Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

Hi Kevin, Sorry to hear Leaford has to go, is there anyway you can alter it to an end to end without a duck under. 

Millway Dock is looking good, I do like those USA tanks.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Morning Kevin,
I knew you were thinking about axing Leaford when I saw you last, all good things come to an end I suppose.
Thanks for allowing me to operate it and visit over the years, I have fond memories, in fact its what brought our little RMweb gang together!     

Good luck with Millway dock, but I'm sure you'll realise at some point that there is room in that room for another layout too...

Cheers
Scott

• Like 1

Hi Hampshire Hog

Excellent Layout with Brilliant Photo's, I used to follow you before then with all the changes on the RMWeb and I had a bit of a break from the RMWeb but returned with a new look and I was a bit lost as to where everything had gone lol

Glad I have found this Thread...  as it's a great layout and what you have on it whether that Loco's or Rolling stock on your layout all of it looks superb.

Regards

Jamie

Thank you for your kind comments lads, I have thought about modifying the layout to try to eliminate crawling underneath, but the layout is such a tight fit it is not possible. I think Pitbull summed it up when he said that there will be more opportunities with the Leaford gone.

08834 shunts some cement tanks up at the “Kremlin”.

04C7B2B1-93F6-411A-8031-0A1665208043.jpeg

• Like 11

Hi Kevin

The attention to detail on the building looks superb in the above photo, is it possible to upload a photos of the Ladder area and what above the Roof over hang...?

It's always great Kevin to look at this layout, shame it's not possible to adapt it for you, so to eliminate the crawling underneath, I know the feeling.  

Trouble is, when we first start out doing these long term layouts projects, we are much fitter and more enabled to crouch underneath with relative ease, then as we slowly age over time, while the layout starts to look even better over your time of modelling on it into what you have today.  We find out where we went wrong and not making it more accessible in the earlier years, the layout is far to good to attempt any alterations.

Everything about this layout is stunning, from the Modelling, the details and the Stock you run on it. Keep up the good work Kevin and take it east mate.

Regards

Jamie

• Agree 1

Thanks Jamie, it is nice to hear from you, yes you are absolutely spot on in what you say,  I now have the problem of can it be sold? bearing in mind how to get it out of its room and still be in a condition

to sell, that is of course provided somebody would like to buy it in the first place, or do I just break it up, then what do I do with all the bits?

Anyway here is a photo of the “Kremlin” you asked for. Cheers Kevin

41273D25-AA80-496B-A30A-E14691BCE20D.jpeg

• Like 5

Hi Kevin

Thanks for that Close-Up Kremlin, the lighting gives a great atmosphere with the shadows off the Ladders and also the weathering in the panels below each Window and those below where there is no windows... superb

Sell it Kevin, It would be sad to see it broken up, to never take your excellent photos of it, You can always PM me of the asking price you want for the layout...? What is its full size set up...?, 

Regards

Jamie

Sorry the picture is dark mate, but it was early in the morning and I was late,  although I would like to pretend that my photographic skills were responsible. I will send you a pm as requested, here is another photo below of a busy Leaford Junction, I hope it comes out better than my previous attempt. Many thanks Kevin

80363F3A-0A11-449F-901C-9D783AD326B5.jpeg

• Like 9

Hello Dan, the small Coaster “Molly J” is a Deans Marine R/C kit that has been much modified to be more in scale and to fit the RB22 on the deck, and also to turn it into waterline, and the self propelled bunkers barge started life as a Walthers marine transportation barge, again much modified with scratch built wheelhouse and pump room with deck machinery from Deans Marine,  Kibri Hiab kit, Knightwing pipework and stuff from the scrap bin, I hope that this useful. Kevin

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I visited my mate Nigel yesterday, and as he was was recovering from a replacement knee operation and not altogether mobile we spent the day looking through his rather large collection of model Lorries, Busses, Fire Engines and generally other model railway stuff, and my dropped jaw has only just recovered, I managed to sneak a couple of items away with me whilst he wasn’t looking, “only joking” and here is a picture of one that he had built out of various bits and pieces, great job Nige.

4B48FF69-FC58-4D0E-A774-5A83A30DDE9D.jpeg

• Like 12

Thanks Imsforever, I am sure that there are many like us where are layouts are being effected by time rather less than us, and you were able to come to a compromise to be able to continue, but my problem is twofold one as above, and the other is that I now have two rooms in the house that have layouts in them, my misses has never complained about my hobby in fact she has always been supportive, but it just seems to be unfair at present so Leaford has to go.

I always like to post a picture if I can and this one is of a class 101 waiting for time at Leaford Town on the shuttle service to Leaford Junction via Leaford Millway Road.

D0BFE9C7-4842-4884-A0F3-2D73A1B92FD3.jpeg.bd314982643ba9a3153444076fc2761d.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 weeks later...

I am sure Kevin wont mind me posting this update on Leaford here! As you know from earlier posts Kevin was in a sad position where Leaford had to go! Well....

I am now happy to say I am now the proud owner of Leaford.

I am extremely happy as I met Kevin a few years ago through Ian (Temeraire) and I have visited the layout many times and always enjoyed it. I was always amazed at how much playability it had in a 13' x 12' room! Also I can say that Kevin is happy knowing that the layout will live on within our group of friends and not be broken up.

The layout also fits me perfectly as most of my stock is of exactly the same era so its a great layout for me to have.

So just before we went on lockdown Kevin started the tough task of seeing if it would all come apart!

IMG_2190.JPG.8bc5a580edcbe14e06fb7d69d23eccd5.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG.a603231d2416b71b698db64cdb2249fe.JPG

And extremely close to the lockdown myself and Ian managed to get the layout into the van and its found its new home in my workshop!

IMG_2157.jpg.d113a312e82bcfc1742dc34aae8afa46.jpg 

IMG_2165.jpg.7c193dc232d00030c4aaf3f0ee1e3167.jpg

I have some big plans for the layout as this will eventually go into my 30' x 14' layout room with some extensions but the layout will live on! The central part is probably only 4-5 years away from being 20 years old!

Im glad I have managed to save the layout and I am looking forward to the evolution of Leaford ahead. It will however have a name change but with a nod to the past and the area on which it is based Leaford will now become...Leighford! See what I did there! ;-)

A new layout topic will come soon!

Thanks

Rhys

• Like 17

Many thanks Rhys for rescuing Leaford (I would not have enjoyed breaking it up),  the layout has given me many years of pleasure both in the building and operating over its many versions and extensions, and I know this probably sounds very corny but I sincerely hope you have the same, and I look forward to visiting Leighford under  its new guise in the future.

Kevin.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Hampshire Hog said:

Many thanks Rhys for rescuing Leaford (I would not have enjoyed breaking it up),  the layout has given me many years of pleasure both in the building and operating over its many versions and extensions, and I know this probably sounds very corny but I sincerely hope you have the same, and I look forward to visiting Leighford under  its new guise in the future.

Kevin.

Thanks Kevin,

I am sure I will have many years of fun with the layout and look forward to seeing your next creation!

• Hampshire Hog changed the title to Millway Dock now including Leaford NSE now sold.

After taking Leaford apart and it’s sale, I have returned to Millway Dock projects, one of which is the road vehicles -some of them you have already seen above, here is my latest effort an AEC Mammoth Major getting ready to be loaded with Dog Biscuits. 

59598EBD-28EC-4AFD-AB78-5C8C09801CD8.jpeg

• Like 6