Variations on the Hornby pug.

post-6220-0-08097400-1310076078_thumb.jpg

A real bitsa this one

> an old style split Bachmann chassis from an 03 class diesel.

> Hornby pug saddle tank and smoke box.

> Hornby Thomas cab, it un clips easily from the rest of his body.

> plastikard footplate and bunker.

The solid lump of the metal chassis needed quite a lot of metal sawn off, the cab is still full leaving no room for the crew, that's why they have to stand on the platform.

The new Bachmann 03 would be easier to convert as it is less chunky,

post-6220-0-98466100-1310076678_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-12966300-1310076734_thumb.jpg

A selecton of RTR saddle tanks available to us,

From the top;

Bachmann Junior, strangley stretched upwards and too tall.

Hornby pug, stretched length ways

Bachmann Percy, correct diemensions length ways but stretched up wards

Airfix kit LMS pug with the cab cut down

Metal diecast toy bodies ERTL I think?

The yellow one has the correct size and shape saddle tank

for a 4mm scale model of the Bodmin and Wadebridge 0-4-0 tank 'Bodmin' of the 19th century and earlier than the Beattie well tanks engines shortly to arrive from Dapol.

The problem is how to get decent chassis under them and turn them in to scale models?

post-6220-0-65713800-1310236382_thumb.jpg

My plan is to put the Hornby pug onto the Bachmann Percy chassis, the question is how much of the middle of the tank to remove?

The original wheelbase is 7 foot ( one pug survives into preservation ), Percy measures up at 7 ft 6in, shown in red and I think the Hornby chassis

scales out to 8 ft 3 in, which is shown as the rearmost wheel in the sketch.

Hornbys extra length was to get this in and the original large X04 motor, this also dictated the enormous firebox to hide the motor magnet, which spoils

the profile and bugs me.

• 8 months later...

Well thank you for the interest in my conversion.

The body body is basically the front part of the Hornby Pug,smoke box and tank glued to a rectangle of plasticard for a footplate and the cab was from the Hornby E2 0-6-0 tank before it was transformed into Thomas by them. The chassis is now out of date as it is the old Bachmann split chassis for their 03 diesel shunter. Some of the top of the front casting was filed down to fit it under the body. The new chassis is not so high at the front so will probably need a lot less work to fit up under the body, the jack shaft coupling rods to the rear fly wheel will need to be removed,the cab steps hide what is left.

Well thank you for the interest in my conversion.

The body body is basically the front part of the Hornby Pug,smoke box and tank glued to a rectangle of plasticard for a footplate and the cab was from the Hornby E2 0-6-0 tank before it was transformed into Thomas by them. The chassis is now out of date as it is the old Bachmann split chassis for their 03 diesel shunter. Some of the top of the front casting was filed down to fit it under the body. The new chassis is not so high at the front so will probably need a lot less work to fit up under the body, the jack shaft coupling rods to the rear fly wheel will need to be removed,the cab steps hide what is left.

The saddle tank at the top of the thread looks very good - the only real snag is the block filling the cab. I don't know if it would be possible to file down a whitemetal figure at the back and stick him to the block as a sort of low relief crewman, hanging out of the cab during shunting? It would at least obscure a lot of it

If the new 03 chassis takes up less of the cab (or can be carved to do so) , that might help as well - though I suspect it will be the old chassis that will be readily available at a low price as people upgrade from the old to new 03 model...

• 2 weeks later...

post-6220-0-97030600-1333472516.jpg

Dims in mms

Thanks for the interest in the little O3 diesel to saddle tank conversion, encourage by all your interest I've managed to find some archive drawings from the time I did the work.

These drawings are done with BARAD or Biro and Ruler Aided Design in about 1994.

Above shows the outline of the body and below the shape of the Bachmann metal split chassis block ensuring loots of adhesion weight and good running. Some front and top portions of the chassis had to be filed away to fit it inside the plastic pug body.

post-6220-0-62730300-1333472536_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

attachicon.gifP7090335.JPG

.....the question is how much of the middle of the tank to remove?

The original wheelbase is 7 foot ( one pug survives into preservation ),....

Hornbys extra length was to get this in and the original large X04 motor, this also dictated the enormous firebox to hide the motor magnet, which spoils

the profile and bugs me.

Stumbled across this thread after realising that not too many people have tried correcting the Hornby Caley Pug to scale length and proportions.

In terms of shortening the saddle tank by 8mm, where would you take out the excess? All of it from behind the dome, as your sketch suggests, or 4mm either side of the dome?

The trouble with cutting before the dome would be that there's already very little distance between the tank filler and dome that can be reduced. Only cutting behind the dome would be a lot easier, bearing in mind that the tank's length and position of fittings are different to the prototype anyway.

I hope you don't mind relaxinghobby, but I stumbled across this thread mid last year and have been working on and off on a similar machine to yours over the past few months, seen in its current state below on a friend's layout. I've used the current Bachmann 03 as a donor and reused the running plate. The chassis is the opposite way around compared to yours, as the smokebox would have been too far forward with the motor immediately behind it; a cab full of motor seemed like a more acceptable compromise to me. The main cab structure is from a scrap 'Nellie' body. It's my first bodging project and I've learnt a lot in the process.

IMG_20150314_153758629_zpsf4ktzkzk.jpg

IMG_20150314_153854894_zpsa7dvou2u.jpg

Hi chaps, Well they say there's a prototype for everything and here's something that might interest you. As to modifying the Hornby "Caly" pug the Caledonian did something similar back in the 1880s to try and increase the power and usefulness of the 0-4-0 264 (Caly pug) class they lengthened the design from an 0-4-0 to an 0-6-0 These were new builds but kept the same basic wheel, boiler, smokebox, firebox and cylinder dimensions and came up with the 272 class saddle tank, I think six were built with three surviving into LMS days being numbered 16100 to 16102 but they had all gone by 1929. They were not a great success as the extra axle meant they couldn't negotiate the tight curves of the 0-4-0 and as 0-6-0s didn't have the power of the Caledonian 323 class (Also a saddle tank and the direct forerunner of the standard 782 class tank engine)  Unusual for the period for a Caledonian loco it like the larger 323 class had a Stirling type cab originally open but as shown in this picture later fitted with backs to the cab, note also the T pattern cast spoke wheels also fitted to the early pugs and 323 class tanks aswell. Here's a picture sorry its not very good but was copied from an old book

post-17847-0-27258800-1429605784_thumb.jpg

Steve

An interesting loco, Steve. It doesn't seem to be mentioned by Haresnape and Rowledge in 'Drummond Locomotives'.

Yeh strange that but it does pop up in lots of Caledonian references like this one

http://orion.math.iastate.edu/jdhsmith/term/slgbcr.htm

and here under the Caledonian section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dugald_Drummond

Although the first link is just a basic guide if you scan down you can see 272 class listed after the 0-4-2 262 Killin pug class and the 264 0-4-0 pug class and as I say even though this is just a basic guide note all three share the same wheel size, piston size, grate and heating surface area. With out checking through all my Caledonian books I think this is the only picture I have off hand. Steve

G'day all,

I do like this thread and the conversion projects described! Well done to all who have had a go!

Here's one of my projects, described in detail here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72460-gwr-1331-ex-whitland-cardigan-0-6-0st-project/

post-17793-0-22056600-1429757895_thumb.jpg

It's amazing what can be done with these little toys/models.

Regards,

Rob

• 2 years later...

Hi All. Being relatively new to model railway? This time around, I learned the hard way, my first Loco was a preowned Schools Class from Hattons( Hornby, needless to say Tender driven 1980's vintage) first of many mistakes, but then I heard of Kernow and Bachmann,

success, I have since purchased a number of Bachmann EMU's and DEMU's, followed by DJModels, but now I have erred? I fancied

some Hornby Pugs, and a Hornby A1x Terrier but everyone ( almost everyone ?) asks me Why ? When these Loco 's were not made for

DCC operation. Then I saw this thread. And I hope that I can get some unbiased answers, true the space is a bit cramped and the wrong type of motor may have been fitted. But there is worse to come? Half a dozen Pugs, not knowing anything about them, to top it all

I purchased them on eBay , and they are still in the post, somewhere. If I am permitted and I can find out how( if possible) I would like to post some photo 's? All the best. Kevin

The latest Hornby pugs are surprisingly good runners, top speed is much reduced compared to earlier examples, I inherited a wcr example in a train set and bought a caley version and was amazed at the difference, haven't modified them yet!!

Archived