Realtrack Models looking for suggestions!

charliepetty

Having read through this, from a personal point of view I would love to see the Swindon 120s, many a trip taken on them from Derby to Crewe, Nottingham and Matlock. Good scope for operating areas, as they were also operating from Ayr.

I'd go with this one as well. Commercially it would make sense with a huge catchment area, Penzance to Aberdeen and Inverness; Aberystwyth to Gt Yarmouth and Skegness.

Guest eddie reffin

As someone further up mentioned, it would seem sensible to stick to a specific subject and produce a number of different models. For example, the FLA is a cracking model so why not follow it up with some of the EWS types? FAA, FKA etc. All to be scaled down to N preferably!

As for a unit/loco, thats more difficult. Getting the right prototype which allows maximum liveries (sales), a good geographic spread and as wide a timespan as possible won't be easy (or please everyone).

Th big manufacturers are hoovering up all the remaining subjects at an alarming rate so there won't be too much left in the unit/loco market that will be financially viable for Charlie and Arran. Whereas stock to hang behind the locos isn't quite as abundant.

Personally, I get a bit frustrated at the lack of modern intermodal wagons in N so would like to see a few more intoduced ie. FLA, KQA(pocket wagon), FAA, FCA & FSA. (Guess here my interests lie!)

Whatever they choose to do, I am sure it will be well researched and well produced- I had a good look at some of the recent C-Rail containers (reefers) and they are superb! Good luck to them.

Cheers

Eddie

Ok one more suggestion from me! But be warned, it is out there, so i duck my head and run as i press post!

If the rumours are true and Direct Rail Services are indeed going to order 20 Vossloh Eurolight 4000s, then perhaps there could be a wise subtle move here ;)

Like Bachmann getting the exclusive rights for the GE Class 70, perhaps some early networking with Vossloh and DRS could land you with the exclusive rights to produce a model of the Eurolight 4000 if the contract between DRS and Vossloh is ever signed? Could be a clever move?

vl_2604_53.jpg

Picture reference to: Martin22200 (2011) "themessroom.co.uk"

Ok one more suggestion from me! But be warned, it is out there, so i duck my head and run as i press post!

If the rumours are true and Direct Rail Services are indeed going to order 20 Vossloh Eurolight 4000s, then perhaps there could be a wise subtle move here ;)

Like Bachmann getting the exclusive rights for the GE Class 70, perhaps some early networking with Vossloh and DRS could land you with the exclusive rights to produce a model of the Eurolight 4000 if the contract between DRS and Vossloh is ever signed? Could be a clever move?

vl_2604_53.jpg

Picture reference to: Martin22200 (2011) "themessroom.co.uk"

This looks to be a most interesting development, as far as I know there are other UK operators looking at these as well........does anyone know who else ?

Imagine one of these in DB Schenker red !!!

I'm going to be brave and suggest that the livery 'variations' on UK trains now is beyond the point of daft, in that they change so frequently in such a short space of time.

Is this still such a consideration for model manufacturers considering new products, as in no time at all it is highly likely that the original livery will change and thus provide the potential for alternative production runs/income.

Dave

...as far as I know there are other UK operators looking at these as well........does anyone know who else ?...

I have read rumours that GBRf are interested too! Europorte has just bought a few of the bigger Euro 4000s. But the UK MD of GBRf has been on record saying the Vossloh Eurolight 4000 is more interesting to GBRf than the GE Class 70! The Eurolight 4000 has certainly had its designs moderfied by Vossloh for UK Loading Gauge. Chatter is that DRS order is likely...thus what a cracking locomotive for RealTrack Models to get their teeth into?!

My vote goes to the 175/180 proposal. Plenty of livery choices, and wide geographical spread.

Also a 180, particularly has the advantage of being a full size intercity formation, but without being as long as an eg, 2+8 HST. I would have thought the market and financials for 180s would be pretty similar to the 220/221 models already on the market.

Class 90 (the Hornby model is very outdated)

Only spec wise - it's a decently proportioned and accurate model so if you want a 90 it's a great place to start. I think there's more mileage in other prototypes for a smaller company.

Only spec wise - it's a decently proportioned and accurate model so if you want a 90 it's a great place to start. I think there's more mileage in other prototypes for a smaller company.

Hornby have improved it by adding new motor and a dcc socket but it's still outdated compared to more recent offerings.

Guest jim s-w

I dunno, the large bodyside grills are very wrong, silhouette is ok though.

Cheers

Jim

Steam:-

A J50 for me. The only worry is its quite a long time since any new LNER small shunters have been made, and it would be a mighty blow if Hornby for example were to update the Lima one just after you commit to doing one.

Diesel:-

Class 05 would be a good choice. Very distinctive looking, and I don't see any of the big boys jumping on this to readily.

Jim

Diesel:-

Class 05 would be a good choice. Very distinctive looking, and I don't see any of the big boys jumping on this to readily.

Jim

I was only looking for the A1 models class 05 kit the other day, so, yeah, I'd be in for that one too. As for DMU's if the Trans Pennine is not an option, I'd settle for a 120......

Hi all,

Myself I would like to see the Class 59 that has been talked about on hear in all its incarnations Foster Yeoman, ARC, National Power and EWS, Also we have the HTA and HHA bogie coal hopper wagons operated by DBS and Freightliner Heavy Haul so why not follow it up with the former Natioanl Power JHA and JMA wagons that would be of benefit to people wishing to both model Stone and Coal Trains I know Dapol are doing a HIA Stone Hopper it would be nice to see the small HXA coal hopper being done.

At the moment there we are spoilt for choice with various open wagons and vans like VDAVAA/VGA along with the Cargo Waggon that Hejian do but there is one wagon that has been missed and that is the F2 type that has recently been withdrawn these wagons could be found on many block workings and many Speedlink and Enterprise trips and I think they would be a hit.

On the DMU/EMU front I agree with the gent who posted before about wanting some pressed steel DMU's it would be good to see 115/116/117/118 units knocking around in all the different liveries that they carried be nice just to see them in NSE livery I think as well the TPE 185 and electro stars would be a sell out as well.

The line side furniture nice one great idea would love to see some signals colour light and semaphore along with different types like Creep signals that you find in colliery's and power stations along with all sorts of line side signs, tpws grids that sort of thing I think is a cracking idea.

Well that's my 2pennith worth.....................

Hi all,

Myself I would like to see the Class 59 that has been talked about on hear in all its incarnations Foster Yeoman, ARC, National Power and EWS, Also we have the HTA and HHA bogie coal hopper wagons operated by DBS and Freightliner Heavy Haul so why not follow it up with the former Natioanl Power JHA and JMA wagons that would be of benefit to people wishing to both model Stone and Coal Trains I know Dapol are doing a HIA Stone Hopper it would be nice to see the small HXA coal hopper being done.

At the moment there we are spoilt for choice with various open wagons and vans like VDAVAA/VGA along with the Cargo Waggon that Hejian do but there is one wagon that has been missed and that is the F2 type that has recently been withdrawn these wagons could be found on many block workings and many Speedlink and Enterprise trips and I think they would be a hit.

On the DMU/EMU front I agree with the gent who posted before about wanting some pressed steel DMU's it would be good to see 115/116/117/118 units knocking around in all the different liveries that they carried be nice just to see them in NSE livery I think as well the TPE 185 and electro stars would be a sell out as well.

The line side furniture nice one great idea would love to see some signals colour light and semaphore along with different types like Creep signals that you find in colliery's and power stations along with all sorts of line side signs, tpws grids that sort of thing I think is a cracking idea.

Well that's my 2pennith worth.....................

I agree that it's more likely RealTrack will stick to more niche subjects and I can't see HornBachJanPol doing something like a Coradia/Juniper just yet. The problem with doing 4, 5 and 6 car MU's is the cost. Maybe Charlie can enlighten us on how "do-able" such units are for "small operators", so to speak?

I *think* the Coradia/Adelante would share many components - from a (purely cursory) look the 175 and 180 appear to share centre cars and what in model terms would be the rolling platform/mech, with just a different driving car body.

If that theory holds up it would be just three bodies (inner car, 175 driving, 180 driving) plus one chassis in powered/dummy versions and all three variants of the 175/180s can be done, if so that's an easy win in my book with loads of liveries (including Grand Central's which is just gorgeous!) and covering ops from London to Llandudno, Penzance to Preston and Seaham to Swansea... ;)

I think the OTP suggestions are good, but I wouldn't want to guess what the market is like. A modern Plasser tamper would give you lots of liveries if you picked the right one, a 'leftfield' suggestion would be a stoneblower (at least 2 liveries, but both yellow!) or one of the cute Harsco grinders (a 2-unit train but I think both cars are the same - only one livery though...)

Firstly, I would love to see a Plasser & Theurer Tamping Machine. Though there are many different models/types, a quick review through Google shows there are modern units of the same model/type, with different operators. Livery options on a correctly selected model could include Colas Rail, Amey, Baffour Beatty, Volker Rail and Network Rail. A Plasser & Theurer Tamping Machine would be a great addition to "trackside" equipment and models, something i feel is going to be the new market for modelling manafacturers, especially if Bachmann's MPV sells well. I did half expect Bachmann to annonce one for there 2011 range, they didnt, but i would not be surprised if they dont within the next 5 years. But as in the opening of this suggestion, I highlighted there are many types/models made by Plasser & Theurer. Thus i would imagine most modellers could own a RealTrack Models and a Bachmanns!

I have done a little bit of googling as mentioned in my main post. Rather interesting really. I thought i would present my finding :)

For a Plasser & Theurer Tamping Machine could include Colas Rail, Amey, Baffour Beatty, Babcock and Network Rail. Sadly for Volker Rail and Grant Rail..a Matisa Tamping machine would be required, see photo link:

http://rail-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Volker_Rail-News.com-Picture.jpg

It is interesting that a Plasser & Theurer 5000 RT was mentioned. As these perfectly match combinations with the Plasser & Theurer 09-3X Series, in which I have found that a company called Kibri do these in HO scale:

http://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/article_data/images/43/85380_c.jpg

The 5000 RT and 09-3X Series seem to only be used by Amey and Network Rail:

http://www.therailwaycentre.com/NewSite%20POD%202010/POD15-04-10.jpg

Thus my finding for the perfect model for Charlie and Arran to consider going for from the Plasser & Theurer is the 08-16 C100 Universal Tamping machine, see Plasser & Theurer link for added factual information, including this diagram: http://www.plasser.c...164x4c100rt.htm

http://www.plasser.co.uk/images/08164x4c100rt.gif

The Plasser & Theurer is the 08-16 C100 Universal certainly lives up to its name. It comes in no less than 3 Colas Rail liveries, Amey, Baffour Beatty, Babcock and Network Rail...Ideal i think for Realtrack Models to truly get value from the tooling...I would also say, it has to be the most "simple" to model, compared to the more complex 09-3X and 5000 RT...I think the HO Kibri model highlights how toy lick Tamping machines can look due to there complexity. (Something i believe Bachmann found when developing the MPV, hence why it has taken may years to design and produce)

I have found these following images, showing the livery variation. I do feel this is the most realistic chance of a Tamping machine we have?

Colas:

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/gj110507-73919-welshpool.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2103/2462368859_20c95d12b2.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2555/4179074541_5bda4f6591.jpg

Amey:

http://www.railwayherald.co.uk/images/photos/750/750169250.jpg

Babcock:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2300/5699305396_046791d32b.jpg

Balfour Beatty:

http://www.hentis-rail.co.uk/Images/July-Dec05/DR73928Poole191205e.JPG

Just to add, look how complex the 5000 RT is to model! Further supporting a case for a 08-16 :)

http://train-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/5211.jpg

Looking through the pics you've linked there are quite a range of different configurations there, some with trailers, some without, I would have thought that keeping it to one type would be useful.

So...

Looking through my FMi wagon recognition, there seem to be two Plasser tampers types that are not uncommon:

The first is the 08-4x4/C100RT with 12 machines:

DR73924-8, 73931, 73937-9, 73943-5

They seem to be 'single unit' machines.

Operators are listed as Balfour Beatty and Colas - this is Balfour Beatty's DR73938:

ZWA73938DRBasingstoke220510-3-L.jpg

The other 'common-ish' type looks to be the 08-4x4/4S-RT with 19 machines:

DR73904-10, 14, 17, 18, 23, 29, 30, 32, 35, 36, 40-42

These are articulated on 3 bogies

Operators are listed as Amey, Babcock Rail, Balfour Beatty, Colas and Fastline

This is DR73910

ZWA73910DRBirminghamNewSt01010-L.jpg

Notes: I'm far from being an OTP expert - but there are other machines which are 'similar' to my eye to both those types but which have different model designations in the FMi book which might also be do-able if the differences are internal...

Archived