Pertinent magazine articles

From time to time the nostalgia-centric magazines contain items of interest. I thought it might be an idea to post references to them iin a handy place. Let other group members feel free to do likewise [if that's OK with you, owner].

First up is Steam World August 2011 which hit my doormat yesterday. An article by Peter Cooper on the last days of the Super Ds has references to the North West but what caught my eye was "Diary Days - The Early Years" by Robin Bamber, in which Robin looks back on his spotty-spotter days centred on Preston between 1944 and 1953. The illustrations stray from this period to embrace 1959 but capture the early days of BR in this area well. A pic that caught my eye is of 42301 heading out of Preston with a Windermere train in August 1951. The first two coaches are a Period 2 BTK and CL as modelled by Airfix and appear to be in LMS livery minus the lettering. The third is a Period 1 BTK in a lighter red, presumably crimson.

Chris

• 10 months later...

From time to time the nostalgia-centric magazines contain items of interest. I thought it might be an idea to post references to them iin a handy place. Let other group members feel free to do likewise [if that's OK with you, owner].

First up is Steam World August 2011 which hit my doormat yesterday. An article by Peter Cooper on the last days of the Super Ds has references to the North West but what caught my eye was "Diary Days - The Early Years" by Robin Bamber, in which Robin looks back on his spotty-spotter days centred on Preston between 1944 and 1953. The illustrations stray from this period to embrace 1959 but capture the early days of BR in this area well. A pic that caught my eye is of 42301 heading out of Preston with a Windermere train in August 1951. The first two coaches are a Period 2 BTK and CL as modelled by Airfix and appear to be in LMS livery minus the lettering. The third is a Period 1 BTK in a lighter red, presumably crimson.

Chris

I suppose, as someone modelling the WCML north of Preston, that I should have been surprised that a working of some distance such as Preston - Windermere should have been in the hands of tank locos, but doing my researches, I have seen abundant photographic evidence that this happened frequently. A good many semi-fast (or even express) workings consisting of corridor coaching stock seem to have been hauled by large tank engines. Perhaps that's down to the fact that the LMS (and later the LMR), although they were chronically short of Class 7 & 8 power, had an abundance of modern middle weight locos. 600+ good 2-6-4T locos have, after all, got to be put to use somewhere.

Archived