What is the best thinners when using Acrylics

Guest baldrick25

I use just a small amout of 'ironing' water ie de-ionised, or Tamiya acrylica thinners for the really best jobs.

Not all acrylics are water-based (Tamiya is a case in point) so if the manufacturer recommends its own thinners, you should use that, especially for air brushing. Otherwise, use ironing water and in either case, wash your brushes in tap water.

Not all acrylics are water-based (Tamiya is a case in point) so if the manufacturer recommends its own thinners, you should use that, especially for air brushing. Otherwise, use ironing water and in either case, wash your brushes in tap water.

isoprope works superbly with tamiya's acrylics far cheaper than thir own brand, I've used it for the past twenty years with excellent results through airbrushes, winning several IPMS national championships

Don't use Tamiya thinners or IPA with non alchol based acrylics though, as it effectively curdles them. It definitely has that effect on Vallejo acrylics and possibly Railmatch, although I've never tried that.

I'd always use the Tamiya brand thinners with their paints, but use water with a drop of screenwash in to thin both Vallejo and Railmatch acrylics.

HTH

• RMweb Gold
but use water with a drop of screenwash

Neat screenwash works well ( our American friends swear by, not at, it) - and no, it doesn't turn white paint blue.

Thanks for the prompt replies Guy's,

well that's certainly given me something to think about. I have always been an Enamel man up to now with the air brush, but from what I hear of the lack of fumes and being easier to clean, I'm going to give acrylics a go. :pleasantry:.

All the best, Martyn.

....... from what I hear of the lack of fumes and being easier to clean, I'm going to give acrylics a go. :pleasantry:.

All the best, Martyn.

Martyn

I should be interested to hear how you get on. I have been trying to work out how to use acrylics with an airbrush to weather a loco. I have messed around with some of the Games Workshop inks, but the effect has not really been right. A write up of any proven techniques would be welcome.

Best wishes

Eric

Martyn

I should be interested to hear how you get on. I have been trying to work out how to use acrylics with an airbrush to weather a loco. I have messed around with some of the Games Workshop inks, but the effect has not really been right. A write up of any proven techniques would be welcome.

Best wishes

Eric

Hi Eric,

By all means, if you give us a week I will do a write up as to how I got on and maybe a photo or two.

ATB, Martyn.

Well as luck would have it I got a payed cancelled shift at work today :pleasantry:, so this have given me time to get acquainted with some Railmatch acrylics. First I went to 4 Chemist's to try and find some of that Isopropyl to use as thinners to no avail, they either never heard of it or said it was to " Hazardous " to keep in stock. So thanks goes to Pugsley and Phil H for their idea of " Screen wash " so far I would say the stuff is amazing and also cheap to buy, I brought 5ltrs of the stuff :blink:. Well I am very impressed so far, I had a quick play on some scrap paper first, to tune in the Airbrush to how I like it and I must say you can get a very fine controllable mist patten just as easy as enamel. I was that comfortable with it that I have even put the first weathering coat on to a 42xx that I have nearly finished, see pictures ( no shooting me down in flames this is just a first coat ). I now need some more info if possible, I finish all my loco's with a satin varnish so while I was down the shop I brought some Railmatch satin acrylic varnish. Do I still need to thin this varnish down ? Is it easy to clean out of the airbrush after use just using water ( this I find hard to believe )? And any idea of the drying time ?

post-7101-0-68852600-1310562166_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-94302800-1310562223_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-72902600-1310562255_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-18532500-1310562285_thumb.jpg

I know Phil H of this parish does not much like these grand old ladies from the Welsh Valleys, as he bears the scars and blisters on his arms from driving them :unsure:, but what do you reckon Phil, a bit of brake dust and sleeper grime and a quick polish of satin varnish should bring her to life :laugh:.

ATB, Martyn.

Do I still need to thin this varnish down ? Is it easy to clean out of the airbrush after use just using water ( this I find hard to believe )? And any idea of the drying time ?

I usually spray some white spririt through the airbrush then strip it down a give it a thorough clean with Badger airbrush cleaner after using acrylics.

A bit overkill perhaps but acrylics can set hard and be tough to shift.

• RMweb Premium

Well as luck would have it I got a payed cancelled shift at work today :pleasantry:, so this have given me time to get acquainted with some Railmatch acrylics. First I went to 4 Chemist's to try and find some of that Isopropyl to use as thinners to no avail, they either never heard of it or said it was to " Hazardous " to keep in stock.

ATB, Martyn.

Although it's not particulalry cheap, Maplin sell it:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/isopropyl-alcohol-28994?ordercode=RE71N

Despite the picture, RE71N stock code is a can not an aerosol.

Then there's Farnell:-

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1206536&CMP=e-2072-00001000

Then there's always eBay of course, about half Maplin price:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IPA-ISOPROPYL-ALCOHOL-ISOPROPANOL-1-LITRE-99-9-pure-/220795921671?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item3368766507

Thanks Guys for the prompt replies, and one further question if I may, sorry two <_<. How quick does this acrylic dry ( I did not want to prod it ), and I did not test it first but it seems fine to spray straight on top of Halfords grey primer :help: ( no reaction so far, fingers crossed ).

ATB, Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

For brush work I have used Tamiya diluted with their own brand thinners and JoSonjas (water-based) acrylics diluted with tap water. Only just starting with air-brushing but local wisdom has it that the Josonjas work fine with tap water though de-ionised can improve the flow when doing really fine work.

Rule 1 of airbrushing = clean thoroughly and immediately what ever you have been using; don't give the paint a chance to go off.

• RMweb Gold

I know Phil H of this parish does not much like these grand old ladies from the Welsh Valleys, as he bears the scars and blisters on his arms from driving them :unsure:, but what do you reckon Phil, a bit of brake dust and sleeper grime and a quick polish of satin varnish should bring her to life :laugh:.

ATB, Martyn.

Horribly lifelike.... :(

Guest baldrick25

Anyone looking for acetone, I bought a bottle from Home Bargains stores for 99p. Its sold in 150mL opaque/clear plastic bottles next to the 'pink' nail varnish remover , and sold as artificial nail and tip remover, and has a light purple label around the middle. Its described as 'Pure Acetone' on the ingredients section, so it may not be to BP specifications for medical treatment, but should be fine for paint thinning.

Hi,

Thank you PMP for the info, so far I am quite impressed with the change to Acrylics, being that I am old school and was brought up on Humbrol enamels :blink:. I am using around 35 psi through the compressor would that be about right ? And thank you Phil H, I take that as a complement B).

ATB, Martyn.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, regarding paint I suppose I have kept to Humbrol and Railmatch as I have two suppliers close by, namely Squires and the Engine shed (Gaugemasters). As for the psi for Acrylics I thought it best at 35psi, as I heard somewhere that if you use anything under 30 psi the paint can dry on contact :blink:? Paul could you explain why you use 20-22psi, as I'm a newbie when it comes to these Acrylics although I am more than happy with the results so far.

ATB, Martyn.

Paul could you explain why you use 20-22psi, as I'm a newbie when it comes to these Acrylics although I am more than happy with the results so far.

Sorry Martyn but I have no idea why, it just works for me! I wish that I could give a better answer than that!

Archived