Realtrack Models looking for suggestions!

charliepetty

• RMweb Gold

This sort of thing really isn't my natural province, bur whenever RMWeb has one of those uncontrolled frothing events, a consistent theme among steam-era people is demand for humble 0-6-0s, both tank and tender. Commercial chassis now being really rather good - at least compared with the way they were in my yoof - I do see a market for popular prototypes here. Golden Arrow do a couple, I think, but the range of locos is huge, while their dimensions are all relatively similar. Worth some study?

How about the APT,'Avocet' or P2? :pleasantry:

Now back to reality:

some Scottish steam engines- or those of a pre grouping company would be a real boon. how many pre-groupers lasted in BR days yet how many have been covered? Bachmann's doing the C Class and Dukedog- what about something simple and long lived like a 'Coal Tank', 'Jumbo' or one of the LNER/Scottish 4-4-0s. Or an Atlantic... :rolleyes:

Since the LNWR G2 has been done, maybe the 'Austin Seven' of the LMS- reasonably long lived and used in many places.

I second the call for more industrial steam/diesel locos, especially as one or two types are close to Australian prototypes (OO/HO not withstanding).

Not my scale, but I've been watching the development of the DMU with interest, as it looks to be an extremely detailed and well-made model. Given this is your first RTR loco, it would be worth thinking what reputation you want, before picking from the disparate(!) list of suggestions above.

As some have already said, ask what modelers want, and they tell you their dream lists, not all of which are economically practical - the APT for example.

If you switch to something totally different, say a steam shunter or a APT, what does it say about your range? It makes you a smaller version of Hornby or Bachmann. Much better in my opinion to become know for producing superb models in one particular area - multiple units or on-track plant for example.

There is a danger of simply producing all the classes the 'big boys' haven't released, as there are probably sound business reasons why they've not released them!

David

Hi Charlie and Arran,

This is great of you to allow us to suggest what would make us part with our cash. I have read through this thread over a few evenings now, before adding my thoughts. I base my suggestions on previous models i have mentioned, along with considering what the Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol are likely to release. Lastly I have also considered something i thing you have mentioned a few times, RealTrack Models is for niche produces, unique and quirky - Thus protecting yourselves from entrusion from the bigger manafacturers. Also, Modern Image to mean, means a unit i can find on the network today!

Firstly, I would love to see a Plasser & Theurer Tamping Machine. Though there are many different models/types, a quick review through Google shows there are modern units of the same model/type, with different operators. Livery options on a correctly selected model could include Colas Rail, Amey, Baffour Beatty, Volker Rail and Network Rail. A Plasser & Theurer Tamping Machine would be a great addition to "trackside" equipment and models, something i feel is going to be the new market for modelling manafacturers, especially if Bachmann's MPV sells well. I did half expect Bachmann to annonce one for there 2011 range, they didnt, but i would not be surprised if they dont within the next 5 years. But as in the opening of this suggestion, I highlighted there are many types/models made by Plasser & Theurer. Thus i would imagine most modellers could own a RealTrack Models and a Bachmanns!

Secondly, I have mentioned in an earlier RealTracks Models thread, it was seemed to be well recieved, a Track laying machine such as the YEA Perch/Porpoise Long Welded Rail Train. A YEA (and similar track laying machinary) is very quirky, goes with EWS, GBRf, DBS, Freightliner, Colas so alot of modelling scope. It could be a yard in length so it could be filled with Peco rail, or perhaps you could model the Perch and Porpoise with two YEA wagons, then with addtional wagons avaiable for those who wanted the scale length? A later poster suggested to use a rubber based long weilded rail for flexibility, or even a metalic plastic, such used in over head cabling for electric layouts. Again i suggest this as it is unique and niche, but there would be the market for it, it is certainly something i dont think the big manafacturers would consider.

Thirdly, I would naturally sway to suggest a Freightliner FSA/FTA flats along with suitable containers. Yet i truely feel this is in one of the three big manafactuers plans, Thus lets stay with the unique/quirky RealTrack Models theme and suggest some container flats along the EWS lines. Two ideal wagons come to mind, the FAA which C-Rail HiCubes are already ideal container candidates and the FCA wagons that i think alot of modellers wish to have, yet i dont see Dapol moderfying there FEA wagons to make FCA (Sorry but to me they look similar!).

Fourthly, I suggested this a few days ago, to no reception, but i shall note it again as i do truly believe it is unique and different, with high geographical and layout modelling scope. I mean what modern depot doesnt have one! A Niteq 1500 and 2000 battery depot shunters. I think they are so different, a dummy one would be more useful as then it can be coupled to ones Bachmann 350 or ones Hornby 390 (etc) with the look of it is doing the shunting!

Fiftly and Lastly for now, I would love to agree about Electrostar suggestions, but this is seriously Bachmann/Hornby terroritory - I promise right now i shall eat Mushrooms for a year if Hornby dont announce a Class 375/377! Likewise with the Class 185 Desiro, Bachmann will nodoubt get around to this within the next 5 years. Thus, I shall stay to the remit of RealTrack Models and go with a quirky suggestion of the Alstom Cordia Classes 175 and 180. Like with your Class 143/144 project, these have exactly the same bodyshells, with only different nose cones. In total i can think of 4 liveries for the Class 175 and 6 liveries for the Class 180. I certainly feel these trains fit into the Realtracks Models brand, i certainly do not see Bachmann or Hornby ever producing them, but i certainly would think there is a good enough market out for them. Alone, thinking of Arriva Trains Wales, on the market right now there is the Class 142, 143 (soon to be), 153, 150, 158 and 57. I would imagine all those models owners would love a Class 175, added to the geography they 175 opperates...more modellers would wish to buy them too. As for the Class 180, where have these units not been! I would have 3 at least!

I hope i have come accross as a man who has taken time to suggest some modern image, unique and quirky models, ideally suited to the RealTracks Models mission statement and brand. Models that certainly will not be in competition with the big manafacturers. Then again, I have high hopes that Realtrack Models, on reception of the Class 143/144 shall soon be a big manafacturer themselves!

(Just to note, I do have suggestions adding into the C-Rail range, but i know i have made them known to Arran - Network Rail RHTT container equipment would be epic!)

Like with your Class 143/144 project, these have exactly the same bodyshells, with only different nose cones. In total i can think of 4 liveries for the Class 175 and 6 liveries for the Class 180. I certainly feel these trains fit into the Realtracks Models brand, i certainly do not see Bachmann or Hornby ever producing them, but i certainly would think there is a good enough market out for them. Alone, thinking of Arriva Trains Wales, on the market right now there is the Class 142, 143 (soon to be), 153, 150, 158 and 57. I would imagine all those models owners would love a Class 175, added to the geography they 175 opperates...more modellers would wish to buy them too. As for the Class 180, where have these units not been! I would have 3 at least!

Hmmm. I can see the 175 having some mileage, but the 180?

First, the bodyshells are similar but not the same on the two classes, even taking the different noses (not cones, surely, conicity is restricted to planes and rockets) into account. The big downside on the 180 would be the cost of a unit, with five cars probably pushing it out of many modellers' budgets, that's assuming it's a popular prototype in the first place.

I'm sure a 180 would be popular - they have a wider geographical scope of operation, featuring the Western and East Coast main lines, having worked from Cornwall to Yorkshire and County Durham, pretty much a similar geographical spread to the forthcoming railbuses. They have potential for two versions of FGW "Barbie" livery, the Hull Trains livery and the rather sleek Grand Central livery, as well as "Barbie" with temporary Northern branding. A five car unit might cost slightly more than Bachmann's five car Voyager, but I wouldn't have thought much more. From what I can see there is a considerable amount of commonality between the Class 175 and 185 intermediate vehicles, and apart from the front end, the driving vehicles appear to have similar length bodyshells, with one window difference. I seem to recall reading at the time they were ordered for the old North West Trains franchise it was reported that apart from internal fittings and the different front end treatment, the bodyshells were the same and based on the "Nightstar" coach structure, so I would imagine given how the differences between the 143 and 144 are being modelled, clever tooling design should allow both classes to be modelled.

I also share the view that an industrial diesel shunter might be a popular move, I'm no expert on industrial shunting locos but I think there is potential for say one of the Rolls Royce/Sentinel jobs the NCB, Army and others have used over the years, quite an attractive loco as well.

I dread to think about the Sound 180s! Capturing that hideous scream they have!

I'd much rather see a Class 185, mainly as I see them everyday. Good northern geographical area too.

• RMweb Gold

If you're seriously considering steam age models as diversification, and if the Eastern types mentioned are serious contenders another thing desperately missing is Thompson suburban stock.

Hornby are about to do Gresleys but I can't see them doing Thompsons for many a long year.

like to add the following

steam due of Gloucester

freight wagons the plant conversions of container flats, warwell, warfalt and ramp wagons and to add the pca used on the alcan trains

dmu how about class 126 3 and 6 car packs just the one run and thats your lot

• RMweb Gold

I'll jump on the mk2 aircon and Electrostar bandwagons :)

Also wouldn't mind seeing a 442 Wessex Electric and 180, I think those two are less likely Hornby and Bachmann candidates.

Hi Charlie and Arran,

This is great of you to allow us to suggest what would make us part with our cash. I have read through this thread over a few evenings now, before adding my thoughts. I base my suggestions on previous models i have mentioned, along with considering what the Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol are likely to release. Lastly I have also considered something i thing you have mentioned a few times, RealTrack Models is for niche produces, unique and quirky - Thus protecting yourselves from entrusion from the bigger manafacturers. Also, Modern Image to mean, means a unit i can find on the network today!

Firstly, I would love to see a Plasser & Theurer Tamping Machine. Though there are many different models/types, a quick review through Google shows there are modern units of the same model/type, with different operators. Livery options on a correctly selected model could include Colas Rail, Amey, Baffour Beatty, Volker Rail and Network Rail. A Plasser & Theurer Tamping Machine would be a great addition to "trackside" equipment and models, something i feel is going to be the new market for modelling manafacturers, especially if Bachmann's MPV sells well. I did half expect Bachmann to annonce one for there 2011 range, they didnt, but i would not be surprised if they dont within the next 5 years. But as in the opening of this suggestion, I highlighted there are many types/models made by Plasser & Theurer. Thus i would imagine most modellers could own a RealTrack Models and a Bachmanns!

Secondly, I have mentioned in an earlier RealTracks Models thread, it was seemed to be well recieved, a Track laying machine such as the YEA Perch/Porpoise Long Welded Rail Train. A YEA (and similar track laying machinary) is very quirky, goes with EWS, GBRf, DBS, Freightliner, Colas so alot of modelling scope. It could be a yard in length so it could be filled with Peco rail, or perhaps you could model the Perch and Porpoise with two YEA wagons, then with addtional wagons avaiable for those who wanted the scale length? A later poster suggested to use a rubber based long weilded rail for flexibility, or even a metalic plastic, such used in over head cabling for electric layouts. Again i suggest this as it is unique and niche, but there would be the market for it, it is certainly something i dont think the big manafacturers would consider.

Thirdly, I would naturally sway to suggest a Freightliner FSA/FTA flats along with suitable containers. Yet i truely feel this is in one of the three big manafactuers plans, Thus lets stay with the unique/quirky RealTrack Models theme and suggest some container flats along the EWS lines. Two ideal wagons come to mind, the FAA which C-Rail HiCubes are already ideal container candidates and the FCA wagons that i think alot of modellers wish to have, yet i dont see Dapol moderfying there FEA wagons to make FCA (Sorry but to me they look similar!).

Fourthly, I suggested this a few days ago, to no reception, but i shall note it again as i do truly believe it is unique and different, with high geographical and layout modelling scope. I mean what modern depot doesnt have one! A Niteq 1500 and 2000 battery depot shunters. I think they are so different, a dummy one would be more useful as then it can be coupled to ones Bachmann 350 or ones Hornby 390 (etc) with the look of it is doing the shunting!

Fiftly and Lastly for now, I would love to agree about Electrostar suggestions, but this is seriously Bachmann/Hornby terroritory - I promise right now i shall eat Mushrooms for a year if Hornby dont announce a Class 375/377! Likewise with the Class 185 Desiro, Bachmann will nodoubt get around to this within the next 5 years. Thus, I shall stay to the remit of RealTrack Models and go with a quirky suggestion of the Alstom Cordia Classes 175 and 180. Like with your Class 143/144 project, these have exactly the same bodyshells, with only different nose cones. In total i can think of 4 liveries for the Class 175 and 6 liveries for the Class 180. I certainly feel these trains fit into the Realtracks Models brand, i certainly do not see Bachmann or Hornby ever producing them, but i certainly would think there is a good enough market out for them. Alone, thinking of Arriva Trains Wales, on the market right now there is the Class 142, 143 (soon to be), 153, 150, 158 and 57. I would imagine all those models owners would love a Class 175, added to the geography they 175 opperates...more modellers would wish to buy them too. As for the Class 180, where have these units not been! I would have 3 at least!

I hope i have come accross as a man who has taken time to suggest some modern image, unique and quirky models, ideally suited to the RealTracks Models mission statement and brand. Models that certainly will not be in competition with the big manafacturers. Then again, I have high hopes that Realtrack Models, on reception of the Class 143/144 shall soon be a big manafacturer themselves!

(Just to note, I do have suggestions adding into the C-Rail range, but i know i have made them known to Arran - Network Rail RHTT container equipment would be epic!)

Thanks for all that. The main criteria is liveries, no good doing something like a loco, shunter or unit that only has two liveries, the more liveries the better, as said before our next unit is sorted and will please many, the PCA wagon is ongoing as we speak, our current FLA has sold well but is limited as its only 'Freightliner', its the containers that make it colourful & popular. We are not planning to re-release any of the old FLA numbersets again. so when there gone, there gone!

Our main problem is getting a range of 'todays' stock without being chopped up by someone! Time will tell. Charlie

Trans Pennine (6 car, naturally), then I can defer the building of my MTK version a little longer......

Any medium to large industrial, steam or diesel, I'm easily pleased!

Hmmm. I can see the 175 having some mileage, but the 180?

First, the bodyshells are similar but not the same on the two classes, even taking the different noses (not cones, surely, conicity is restricted to planes and rockets) into account. The big downside on the 180 would be the cost of a unit, with five cars probably pushing it out of many modellers' budgets, that's assuming it's a popular prototype in the first place.

....Bachmann 4 car Class 220, Bachmann 5 car Class 221, Hornby 9 car Class 390 and Hornby 6 car Class 395....come to mind of similar length Multiple Units that sell well, though are £xxx :)

The Alstom Coradia (UK) ie, 175 and 180, hold exactly the same bodyshells...brief history found here: www.nwrail.org.uk/c175

I was logging on to reply to you Chard, but Wombatoffludham has answered exactly what i wanted to say, thus i merely need to add: Here here! lol

I'm sure a 180 would be popular - they have a wider geographical scope of operation, featuring the Western and East Coast main lines, having worked from Cornwall to Yorkshire and County Durham, pretty much a similar geographical spread to the forthcoming railbuses. They have potential for two versions of FGW "Barbie" livery, the Hull Trains livery and the rather sleek Grand Central livery, as well as "Barbie" with temporary Northern branding. A five car unit might cost slightly more than Bachmann's five car Voyager, but I wouldn't have thought much more. From what I can see there is a considerable amount of commonality between the Class 175 and 185 intermediate vehicles, and apart from the front end, the driving vehicles appear to have similar length bodyshells, with one window difference. I seem to recall reading at the time they were ordered for the old North West Trains franchise it was reported that apart from internal fittings and the different front end treatment, the bodyshells were the same and based on the "Nightstar" coach structure, so I would imagine given how the differences between the 143 and 144 are being modelled, clever tooling design should allow both classes to be modelled.

I cant remember why i thought of 6 liveries now :S Oh well!

I dread to think about the Sound 180s! Capturing that hideous scream they have!

The dropping of spanners onto a concrete floor should do the trick! ;)

I'd much rather see a Class 185, mainly as I see them everyday. Good northern geographical area too.

I didnt mean i wouldnt love a Class 185. I dont even live "Up North" but whenever i am up there, first thing i do is go for a ride on a 185. love em! Id certainly have a mini fleet of the models. But as Bachmann have the Class 350 coming up and there are only two possiable liveries. It is a massive risk for RealTrack and a pretty certain model for Bachmann in the future?

Thanks for all that. The main criteria is liveries, no good doing something like a loco, shunter or unit that only has two liveries, the more liveries the better, as said before our next unit is sorted and will please many, the PCA wagon is ongoing as we speak, our current FLA has sold well but is limited as its only 'Freightliner', its the containers that make it colourful & popular. We are not planning to re-release any of the old FLA numbersets again. so when there gone, there gone!

Our main problem is getting a range of 'todays' stock without being chopped up by someone! Time will tell. Charlie

Gosh! My suggestions was rather long, clearly i thought too hard about it! I knew i was right about RealTracks being about 'todays' stuff :) The tamper will be rather tricky to do, alot of effort, but is is do-able i think. Certainly enough liveries if the correct model/product is choosen. One thing for sure, the big manafacturers will be scared to do it as there so many to choose from, something i would imagine yours and Arrans attention to detail would excel in!

what about a decent 101 DMU.The old lima model(now done by Hornby) is hardly up to todays standards and has carried many liveries.The selling point is of course that they were seen country-wide and lasted a long time.

Also wouldn't mind seeing a 442 Wessex Electric and 180, I think those two are less likely Hornby and Bachmann candidates.

Totally forgot to multiquote you in! Class 442, Yes! I totally forgot to suggest that. Funny enough when i first found out about RealTrack models i instantly thought, i know! I shall set up my own company for the sole purpose to commission a Class 442 as it would be a massive seller. Soon as i looked into it a little more, i thought best to stay with playing with mud (Im a Geographer) and wish, hope, prey, make sacfrices to the gods...that one day someone else, who is able to produce outstanding models, would be able to make some Class 442s - Wonder who i am thinking would be ideal for the job ;)

• RMweb Premium

What about the class 323 EMU?

Due to it only been seen generally in the West Midlands and the Manchester area I can't see it being produced by the bigger manufacturers. Another angle from your point of view is most of them were built by Hunslet (except for the last few at Kilmarnock) at Jack Lane, Leeds.

I didnt mean i wouldnt love a Class 185. I dont even live "Up North" but whenever i am up there, first thing i do is go for a ride on a 185. love em!

'Love em'?! Really?

I think the 170 is far more comfortable!

I've travelled a lot on both types of units (first and standard class) and the 170 is my preferred unit.

what about a decent 101 DMU.

Given that the 101 was actually Charlie's first DMU kit, more years ago than I care to think about, and that (as somebody has already said) it's an obvious one for Bachmann to move on to, I dont think Charlie is that daft somehow...B)

Archived