The Greystone & Snailsworth Light Railway

LNERGE

Thanks for sharing - that's an incredible collection of railway artefacts in the garden as well!

The thing that strikes me is that is one hell of a long run! How long has it taken to put together? A life's work?

Is it track powered only I notice a return loop I think where the train doesn't stop before continuing back on itself?

Can you tell us more?

Guest Natalie Graham

What a great railway. Even if the signalling and some of the lineside equipment looks a tad over-proportioned. ;) Thanks for posting that

Thanks for sharing - that's an incredible collection of railway artefacts in the garden as well!

The thing that strikes me is that is one hell of a long run! How long has it taken to put together? A life's work?

Is it track powered only I notice a return loop I think where the train doesn't stop before continuing back on itself?

Can you tell us more?

The line is controlled by DCC so there are some reverse loop modules. In normal operating mode the train simply trundles round a reverse loop at each end*. In the video the first/last part of the line is little used but one day will lead to a bigger station/another reverse loop. Line line has been going for around seven years now and is gradually getting longer. It is not my main interest however as i'm into a much larger scale as has been noticed...

* The railway is for the entertainment of my children however on occasion i do use the train to carry a 12 inch to the foot scale key token between signalboxes. The line is set up with both return loops in use and a loco and open wagon run around continually. When required said key token is deposited in the open wagon and retrieved by the signalman at the other end as required.

• 1 year later...

Bridge 6 had been giving some concerns for a while. Materials had been on hand for some time with just a suitable window of opportunity lacking. The time presented itself over last weekend. The new structure comprises of two secondhand cast beams giving rigidity to two continuous hardwood waybeams. These are spaced by hardwood transoms and tied by threaded bar. The remains of the old structure can be seen dumped in the background..

post-4034-0-94550800-1370464397_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-78297400-1370464610_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The G&SLR does not have much of a budget. Most of the items are acquired second hand. The next infrastructure project is the provision of an extended siding to a new quarry. This will involve a new girder bridge with one of the piers having to be sunk into the river bed. Environmental concerns have to be taken into account (there are fish in the pond) so this will be a cautious exercise.

The trusses for the bridge have been on hand for some time. Before i use them does anyone know of their origin just in case they are some priceless collectors item?

post-4034-0-47586000-1372076318_thumb.jpg

They are made of steel and are marked MANUFAX i think. The plan is to let them rust for a while before painting maybe in a couple of years time.

• 3 weeks later...

The next structure to receive attention has been Br3. This is a three arch viaduct over water. When the line opened special permission was granted for trains to use the viaduct without parapets on the understanding they would be provided as soon as possible. Over time this understanding was forgotten and the viaduct has been used merrily over the years without them. This year other remedial works were required and the board of the G&SLR approved provision of parapets as part of these works. Here is a picture of Br3 in the early days..

post-4034-0-20981300-1373876450_thumb.jpg

and now after the works are complete..

post-4034-0-29285300-1373876489_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-50569800-1373876511_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The G&SLR has seen it's first traffic this year. The railway did see use last year but a year with newly arrived twins, pneumonia from the end of November and over Christmas and a big project at work the railway was rather neglected. The only problem found during recommissioning was as to be expected in the circumstances. Undergrowth and lots of it. The electrical side of thing's needed nothing more than rail cleaning, but all external wiring is 12 inch to the foot S&T cable etc so to be honest i wasn't expecting trouble.

Anyway after this years first operation the railway had earned it's keep. Two utterly exhausted twins from their attempted pursuit of of the train and one exhausted kitten from his pursuit/being pursued by the same.

• Like 1

Twins !! - Congratulations, twins are something special. Our twin girls are now 14 - time flies.

Great layout & though the signals & accessories are a bit over scale !!!!!!!!!!!

This has spurred me to get my garden layout going after winter. Just a clean of track with a fine sanding block smeared in WD40 then wipe residue off with a cloth - may sound odd but works OK for me (Peco track). Been doing this for years.

Your video has given me a couple of ideas. Thanks.

Brit15

The trestles have not weathered too well or to be precise it's the planking that is giving cause for concern. The original planks are lollipop sticks, cut to length and pickled in creosote. A better source of timber is now a matter of urgency..

post-4034-0-57428500-1428421174_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-04250800-1428421189_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

A whole day to potter about and play garden railways today. There were two sections to reballast, several areas got their ballast shoulders topped up and the site for bridge 2 was prepared for it's reconstruction. The original has actually totally rotted away and no trace remained.

post-4034-0-43022100-1436557512_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-70171000-1436557514_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-05677800-1436557633_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

The G&SLR is perhaps late to awaken from it's winter slumbers this year, as is LNERGE for various reasons, but it finally burst into life yesterday. The main problem was to do with our squirrel munching cat. I had to cover the ponds with netting to prevent him munching on the fish too.The netting was thrown on covering the track. Last week i made some frames to carry the netting that allow the railway to be use with it in place.

There were no reportable infrastructure problems found during the recommissioning. Effectively the power was turned on and the rails cleaned and a few bits of trimming to the lineside vegetation and off the test/cleaning train went.

There were however a number of complaints from the users of the railway. The lack of platforms and other facilities has been the main gripe. This will be this years first project, to provide a platform and concrete waiting shelter at each of the designated stopping places, along with the scheduled maintenance jobs i should be kept busy when not playing with the bigger stuff.

The G&SLRTUCC* approved a small raised platform and concrete waiting shelter for each station. The first was brought into use at Churchyard Halt a few days ago..

post-4034-0-60024200-1463384547_thumb.jpg

It suffered a bit coming out of the mould and will be replaced in due course once i've perfected the process.

The next location to receive attention is Lakeside and Havawait..

post-4034-0-12756500-1463385228_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-57649400-1463385355_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-36612300-1463385398_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-86071800-1463386056_thumb.jpg

I forgot to cover up the wet cement last night and it gained footprints overnight. The jury is still out as to the culprit.

*Greystone and Snailsworth Light Railway Transport Users Consultative Committee (the kids)

Edited by LNERGE

• 3 years later...

The annual resurrection of the G&SLR seems to get later each year. Last year the line saw very little use. Work commitments got me home late and even when at home I still had work to do.

This season the railway finds it has an abundance of time available to it for some reason coupled with an abundance of little people ready to play with it.

Trains have run on the top section already. The lower, longer section is proving harder to resurrect but should be in use by this evening.

The works to bring the line back into use have revealed many many problems. A long overdue diversion of the route hasn't taken place though some work on the new route did take place last year. The old route will have to soldier on until materials can be purchased easily once again. Two bridges have been identified as needing renewal but for now will be shored up to allow traffic. They may just be able to cope. The pond will soon swallow anything that pushes the structures beyond their remaining strength. Luckily they were over engineered in the first place..

Another development is Mrs LNERGE seems to be taking more of an interest in gardening. The railway should gain a few pretty flowers this year at least. Cleaning the various ponds and waterways has had to be abandoned due to the discovery of a newtist colony. I have never seen so many.

I'll post some pictures if there is interest. The deterioration of the timber trestles over the pond is quite amazing. Will the first train make it over?

• Like 2