class 442 and class 377

hi

i am new to rmweb

i have a bit of a problem i would really like a class 442 wessex in 00 i know hurst models do them but does anyone else make them if it is easier i can get hold of some class 377 cabs in 00

but what i am really looking for ia a modeller who can convert a class 377 cab into a class 442 cabs

does anyone know the owner of hurst models

please reply

ray

• RMweb Premium

Right, lets deal with things one at a time.

First up, welcome to RMWeb, you will enjoy it here!!

Second: Class 442's

Hurst Models do the conversion parts (Etched sides, ends, bogie frames etc) which are designed to convert Lima Mk 3's.

http://www.shop.hurstmodels.com/index.asp

Unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment of the key parts until they make another run, Hurst Models is one of the few remaining cottage industry type traders in the model railway fraternity and as such are not a mass producer of items, only when demand requires it.

Also with the 442's the middle car etched sides they do are either for as built Network SouthEast specification or as rebuilt by South West Trains, they won't do for the current Southern/GatEx configuration. I am waiting to do a 442 myself, I have a pile of Lima donor Mk 3's waiting but am also waiting for Hurst to do a fresh batch of the parts, I would settle for just the cast cab ends and scratch build and /or kitbash the remaining details myself.

Third: Class 377's

Nothing available ready to run, it is however possible to do a major cut and shut on a few Bachmann Class 170 Turbostars but it is not for the faint hearted and will need the manufacturer of the distinctive cab ends. Bachmann have produced a ready to run two car Class 171 in Southern colours but these were Limited Editions for Modelzone (one in pristine condition, the other weathered) and currently change hands for heavy money on the likes of Ebay etc.

Someone has done a major cut and shut of a 170 to produce a 377 with their own custom made cab ends but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.

Hope this is of some help!

In which case could I suggest you provide more info on the materials of the cab (resin? white metal? plastic?) and also what you'd expect to pay for the job - I expect it'd be a fairly big job and unless you're very lucky I doubt someone would do it for free.

hi there

thanks for the reply however i don't think you understood the question right i was looking for someone to convert my class 377 cab into a class 442 cab

please reply

pingmaster

Why? The Class 377 and 442 Cabs are massively different! Most importantly, the profiles are different. 442s are in essence Mk3s with Cabs and motors, whereas 377s are part of the Electrostar/Turbostar family, which are a different profile to Mk3s.

If you desperately want a 442, buy the Hurst Models parts. Converting 377 cabs wouldn't be a good way of going about it. It would take a hell of a lot of effort to get a 377 cab looking like a 442.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pingmaster.

Good to hear from you again. l'd thought you'd gone MIA.

I gather, from your posts, that you are attempting to model a Class 442 / 5-WES Emu (also a Class 377 ?) for your son ? Using whatever help is available

Like all Dads, you want to impress, and, l'm sure you recognise your own modelling limitatations, hence asking for assistance here.

The front end of any latter day multiple unit has many complex shapes / curves, and takes time to capture these in model form... lt's not like sticking a set of drivers' cab windows on the end of a Mk.1 coach.

l'm sure that your son will appreciate the effort you've put in so far, but l'm thinking, you've bitten off more than you can chew. Get him interested in what is available r.t.r...Voyagers, Pendelinos, or, even, converting the forthcoming Bachmann Class 350 Desiro unit into a 3rd. rail Class 450.

If you still want to use balsa wood, or the resin route, for the front end conversion of a Mk.3 into a Class 442, here's the basic arrangement.

post-7009-0-77043600-1312830408_thumb.jpg

Ping, ping.

• RMweb Gold

For the Class 442, you may also be interested in obtaining a copy Model Rail #12, where they do cover the modification of the MKIII's into a Class 442, using the parts as listed on Hurst Models Website. Its not a full step by step guide, however it does show the main aspects of the build and it should also give you an idea of what is involved with the project along with any useful tips. What may also be of use to you aswell, is the prototype pictures that have included, which are mainly of the cab, which would also be of use if you decide to go down the scrath build route.

Hope This Helps

Chris

Archived