Someone has to be first!

BlackRat

Okey dokey, been a long term project to build a 7mm f/s clay layout and have several s/b hoods on the go.

The prob is I think the wagons look rerasonably ok(built from ply with ABS underframes etc) but I am struggling to get the hoods right.

This is mark 7 or 8 and built from copper foil.

They look to rigid but am struggling to get the hoods to look 'natural' ie with the right amount of 'play' (if thats the right word).

post-7061-0-65072900-1310043109_thumb.jpg

Before I do any more, advice please....

over to you.(be gentle lol) .......laugh.gif

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

I don't think it looks too bad at all and mixed in with a rake I think it would be fine. Where the tarpaulins a good fit on the wagons, or was there a small amount of slack creating a sag, because that would be nice to model on the next one.

Regards,

Nick

Nick, sag........a combination really depending on the age and material they were made from.

Early ones were a heavy duty canvas, with the later (or at least some) being like a very heavy duty vinyl, much smoother and its those that I am trying to capture.

For the earlier type, I have tried tissue and pva (sprayed on) but it still goes tilt.

The hood is the essential bit really and has to look right or thereabouts.yes.gif

Having another go here this afters as its a day off, hence the post!

Guest jim s-w

Hi Neil

Looking at the pictures in Nicks link I would say yours look a bit too crisp, They need more creases especially in the vertical areas. The real hoods look like they 'suck in' to the wagon sides at the bottom while you have a fairly straight line on the model

HTH

Jim

Hi Neil,

Looking good so far, may I suggest making a firm (wood or metal?) former to put your hoods onto, then when a hood is in place, set about it (gently!) with say the ball from a ball pein hammer, followed by a blunt pencil - to distress and crease the copper foil?

To get the 'uneveness' of the lower sides of the hood, how about trimming with scissors?

I've never done this myself but, to me, it seems an intuitive way of attacking this problem!

Cheers and heres hoping for the best,

John E.

PS with the ball, I mean to drag it along the 'canvas'!

Yes I can see what you mean (all of you!).

Think it looks like a lid (which it is I guess) as opposed to a Hood!

I am going to try with some material I have just found....................its a foil pie dish!

Not quite as rigid as the copper, watch this space!

Any other feedback def welcome.yes.gif

• RMweb Gold

Well that's got me experimenting rolleyes.gif

I've had a go with some 'take-away' container and I've 'distressed' the edge with a scriber both inside and out, this also seems to stretch the foil so you can create some folds. I think the technique need some refining but it looks like a promising start.

post-7104-0-39164500-1310066174_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Paul spot on!yahoo.gif

Is that a OO wagon? I will try it and see how it works in 7 mil.

Off Monday and Tuesday next week, so will give it a try and post the result.

Yes, 4mm, just an ex PO coal to prop the experiment on (held on with Blu-Tack). It was John E's comment on using the blunt pencil that got me thinking to do this on the inside as well as the outside, I used a scriber as a cocktail stick wouldn't touch it.

As luck would have it I got a takeaway for tea tonight and the tray was ready to be rinsed to go into the recycling bin, I just recycled it in another way rolleyes.gif

Mrs BR has just informed me they use similar foils in work! They may be slightly thicker but I have asked her to bring me a selection home.

It could be I will have to fabricate one, as opposed to making it a 'fold up', like the copper ones are.

She is bringing some home later, I cant crack on as working 1600 till 0200 for the next 3 days, which means 0300 in bed.

BUT..............off Monday and Tuesdayyahoo.gif

Thanks again for the feedback, and sound advice.

Can I make another material suggestion?

Reynolds Foils who seemed to have covered the market over here in kitchen foil make a "Heavy Duty" version on a roll which I believe is somewhere in the middle between regular aluminum baking foil and container foil. You may find it a little easier to work with. I think it's name is: 'Reynolds "Heavy Duty" Kitchen Foil' (natch!). I'm just not sure whether it is generally available in the UK.

Will you report back as to how you get on with this project?

Cheers! Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Neil, I was going to say the same as the others regarding the folds in the ends. The bar across the top seems to have very little sag on any of the wagons in the photos, however.

Notwithstanding your continued experimentation on the folds, you've got the weathering done very nicely.

Had a quick bash today, using a heavy duty foil (pie dish) whilst between shifts!

Prob the same result as the copper (except you cant solder it!).

The foil suffers the same probs, ie its to dense to take up all the subtlety thats required.cray.gif

Mrs BR is going to bring home a selection of pie foils tomorrow, as apparently the come in different thicknesses etc (which aids reheating ).

So Tuesday, its pie day!

Anyhow, for what its worth...................

post-7061-0-25781800-1310292378_thumb.jpg

I worked on the sides, but not as yet the ends.

There has to be a balance between strength, and being able to get 'the detail in.'

post-7061-0-71501500-1310292433_thumb.jpg

I dont think cling film will stand up to it, unles I add the bar.................yes.gif

Still fiddling with various grades of foil.

Its trying to strike a balance of what looks ok, and strength and useabillity.

Going to do one more lot, then that will do.

After all its only a model and I only have so much time.

And theres another 7 to do!laugh1.gif

I'll post some pics of the 4mm s/b ones for comparison............

Guest jim s-w

Surely the answer is the best of both worlds A sub frame of the thicker stuff overlaid with a much thinner "detail" layer?

Cheers

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I knew I was going to make a suggestion for material on here when the topic started, I can't see I have.... so....

I've used the tin foil inside the top of catering tins of coffee,

when cut out they are approx 130mm dia. and 0.09mm thick (or Imperial 3.5 thou = 0.0035").

I've used these on a number of lime wagons for the central (either side) roof doors.

You can induce some useful 'stretch' marks etc into the foil too.

I think these are slightly thinner than pie foil dishes.

I had a stack at one time from the 'catering operative' at our Motorway construction office's catering outlet (Tea Room!!),

we got through a lot of Coffee on the 2+ years contract (1970 'ish - M5 in Somerset). Now I've only about half a dozen bits of foil left.

• 1 year later...

Archived