WORKINGTON SHOW, 20th/21st FEBRUARY 2010

Mike at C&M

After the cancellation of the Workington Show over the previous weekend (21st/22nd November) because of the severe flooding in the area, the organising committee have contacted all the exhibitors who should have been there and invited them to attend a re-arranged show on February 20th/21st 2010.

With all except one of the exhibitors able to attend on the new dates, Workington Exhibition will now take place a little later then originally planned.

Obviously, when it comes to railways, model or prototype, adversity can get things sorted out quickly, see also http://www.rmweb.co....__0entry31505

Look forward to seeing lots of you in late February !icon_thumbsup2.gif

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

There doesn't seem to be any details so I have copied this for further information.

RISING FROM THE FLOODS The biggest Model Railway Exhibition in Cumbria returns to Workington on Saturday 20 & Sunday 21 February. Organisers, the Workington Transport Heritage Trust, had to cancel the event planned for last November, with less than 24 hours before opening the doors to the public, because of the floods. This is their attempt to put something back into the community. Nearly all the traders and exhibitors booked to attend last year have agreed to come this time round. Some exhibitors will not be charging for their travel costs and traders who can't attend have kindly said 'keep the deposit we paid for last years show'.

Having spent 12 months organising the event and then cancelling was a big blow for the Trust as it is the biggest source of income during the year. Lots of people have come forward with offers of help and support including one layout owner from Oldham, who wants to help the people of West Cumbria and is bringing his layout to display at his own cost, including sorting out accommodation for himself. Arranging this event in a matter of only a couple of months has tested the abilities of the organisers but amazingly it will be even bigger than that originally planned for last November. Twenty layouts are expected to attend in all scales and gauges from around the country including an O gauge one from Preston, EM from Horwich, P4 from Askrigg, OO from Barrow-in-Furness, N from Millom and Z from Askam-in-Furness, to name but a few. With over 1,600 people attending in 2008 it is hoped that local people will again support the event to show that they too are coping following the floods and that West Cumbria is 'open for business'.

When the organisers cancelled last years event they were amazed to receive telephone calls from all round the country from people asking if it was still on. Calls came in from as far south as Chester, lots from the North East and Scotland as well as one person who had made arrangements to travel from Northern Ireland just to see a couple of the layouts that he was interested in. It shows how big an event the exhibition has become and that it brings visitors into the area at a traditionally quite time of the year.

Last time a 'Thomas the Tank' engine layout was built, especially for the exhibition. Young children were invited to operate it and some parents did as well! It will be making another visit and again, all will be invited to try their hand at operating it. Several other exhibitors will also welcome visitors to 'have a go'! The biggest layout is 32 x 11 and will be running over 20 trains in modern image OO gauge representing those that could have been seen on the West Coast main line until very recently. For the first time a Z gauge layout will be making an appearance. This is the smallest commercially available gauge at the present time and is modelled on the North American railways. Slightly larger in scale will be an N gauge layout built by award winning modellers from Millom model railway club showing what the local freight railway company, Direct Rail Services, looks like in miniature. These are all making their debut at the Workington Show.

Along with the layouts to look at you will be able to buy everything you need to build and stock your own model railway from the excellent variety of trade stands that will be in attendance.

For ideas on what to model a number of Society stands will also be present as well as modelling demonstrations.

Venue: - Moorclose Sports Centre, Workington, CA14 3SA

Open: - Sat 10 am to 5 pm. Sun 10 am to 4 pm.

Admission: - Adults 3.50. Concessions 2.00. Children 1.00. Family 2+3 8.00

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As my new colour ESU ECoS as arrived I will be using it on Rederring at the Workington exhibition this coming weekend, so if you would like to have a demo come along to the exhibition. I will also be using TouchCab with the ECoS.

Regards,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tony graham

As my new colour ESU ECoS as arrived I will be using it on Rederring at the Workington exhibition this coming weekend, so if you would like to have a demo come along to the exhibition. I will also be using TouchCab with the ECoS.

Regards,

Peter

And it was even better to be able to use it with the iPhone..... Most fun I've had in ages with a phone.

Many thanks, and it was great to see you at Glasgow today.

Archived