Tram-train coming a step nearer

Leaving aside the nomenclature of what is and isn't a tram or a train for a moment, and meandering back towards the thread title "...a step nearer", wasn't there meant to be an announcement this week on the Sheffield-Rotherham scheme?

Did we all miss it, or are they carefully rescheduling news releases again, according to what else is going on.

There's definitely no provision for different height platforms at the newly-refurbished Rotherham Central, which is almost complete (I could post some before, during and after photos if anyone's interested).

Isnt the " Train / Tran " already on the European network ???

See Lint and Flirt DMU ranges.

Some of the minor Swiss railways in particular blur the boundary between tram and train, with sections of street running but vehicles that are more train-like. I have a place name on the tip of my tongue but sorry can't recall it at present. Stadler GTW is probably the most likely to be found in this type of operation.

The "true" tram-trains are found in Karlsruhe, Kassel, Saarbruecken, Mulhouse and various other places. The key difference is that tram-trains are effectively tram designs with extra bits for running on the railway, rather than trains with extra bits for running on the street.

• 1 month later...

Approval may be but will theDFT start cutting back ,as they seem to on all projects,if it happens this will open real possabilities for projects all over the UK.

I doubt the DfT will welch on the deal at this stage. It is too far down the line and a lot of other schemes are eagerly awaiting the results of this trial for their TramTrain projects.

£58m is peanuts for the type of scheme this is so it would represent good value for money!

Archived