Another one

Guest Natalie Graham

Guest Natalie Graham

OK, You got me. I posted off my membership form to the 2mm Scale Association this morning. When I fancied giving this model railwaying lark another go I was intending trying P4, but having watched, in particular, Highclere take shape on RMWeb along with some of the other threads on here has reminded me how much I like the little 'uns. Now I will have to get some bits from the shops and start building things.

Guest Natalie Graham

Thank you for the welcomes. I think I am going to enjoy 2mm FS. To answer Missy's question, I am thinking in terms of LNWR in the 19th century. A layout is not really on at the moment as I have my house for sale and a move to somewhere else in due course. Although the way things are I could probably buold several layouts and retire them before I get a buyer. As a long term goal I rather fancy Tipton. It does also have the possibility of building the canal interchange basin as a kind of prototypical Inglenook shunting plank and then incorporating it into the bigger layout later on. Or I might look for a smaller prototype station as a first layout. I will see how much space I have when I move and how much stock I have built in the meantime. But for now I will start out building a loco or two and them some rolling stock and work from there.

Thank you for the welcomes. I think I am going to enjoy 2mm FS. To answer Missy's question, I am thinking in terms of LNWR in the 19th century. A layout is not really on at the moment as I have my house for sale and a move to somewhere else in due course. Although the way things are I could probably buold several layouts and retire them before I get a buyer. As a long term goal I rather fancy Tipton. It does also have the possibility of building the canal interchange basin as a kind of prototypical Inglenook shunting plank and then incorporating it into the bigger layout later on. Or I might look for a smaller prototype station as a first layout. I will see how much space I have when I move and how much stock I have built in the meantime. But for now I will start out building a loco or two and them some rolling stock and work from there.

Hmm, that reminds me that I have somewhere some unfinished artwork for LNWR open wagons and the underframes to match.

Chris

Hi Natalie,

Welcome to the 2mm corner! I think you'll find we're a pretty friendly bunch, and 2mm seems to be going great places at the moment!

There are a few LNWR bits available that i can think of off the top of my head - the likes of Ultima and Worsley Works produce a selection of coaching stock and NPCS and an etched kit for the ubiquitous D88 van is available from the 2mm Scale Association shop (see iffy photo of my example below);

post-8055-0-60171000-1309899882_thumb.jpg

There were some etches produced a good few years ago for some of the locos - although they may be a bit too modern for your tastes.

Andy

Guest Natalie Graham

Thanks for even more welcoming comments. I made a start today with this little chap. The beginnings of one of the odd little 4-wheel shunters that the LNWR had, complete with the obligatory pound coin for size comparison. ;) One of these spent its working week shunting wagons at Tipton yard with the occassional trip along the line to Dudley Port, and lived in the tiny shed at Tipton which wasn't big enough to accomodate anything else.

post-5551-0-50505000-1309902381_thumb.jpg

It has a boiler too that plugs into the bottom of the saddle tank, but that will have to be fitted to the chassis as Messrs. Ramsbottom and Webb showed the common failing of many early locomotive engineers when designing this loco, they didn't allow for fitting the motor in. Actually there's plenty of room, the issue is in finding a way to fit a motor without it being irretrievably built into the loco and completely inaccessible thereafter. Next job is the smokebox front, some buffer beams and the rear plate to the footplate. To call it a cab is stretching things a bit.

Thinking about it now it might have been better to have chosen a prototype for which suitable wheels are available, as I have realised that the cast wheels of these shunters weren't the same as the ones the larger engines had and which are the ones that the 2mm Association shop has. That one needs some thought.

Great to hear of someone going for the LNWR, a favourite of mine!

For the H-spoked wheels, you might try the 8mm or 8.5mm diameter Association wheels, with an overlay to give an impression of the spokes.

Your enthusiasm makes me feel very ashamed that I am not building LNWR locos for my RMweb 2011 Challenge model of Liverpool Lime Street loco shed in 2mm scale - which is what I really should be doing. :help:

• RMweb Gold

That's an impressive start Natalie welcome to 2mm. One of my modelling friends used to go spotting at Tipton as a lad said it was quite interesting ( not in LNWR days though! ) Should make a stunning model.

Don

Archived