Rewheeling old rtr stock

• RMweb Premium

I am looking at rewheeling some of my old stock Bachmann and Dapol that has plastic wheels( my Triang went long ago) replacing with metal tyred wheels.

Unsure if this makes any difference but I am also considering for my next layout using 00 Peco finescale track code 75 at the moment all previous layouts used the original code 100? track.

Please can anyone advise the best type of replacement wheels I should be buying for my trucks and coaches...running quality over appearance please.

Thanks

Paul

Use wheels from Romford and the packs of wheels from Bachmann and Hornby.

You should be able to find ones to match the number of spokes, or various disk types that are used on different wagons.

They nominally all have the same axle length so should just pop into the same axle holes, the wheel diameters are all a bit different so some times you

have to try different makes before you get a good fit.

Plastic wheels collect a lot of dirt and gunge on their tyres, metal ones tend to stay cleaner a lot longer, but their plating can look a bit bright so you may feel the need to

darken them with a metal darkening solution, paint or the quick and easy way with a permanent ink marker pen.

I find Alan Gibson Workshop wheels a little too fine scale even for code 75 track. With their narrow tyres and small flanges they can look good but can easily bounce off rough track or sharp corners.

Don't forget the old code 100 grade track was considered fine scale compared to the earlier Triang Series Four standard of track at the time it came out.

I have a continuous ' rolling ' ( grone ) programme of wheel replacement on my layout.

Archived