Realtrack Models looking for suggestions!

charliepetty

I know i`m going to get shot down for this but here goes.....

Looking at pictures, are the 175`s and 180`s pretty much the same with a different nose?

Matt

I'm sure I read in Modern Railways at the time the order was placed that the basic bodyshells are similar, derived from the Nightstar bodies, and that the main structural differences were the longer nose cone and extra crash protection needed for the driving cars of the 125mph Class 180 to comply with the regulations regarding the carrying of passengers in a lead vehicle of a unit at speeds above 110mph.  However we are talking some years ago and I'm not that au fait with the trains to speak authoritively, so I might be talking bovine organic waste...

• RMweb Premium

and a 180 wouldn't need a motor, just include a siding to dump it on

Certainly no need to fit speakers in each car, as it was rare to get all engines started in NR use......

Cheers,

Mick

They used to make the whole JXA kit, many years ago, but I only bought two at the time and then they stopped - that taught me a lesson. I corresponded a few years ago and he said there was no intention to resurrect it (although I didn't ask just about the bogies). I just wish he would sell the patterns or moulds on to someone who would make it again.

I bit late to the party on this one, but buffers bogies and transfers and a few other bits and pieces are still available from Appleby

HTH

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

I bit late to the party on this one, but buffers bogies and transfers and a few other bits and pieces are still available from Appleby

HTH

Simon

Sorry - been on holiday so only just seen this. Many thanks, really useful as I could face scratchbuilding the bodies if the bogies are available. I shall write again (I have his most recent address), or does he have an email contact or phone number now please?

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to note a lot of requests for 319, 321 etc. type kits. What is it that folks don't like about the Bratchell kits that they think Charlie could do much better?

Going back through the thread, interesting to note requests for many items that we never thought we would see from a mainstream manufacturer - 05, Garratt, DoG,......

It's not my thing personally, but I do think those who suggest PEP derived EMUs have the right idea. So many variants from the same body shell and operating over such wide parts of the rail network.

The front doesn't look convincing enough on the Bratchell 320/321/322 for me to splash out that kind of money on one. Something better will come along sooner or later

A Class 144 in the original Metro-train red and cream is what I'd really like to see

A 170 (180) has popped up again in my head as a route that could make sense - with there likely to be a large variety of livery changes across the 180 fleet in particular over the next 5 or so years. Together their operational range is also impressive.

A 170 (180) has popped up again in my head as a route that could make sense - with there likely to be a large variety of livery changes across the 180 fleet in particular over the next 5 or so years. Together their operational range is also impressive.

I agree there are so many possible liveries for the 180 even now!

Orignal First Great Western Barbie Blue

First Great Westerns Dynamic Lines

First Hull Trains

Grand Central Trains

Intermediate Northern Rail Livery

Then also a possibility to go on to making a 175 then as well which would include a few liveries as well

First North Western

Debranded First North Western

Debranded First North Western with Northern Rail logo's

Arriva Trains Wales

New Arriva Trains Wales

First Hull Trains

Grand Central Trains

Then also a possibility to go on to making a 175 then as well which would include a few liveries as well

First North Western

Arriva Trains Wales

New Arriva Trains Wales

We have the Drawings!!  Just need the cash!

We have the Drawings!!  Just need the cash!

Thats great news - hope you can raise the cash as if they are any where as near as good as your 144's i will be 100% purchasing a class 180 in Northern rail livery  :senile:

First Hull Trains

Grand Central Trains

First North Western

Arriva Trains Wales

New Arriva Trains Wales

When the 175's were de-branded from fNW, they never gained Northern (or TPE) logos, primarily as they moved to Wales when ATW was formed, which was before the creation of Northern. 175's only gained ATW logos over their First Group paint once the requirement to lease a small number of 175's each day to TPE had ended.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is a bit old now and this reply is probably very late but some of the DMU/EMU suggestions I would agree with. I would definitely purchase a Class 156 or 313 if in the right livery. I'm still waiting for a BR or WYPTE Pacer to be released and I'll be having some of them as well. 

In regards to avoiding the Mk3 derived EMUs I think it is probably smart to avoid them given that Bratchell do kits and Bachmann will almost certainly expand the range from their excellent Class 150. If it wasn't for this I'd suggest a 317/325. 

So would that mean a 323 or 313, with just two different bodyshell toolings and two different chassis toolings would be slightly less to tool up for?

No, all in for a 3 car unit for tooling would be £180K, then you have to buy the models, pay for shipping, VAT & Duty,       Easy really.  Charlie

I forgot to say that it was to be in N gauge.[/quote
No, all in for a 3 car unit for tooling would be £180K, then you have to buy the models, pay for shipping, VAT & Duty, Easy really. Charlie

Hi Charlie, is there any point to this thread as most suggestions now just seem to be met with a comment of costings that seem way out of reach of Rail tracks finances ?

Best regards

Craig

No one here has said we cannot afford 150K, we are adopting one suggestion as a goer!  By indicating the costs, I would have thought this might bring an appreciation of the risks ALL manufacturers go to, to get a model onto todays 4mm market.

Charlie

Archived