

james

P.s to all, The start of my first set of A2 exams is now upon me so updates and progress will be slow until 28th jan at about 2:45 p.m, cant wait.

• RMweb Gold
yeah ive definitely gone too high, owell ill chip away at it then give it a small top coating, my own fault i should of waited till i asked on here,

If its in a goods yard/siding and over top of sleepers, sprinkle on some fine flock and paint matt black with a bit of grey in it'll look like cinder/ash!

A few things have happened recently which surprised me very much.

with my dads helps ive manadged to make the plastic grey Hornby platforms look, to me, incredible, even if it is only compared with the original. But that is a big step as it was casuing me quite a headache.

A few faulty pieces of track have been replaced (the special curves for the island platform of branch station) and are working fantastic.

The curve where i have gone too high on ballast has been fixed.

And with my christmas money i bought a bachman mk1 buffet for my B&G mk2 set and im very imppressed pictures of it in set will come with the next photo update.

thanks for looking

james

A few things have happened recently which surprised me very much.

with my dads helps ive manadged to make the plastic grey Hornby platforms look, to me, incredible, even if it is only compared with the original. But that is a big step as it was casuing me quite a headache.

A few faulty pieces of track have been replaced (the special curves for the island platform of branch station) and are working fantastic.

The curve where i have gone too high on ballast has been fixed.

And with my christmas money i bought a bachman mk1 buffet for my B&G mk2 set and im very imppressed pictures of it in set will come with the next photo update.

thanks for looking

james

Looking forward to seeing the pictures cool.gif

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the insanely late reply on this layout. Exams finished and the joy of university interviews beckoned. Nightmare .

Hopefully my freind doing photography will be round tomorow or monday and i can update properly.

But basically ballasting has been almost completed on country station, the island platform has been fitted and adding to it has begun. The platform for dead end platform is waiting for measurements from the country station currently under construction. I'm starting to stain my coffee mixing sticks for laying in engine sheds.

The plans are in place for the industrial area and village which is good.

Also a few new purchases a GWR bolster wagon and virgin mk 2 brake coach. Along with the scenery that is being purchased ongoingly.

Anyone got any advice on how to make road bridges????????

james

• 1 month later...

Ballasting has continued slowly and the country station is being built up. Unforunately electrical problems have stopped me working its taken me a month to fix the lights in loft :(

But i've started again now and hopefully can make some progress with these two weeks off college.

Just bought a bachman 46 BR blue brand new, fantastic. Very good buy.

• 3 months later...

To anyone who thinks ive just stopped i havent. I tried to get my final exams out of the way and since then progress has been made.

To anyone who questioned the supports earlier in topic, you were very much right and the boards are currently being put on a more extensive framework and raised slightly. Also slight remodelling has been undertaken to bring the back tracks (behind small station) alot closer, and to remove the little kink in bends seen in the last of the batch of photos on first post. Making things run better too. Photos will be loaded up of full track and the start of scenery, with stock, hopefully within 3 weeks maximum.

james

• 4 months later...

Im gonna stop saying 3 weeks until photos cos it never happens.... unfortunately uni takes up alot of time especially when your not living where the railway is.......

i'm gonna start a new topic when the track is all relaid with photos :/

trying to keep it up

james

Archived