Occasional Canadian photos, mostly from Vancouver area

pH

• RMweb Gold

On Saturday we had a walk round a good part of Stanley Park which also took in the minature railway in the centre of the park not far from where the number 19 bus terminates.

This little railway is celbrating its 50th Anniversary.

The 'steam' loco is actually a diesel or petrol engine!!

post-1557-0-78661900-1402289838_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

I finally got to ride the West Coast Express, although only from Waterfront to Coquitlam.

post-6959-0-71515600-1402968779.jpg

At Waterfront.

post-6959-0-39962100-1402968784.jpg

post-6959-0-69881200-1402968789.jpg

At Coquitlam.

post-6959-0-90246200-1402968798.jpg

Part of the SkyTrain Evergreen Line extension at Coquitlam, due to open in 2016.

Cheers

David

• Like 2

post-392-0-96688100-1403010553_thumb.jpg

West Coast Express, eyeing up it's overnight lodgings at Mission.

post-392-0-17072900-1403010542.jpg

Phone pic from car (I wasn't driving!), as my brother said, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!" 

I'm not sure of the exact location...

Angus

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I saw the Rocky Monutanier set parked up at its own station  in Vancouver from the Skytrain.  I always assumed that it used the Via rail station, so will have to do some investigation on our next visit (possibly next year).

Would really like to do it but its still not cheap even with the basic package between Calgary and Vancouver.

I saw the Rocky Monutanier set parked up at its own station  in Vancouver from the Skytrain.  I always assumed that it used the Via rail station, so will have to do some investigation on our next visit (possibly next year).

Would really like to do it but its still not cheap even with the basic package between Calgary and Vancouver.

Do 'The Canadian' instead, it's a 'proper' train with cruise-style onboard service. The only frustration is the delays due to freights having priority but I suspect the Rocky Mountaineer suffers that, too. The Rocky Mountaineer has its own station - I'd guess its about a mile from Pacific Terminal in Vancouver.

CHRIS LEIGH

I agree, do The Canadan instead. You see much the same scenery for a fraction of the price. Plus the stock has some history behind it. Most of the VIA stainless steel stock dates from the 1950s and some from the late 40s.

Cheers
David

I agree, do The Canadan instead. You see much the same scenery for a fraction of the price.

David

Sorry, David, I would have to disagree. If you take the Calgary section of the Rocky Mountaineer, the route east of Kamloops is different from that of the Canadian. The Rocky Mountaineer to Calgary takes the CP route, whereas the Canadian, and the Banff section of the Rocky Mountaineer, take the CN. The CP route has such delights as Rogers Pass and the Spiral Tunnels above Field - the CN route is relatively (and I emphasise 'relatively') less scenic.

Having said that, while I travelled Vancouver to Toronto by CN many years ago, I've still not managed to save up enough pennies to do the Rocky Mountaineer to Calgary!

Angus, I'm trying to work out where your 'grab shot' of the Rocky Mountaineer was taken. No flash of inspiration yet.

I reckon it is here, 49°12'06.8"N 122°53'15.5"W, we were on the new stretch of Highway 17, we were heading E, the train appeared to be heading into Vancouver over the Fraser River. I don't know if the train is stabled or serviced anywhere down that way?

Angus

I reckon it is here, 49°12'06.8"N 122°53'15.5"W, we were on the new stretch of Highway 17, we were heading E, the train appeared to be heading into Vancouver over the Fraser River. I don't know if the train is stabled or serviced anywhere down that way?

Angus

Yes, I'd just worked that out. That area of Surrey is called Brownsville, and the train is on BNSF tracks, on the way up to the Fraser River bridge over to New Westminster. That train is a new Rocky Mountaineer service between Seattle and Vancouver, meant to connect with the main services from Vancouver. It runs down to Seattle in the morning, then back up to Vancouver in the evening. It arrives in Vancouver at 9:30 PM, which fits with the lighting in your picture.   

• Like 1

Yes, the CP route has arguably the better railway features but the RM is a tourist train expensive, shepherded, supervised (and the company has a less than great record on the treatment of its staff). VIA offers old-fashioned on-board service and a train that operates a REAL service to local communities, (but usually in the face of relentless budget cuts) as railways should.

CHRIS LEIGH

• 2 weeks later...

While looking for another photo, I came across this one, which I had forgotten I'd taken:

post-1771-0-42713300-1403818005.jpg

It's an HK Porter 2-6-2T, used in logging operations, and preserved at Chemainus on Vancouver Island. The position of the air pumps makes the steps on the front of the tank pretty useless.

Does anyone know for sure the purpose of the apparatus between the chimney and the first dome? I wondered if it was the the tank filler 'hole', but from other pictures on Flickr, there are fillers on top of both tanks, and the 'box' in the centre of this device seems to have a closed top. It's been suggested on another site that it's part of a spark-suppression system, but the 'box' sits clear of the boiler top, as you can see in the photo above.   

• Like 2

South bound BNSF train heading down the coast past White Rock taken  yesterday (Thursday) morning by my GF.  (Bless her!)  

She has promised more another day. (Only  eight weeks till I'm there!)

Trev.

(edited for typo)

post-4282-0-17265800-1403850213.jpg

Edited by travelintrev
  • Like 1

Does anyone know for sure the purpose of the apparatus between the chimney and the first dome? I wondered if it was the tank filler 'hole', but from other pictures on Flickr, there are fillers on top of both tanks, and the 'box' in the centre of this device seems to have a closed top. It's been suggested on another site that it's part of a spark-suppression system, but the 'box' sits clear of the boiler top, as you can see in the photo above.   

I'll answer my own question - it's the filler for the water tanks. Here's a picture showing it in use - http://ladysmithhistoricalsociety.com/images/stories/Logging/2007-034-1781.jpg - obviously the top of the 'box' is a hinged lid. With North American water cranes (usually) having a rigid spout, rather than a 'bag', it makes sense. While there are fillers on the side tanks, this arrangement would be easier to use. 

• 1 month later...

Pete (Trisonic), in post#26 above, you asked about barge service around Vancouver. Here's a picture (you may have seen it already) of a barge approaching the SRY barge slip on Annacis Island on the Fraser River - http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=491628&nseq=66

(I tried to send this to you in a PM, but you aren't receiving new PMs.)

• 3 weeks later...

There's been previous discussion about the Arbutus line in Vancouver (posts 39-41, 53-54, 57-59). It's been disused for over a decade, the city won't allow CPR to develop it or sell for development, but won't buy it for anything near what CPR think it's worth. CP have said, in that case, they're going to restore it as a running line and, as part of that, want everyone who has taken over bits of the corridor for yards or gardens to get off the land. They set a deadline of July 31, and have now started removing what people have not moved by themselves.

Of course, this is a pressure tactic by CP to get the city to make what CP think is a more reasonable offer to buy the land. (Hunter Harrison is CEO of CP - for those who follow North American railroads, that explains a lot of this!)

Here's an interesting take on the reaction to CP's removal of 'obstructions' on their land: http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/Pete+McMartin+Urbanization+have+guessed+Kerrisdale/10122870/story.html

• Like 1

More like BetterExtendMyBackyard, surely? Bemby??

Best, Pete.

Well yes, but it was nimbyism that prevented that line from being used as a transit corridor (no noisy, smelly trains in our back yards).

There is a similar issue in Toronto with the Union-Pearon Express (aside, they've been marketing it as the UP Express - has anyone talked to UP about that name?) - the residents who live along the rail line (which is active, but doesn't have a lot of traffic) are trying to stop the development because of the noise and diesel fumes. The ones who realize that they can't stop it want the trains to be electric (but I expect a whole new round of protests if they start erecting catenary poles and power lines for that). Of course, they bought properties knowing they backed on to an active rail line.

Adrian

Well yes, but it was nimbyism that prevented that line from being used as a transit corridor (no noisy, smelly trains in our back yards).

There is a similar issue in Toronto with the Union-Pearon Express (aside, they've been marketing it as the UP Express - has anyone talked to UP about that name?) - the residents who live along the rail line (which is active, but doesn't have a lot of traffic) are trying to stop the development because of the noise and diesel fumes. The ones who realize that they can't stop it want the trains to be electric (but I expect a whole new round of protests if they start erecting catenary poles and power lines for that). Of course, they bought properties knowing they backed on to an active rail line.

Adrian

Adrian, I was not being serious..................

Pete.