Realtrack Models looking for suggestions!

charliepetty

Charlie, personally I think you have opened a tin of worms by asking for suggestions from steam to current prototype.

Everyone will have their own personal favourite with little regard for commercial considerations.

So now let me add my two cents worth.

I would like to see a ‘Diesel Brake Tender’ produced.

Guest 40-something

I vote for a Class 120 & Class 126,

followed by a Class 303 & 311,

followed by a Class 05,

followed by an industrial diesel shunter!

On the other hand I'd like to see an LMS Garratt!

I wouldn't buy one myself, but have you considered 89001?

For starters it's very distinctive and cool looking looking. Since most people aren't versed in the differences between the 81/2/3/4/5/6/7 loco family, if you do an 81 you'll effectively be competing against Bachmann's 85 as well as the existing Hornby and Heljan AC loco models. 89001 also carried several liveries, so you can sell one of each to the collectors.

The first two Bulleid electrics CC1/2 also fit the same crtieria - nobody else does anything similar, and they carried lots of different liveries. I would buy those....

I'd give first generation DMUs a wide berth. There are already several models on the market, and again the typical modeller isn't likely to buy something that's similar to a model he's already got.

I'd also avoid main line diesel locos. Apart from the class 16 and some of the Irish classes, pretty much everything has been covered or is in the pipeline. Shunters are another matter though - there is a gap in the market for a BR 0-4-0 diesel shunter to modern standards. If you can do one for £45ish then it would definitelty sell.

MK2 'Aircons' as most seem to suggest but with the added incentive of a DBSO to tag on the back....

I'd have the confidence that a smaller manufacturer such as Realtrack would produce quite a few livery variants although tooling variants could arguably be tricky - just how many Mk2 RFOs (for example) would sell to make a tooling viable? I'd imagine DBSOs would sell but how tricky would making various tooling variants be for ScR/Anglia/NR variants?

IMO, the Mk2f is the last great 'coaching gap' out there - their use is country wide and covers several decades and eras (much more so than another Southern unit of which we've been quite lucky to get the amount we have recently). The airfix models just don't cut it alongside Bachmanns Mk1s and 2s (and arguably the Limby Mk3s) and i'd imagine they'd have a lot of support.

As with some other posters here, i'd also be happy to put my money where my mouth is on a few large rakes of aircons and several DBSOs if such became a reality.

• RMweb Gold

One of the trailer cars that came with the introduction of Class 121/122 bubble cars. Not sure if they had a class number but were 56280-56299 and didn't have a guard's compartment.

Whilst on the subject of bubble cars, a 122 or conversion parts for the Hornby/Lima model cabs. I think Chris Leigh used to do something but out of production now?

THIS. :drinks:

Charlie, you make it a decent (better than Lima!) J50 and you can put my name down for four. The J50 is so important to anyone modelling Eastern/North Eastern and similar, it's not funny. That there's no decent RTR of one of the most numerous LNER tank classes is something of a problem for a Copley Hill man. <_<

• RMweb Gold

I'd be happy to add my vote for the Mk2 aircons, but as an alternative I was out photographing a little train on Thursday that would be nice...

How about the Hastings profile inspection saloon 975025 'Caroline'

http://www.railwayherald.co.uk/imaging.centre/showimage.php?image=125311

Another thread here on RMWEB

Happily runs along with all sorts of locos, I've seen it around here in Suffolk in push-pull mode with 33s and 37s and also behind a 47 although I'm not sure if that's able to propel it.

MartinC

• RMweb Gold

I'm not greatly into industrials myself but there seems to be some good support here?

I had this kinda thought.......

We all benefit from manufacturers and suppliers who are in good financial shape and who deliver all the goodies we want.

The recent Dapol Sentinel mechanism seems to be getting rave reviews. Is there any leeway for you to tie in with Dapol and give them greater sales for their mechanism, with you doing something/s to fit on top?

The recent Dapol Sentinel mechanism seems to be getting rave reviews. Is there any leeway for you to tie in with Dapol and give them greater sales for their mechanism, with you doing something/s to fit on top?

Thomas Hill rebuilt a lot of Sentinal steamers into industrial diesels. So not a bad idea if possible.

• RMweb Gold

Your other thread suggested you were thinking of a loco next and I think the Class 07 (as they became) diesel shunters are the sort of attractive looking loco that might be good for sales although it's not my Regional interest. If you were going the r-t-r dmu route (for a second time - and we don't know what the other one is yet if I read things correctly) my vote goes for a Swindon Cross Country (Class 120 latterly) 3 car set.

THIS. :drinks:

Charlie, you make it a decent (better than Lima!) J50 and you can put my name down for four. The J50 is so important to anyone modelling Eastern/North Eastern and similar, it's not funny. That there's no decent RTR of one of the most numerous LNER tank classes is something of a problem for a Copley Hill man. dry.gif

another reason I thought itd be a good seller is because Lima did it, Lima seem to have sold plenty,and itll be a well known loco to modellers and collectors because theyve had the Lima one or seen them over the years

trying to think of other things that the main manufacturers made we havent seen newer versions of.

Mike

DMU = class 120/123/124

Rolling Stock = mk2 e/f

Like alot have said before! these are being cryed out for and have been for nearly a decade. Just cant understand why non of the big two/three manufacturers havem taken the gamble

Totally agree, mk2 e's etc are well overdue.

The Electrostar series of EMU's would make total sense to match the forthcoming Bachmann Desiro units, and they have 3rd rail and OHLE appeal you'd have a good base market.

You'd have to get in quick before one of the big boys did it though

Mike

Agreed with Jim, Mk2E/F coaches including all major variations.

Secondly, perhaps it would be good to go for a Bombardier product such as the 377, have it modular so that most other Bombardier 37X products can be created. Or alternatively, 185 or 222 units.

Hi Charlie and Arran

Just a thought as no one else seems to have mentioned them how aboout one or two of the older Ferry Vans that would have come over on the train ferries, suitable for the late 60's early 70's

Ian

Hi,

Firstly, Thank you for asking us all directly what we would like produced in model form and giving us the opportunity to have a say.

I can certainly see a market for super detailed air conditioned Mk2 coaches, plenty of variety and colours etc, but whatever ones you choose will be wrong for somebody !

I'd like to request the whole of the 'Electrostar' family of Electric Multiple Units, Class 375, 376, 377, 378, 379 and include all of the variants.

Would it be possible to do what the manufacturers do and make a range of common parts such as body side, roof, end panels and under frame components, thus simplifying the production and making the same variety possible as on the real thing ?

Finally, I am constantly asking myself why the big boy's such as Hornby and Bachmann have not attempted the likes of an all new Class 59, 67 or 73 Locomotive, there must be a very good business reason for not doing these despite frequent requests............unless you can understand this, it might be advisable to steer clear even though plenty of us are calling for all new models.

Thanks again,

All the best.......

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Pete Macfarland said:

I'd give first generation DMUs a wide berth. There are already several models on the market, and again the typical modeller isn't likely to buy something that's similar to a model he's already got.

Hmmm! Problem is that we WR modellers aint ever had a decent RTR one! Hence 120 could be a winner

Kind regards

Phil

Hi,

Firstly, Thank you for asking us all directly what we would like produced in model form and giving us the opportunity to have a say.

I can certainly see a market for super detailed air conditioned Mk2 coaches, plenty of variety and colours etc, but whatever ones you choose will be wrong for somebody !

I'd like to request the whole of the 'Electrostar' family of Electric Multiple Units, Class 375, 376, 377, 378, 379 and include all of the variants.

Would it be possible to do what the manufacturers do and make a range of common parts such as body side, roof, end panels and under frame components, thus simplifying the production and making the same variety possible as on the real thing ?

Finally, I am constantly asking myself why the big boy's such as Hornby and Bachmann have not attempted the likes of an all new Class 59, 67 or 73 Locomotive, there must be a very good business reason for not doing these despite frequent requests............unless you can understand this, it might be advisable to steer clear even though plenty of us are calling for all new models.

Thanks again,

All the best.......

Dave

[/quote

The 67 is a ALL NEW Hornby product, the 73 possibly Hornby as they have the motor unit and bogies now, as for a 59! No thanks. Best one to do is the 67 but Hornby has that one sorted (I Believe)

Archived