a new warehouse

PeterR

Hi,

Whilst waiting for my 2 8 6 chassis to be fitted with a motor & gearbox, I have been making a large industrial building for the ‘soon to be laid’ industrial and commercial siding.

I found on the web a quite interesting building made by an Australian firm ‘Outback Models’ of such a building in ON3 scale. They made a laser cut kits of it and there are several versions on their website. I asked and was granted permission to use the design, (Thank you to Outback Models), for my FN3 scale model, which I am sure is really too small but I do not have any more space!

My version is not a copy, as I have reversed some of it and enlarged it in part as well. It is made from PVC solid foam sheet and also the plastic corrugated material, as used for signs mine is called ‘Korroflute’.

The building is 27†long at the moment and 20†deep, there will be an increase in length, comprising a loading platform extension and a pillar crane I think.

I started with the windows, and then cut the holes for them in the sheet material for the respective parts; these will be eventually fixed together: There is a staircase to the upper door, and on the twin slope roof when it is added I have a water tank to add; this is made from an old pill container – cut off the upper section, reverse it and glue back in position to stiffen it, add the vertical planks, and a top to suit and make a base for it. That will be the top of the covered (and tapered) base that will be fixed to the roof. It is 2.5 inches diameter, and 3.5 inches high.

A photo of the office end, with a window inserted in the Korroflute that this part is made from. The water tank is in its location. I have sealed the join between sections with 4 thou aluminum strip (from lager cans) to keep water out of it - the shingle roof will be added and then another piece glued on to replicate the flashing.

A top view of the office roof, there will be a stovepipe added in due course to it. Those holes in the central part are for the smallest size windows I have made for this building.

The steps - to hold the lower end still I have fitted a small piece of 1mm diameter brass wire that can just be seen between the inner piece and the wall. Most of the steps are 5mm thick Sintra board with 3mm thick for the steps.

A final photo of the interior bracing, note the extra bits, from scrap, on the inside of the corners.

The roof has been added and it took a lot of styrene! In addition I have added to the main (meant to be the original part) or center section the battens . ll the roves have the tauikls of the roof timbers which though a bit if a fiddle to fit stiffen the edges of the roof a lot.

I have built three chimnies for it, which can be seen on the ridge and three roof ventilators (like some American barns). The chimney has a section of a Vitamin C tablet container, (notwithstanding these I still managed a cold – right at the end of winter, it was ‘lying in wait; and the ‘dregs’ of it are still slightly with me alas!). On top of the chimney stack the section of cut up tube is used to make a rain/snow deflector that was clothed inside and out with 1mm planks to thicken it up; the outer ones are scribed to represent the bricks it is made of.. Most of the stack has had the bricks added, and the bottom of it is covered by ‘flashing’.

Meanwhile saving some words, here are some photos of the almost complete main building; there is still a deck that it wuill sit on to make, and also the long siding that will feed it - the weather is against that at the moment!

post-8192-0-77756800-1310156496_thumb.jpg

The workig end, with an extension for more storage

post-8192-0-15281500-1310156513_thumb.jpg

this is the office end, there is I think going to be a small extension to the deck here ending is a pllar crane, rather like the ones inside English Goods sheds or the sides of canals - using the 'Armstong principle', but it will have some gears for assitance..

post-8192-0-58145800-1310157005_thumb.jpg

Note the small water tank nestling at the rear of the low roof in photo 3, the basis of that is an old pill container.

Archived