HST "drag" coupling

Quick question if I may. When you have loco's dragging failed HST's, what method do you use as a coupling? As far as I've been able to tell, most "OO" gauge HST motor units appear to have no visible couplings, and it has been a puzzle. Sorry if this is a "newbie" type of question.:blink:

• RMweb Premium

To drag a model HST from the pointy end, surgery is required. On the real thing a flap on the lower nose is removed and a long coupling bar is attached, one end of which is designed to fit over the coupling hook on the assisting loco. As to how best to replicate this, others on the forum will have a better idea, but in principal its just a case of cutting a hole in the front and adding a suitable piece of rod with your preferd coupling on the end of it.

Here's a piccy

http://www.lococarriage.org.uk/St%20Philips%20March%20HSTs.jpg

There's another head for the bar that allows two power cars to be coupled nose to nose, too.

http://www.trainsferriesbuses.co.uk/43198-43155-md-01.jpg

The bar is normally stowed in the luggage area of the power car, at least in the ones I've seen it is.

Hope this helps,

jo

Model Rail did an article fairly recently on modifying a pendolino to be dragged by coupling. I expect that a similar technique, modified using information from photos, could be used for an HST.

• RMweb Gold

I managed to adapt a power car into one with the emergency coupling exposed and even made it operational. It was simply a piece of aluminium bar, with two loops at each end, one to allow it to be coupled to a draw hook or tension hook. The other was to act as the pivot, which was another aluminium bar, being horizontally mounted on the chassis and from what I remember, it seemed to worked very well, with it being able to negotiate the 1st radius point work!

From the predecessor Rmweb, I have managed to dig out my workbench thread, with it showing at the top and again in more detailed photos about half way down.

HST emergency coupling bar

Its not 100% accurate, however I feel that it gives a realistic impression while being more than practical.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Sorry for the delayed response, couldn't find the thread..doh!!

Thanks everyone for the replies, seeing the coupling up-close explains it well (thanks for the links jo). Chris, I like your solution, and I might have a go at a "rescued" power car now for the TMD I'm building. Would be an excuse to buy / use a dummy power car and have it "dragged" into the depot for some urgent repairs!!

Thanks once again everyone.

Mike

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 19/01/2019 at 21:36, richscylla said:

I am working on something similar. Does anyone have pictures of their versions. The ones in Chris' thread no longer show.

Cheers, 

Rich

Here is a picture of the real thing taken with the cab & skirts removed so you can see all the other bits in there clearly.

Dave

20190209_143802.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, standardblue said:

That's an interesting picture, thanks Dave. What's the orange jumper? And, are those buffers temporary while the cab is removed, or always the beneath the skirt? Are they sprung?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark the jumper is the same as the ones between power car & trailer cars it is there so the sets can be put on shore supply whilst in the depot.

Yes the buffers are there all the time behind the skirts and they are solid not sprung.

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Following on from this, when a power car is hauled from the blunt end with a barrier coach I seem to recall a temporary lamp bracket is used . 

Found this on Youtube, the bracket that holds a temporary lamp bracket can clearly be seen on the top edge of the coupler cover panel. There's also a newer clip showing the coupler bar with a buckeye adpator. Off cause in real life you'd be miles from anywhere in the dark and it would be chucking it down!

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, w124bob said:

Following on from this, when a power car is hauled from the blunt end with a barrier coach I seem to recall a temporary lamp bracket is used . 

Found this on Youtube, the bracket that holds a temporary lamp bracket can clearly be seen on the top edge of the coupler cover panel. There's also a newer clip showing the coupler bar with a buckeye adpator. Off cause in real life you'd be miles from anywhere in the dark and it would be chucking it down!

Great video!

17 hours ago, w124bob said:

Coupled loads of failed HSTs up in various locations and times of day. But never when its been raining........... The very first one I did was a right *astard as one on a tight bend and had to use a bit of common sense to get it coupled, the buffering one side of the Brush 2 where touching the skirt when finally coupled.