Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

I even showed these pics to my other half who actually complemented it! That is an achievment as normally she calls them stupid dumb trains! She also threw down the gauntlet saying "your's will never look that good", now that is a challenge. I know she's right but I'm determined to have a good go.. Have you considered letting EWS run wild on it?? My sound fleet is growing. thumbsup.gif

Scott

Hi Scott, You ought to see the the stuff I have thrown away over the years, you have to keep nibling away at it, one day it will all fall into place,and your confidence will grow from what you are happy with.

I would love to see some of this new fangled EWS stuff running It would be a welcome change, it doesn't have to be sound fitted.

regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Your layout is superb, great era to model too with some very interesting stock, I have got 3 of the Vea kits but I don't have the skill to paint them to anywhere near the standard of yours and I like the weathering as well - really brings everything to life. Please keep posting more of your work as it is very good indeed. This will be one layout I will need to look out for at Exhibitions in the future alhough I don't get right down south to visit relatives as much as I use to so it might be a while but at least we can all see it on here.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Kevin,

Your layout is superb, great era to model too with some very interesting stock, I have got 3 of the Vea kits but I don't have the skill to paint them to anywhere near the standard of yours and I like the weathering as well - really brings everything to life. Please keep posting more of your work as it is very good indeed. This will be one layout I will need to look out for at Exhibitions in the future alhough I don't get right down south to visit relatives as much as I use to so it might be a while but at least we can all see it on here.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello Mark thankyou for your kindness, It would be nice to see you down this neck of the woods, but you never know it could be possible that we come nearer to you.

Any way some more pictures and some more 47's this time Heljan I do have a soft spot them.

47 593 "Galloway Princess" or as she is known to us "Gullible Princess"

post-5799-12594241035705_thumb.jpg

47 805 "Bristol Bath Road"

post-5799-12594241286485_thumb.jpg

47 321 "Dusty Bin" !

post-5799-12594241552433_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to you all

Kevin

• Like 5

The VEA vans are Parkside Dundas Kits and as far as I am aware they are still available.

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the reply on the VEA wagons, and yes having check out Parkside website, the VEA wagon is still being produced.

I then thought to myself, "Mmmm" of all those Parkside kits have have made over the years (no layout at the moment, just lots of kits being made and then safely stashed away ready for they day I get round to building one) I wonder if I have made one of these? After a quick search, sure enough I have!!.

So thanks for the pointer anyway.

I guess now I have one made, I have another question, if that is ok, where did you get the Railfreight transfers from?

Paul

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the reply on the VEA wagons, and yes having check out Parkside website, the VEA wagon is still being produced.

I then thought to myself, "Mmmm" of all those Parkside kits have have made over the years (no layout at the moment, just lots of kits being made and then safely stashed away ready for they day I get round to building one) I wonder if I have made one of these? After a quick search, sure enough I have!!.

So thanks for the pointer anyway.

I guess now I have one made, I have another question, if that is ok, where did you get the Railfreight transfers from?

Paul

Hello Paul, Many thanks for you question please ask as many as you like, The transfers for the VEA came from Modelmasters (WWW.Modelmasterdecals.com)if I knew how to I would make a link, Any way if it is ok some more pictures.

Class 108 calls at Leaford and waits for time.

post-5799-1259509593667_thumb.jpg

Class 117 waits for its return trip to Reading.

post-5799-12595098450472_thumb.jpg

Wine and PVC await unloading, and a new addition awaits its first turn of duty I am not sure about the green roof!

post-5799-12595100166524_thumb.jpg

I hope these pictures are to you liking and if you have any qestions please ask.

regards

Kevin

• Like 5

Hi guys, I hope that I am not out staying my welcome, some more photos:

"I know its ere' somewhere"

post-5799-12596862111491_thumb.jpg

50035 arrives light engine, as 37035 makes ready for its short return trip to Eastleigh.

post-5799-12596863363732_thumb.jpg

Two Scorpions loaded onto a Warflat.

post-5799-1259686450027_thumb.jpg

A Bedford MK hitches a ride on a Warwell.

post-5799-12596865362269_thumb.jpg

I hope that you like them

Kevin

• Like 5

Hi guys, I hope that I am not out staying my welcome

:icon_e_surprised: :icon_e_surprised: Out Staying your welcome? Certainly not, i love the pictures you are posting here mate! More please! Very inspriational to the Modern Image/BR modeller i do think! :) :)

Danny

Hi

I have just had a look at your layout pictures today for the first time and I have to say I like very much what I see. Haven't seen any signals yet but I'm sure they are there! If they aren't and you need assistance with their placing then please shout and I'd be happy to help.

I like many others it seems, the MoD trains especially. Normally I am not keen on Peco track but looking at a number of layouts such as the magnificent Widnes Vine Yard, Pete Harvey's two and yours it CAN be made to look good- they key I feel is the weathering and ballasting. The painting of the rail to remove the shiny silver finish is crucial in achieving a good look.

Once again many thanks for sharing this fine layout of yours and I look forward eagerly to more photos/progress.

Hi guys, I hope that I am not out staying my welcome, some more photos:

Not sure how you think posting great photos means your are outstaying your welcome :huh: , far from it keep them coming. :D :D

Just out of a matter of interest do you have any history photos of Leaford under construction? And I am sure I could work it out from the various shots you have so far posted, but do you have a layout plan?

Paul

Hi Kevin,

Keep the pics comming, it's a great layout. Love the MOD stuff. I have a pic somewhere of 47517 in that livery, I had forgotten it had the smaller numbers.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Guys, again many thanks for the kind comments,

Hi Natalie many thanks for the offer of help you are quite correct there are no signals on the layout, but only yesterday a new Team Digital SMD82 Accessory Decoder arrived, five Berko/Eckon Shunt Signals are now awaited, I'll keep you posted on my progress

Hello Paul. Leaford was built in the same way that I always do it i.e. make it up as I go along, so to have anything planned in advance is far to organised for me so I am afraid that thier are no construction photos, but, I will take some photos of the underside of the baseboards so the methods of construction can be seen, as well as unfortunately my wiring!! I have attached a fiddle yard track plan though, I hope that it is of use.

Fiddle Road Trackplan.doc

Class 33/1 33118 propels 4TC Unit out of Leaford on a late night service to Salisbury

post-5799-12597720793388_thumb.jpg

Fertilizer and Steel.

post-5799-12597720983213_thumb.jpg

My regards to you all

Kevin

• Like 3

I'd be interested in more pics of the 4TC set, is it a kit or a cut 'n' shut?

Hi Guys, The 4TC is Southern Pride Kit and does go together well, everybody should have one!

Another piccy as requested by Temeraire.

post-5799-1259859318313_thumb.jpg

Some photos of other parts of the layout.

Around the bend.

post-5799-12598594519512_thumb.jpg

Entry into fiddle yard.

post-5799-1259859523087_thumb.jpg

And finally a Class 60, 60042 "Dunkery Beacon" as she was more or less brand new.

post-5799-12598596238844_thumb.jpg

Many thanks

Kevin.

• Like 3

Hi there,

Gr8 looking layout nice loco's and some stunning rare stock in action too especially the MOD trains.

Clocked your spa's with the blue cardiff rod mill tarpaulin tops on how did you make these or are they some sort of kit? I have a rake of these running round my layout and wish to have a couple like that :)

Cheers, Jon.

• Like 1

Hi

I have to say the night time scenes that you have are absolutely great, any chance of putting more up, also the Storage part where you have them all lines you on the shelf??™s looks a good idea to have.

What size is the layout and how much space do you have to play with in the middle part...of your layout..?

Thanks again

Jamie

Hi Guys,

A majority of the freight stock on Leaford is the best part of 20 years old, the SPA's with the Cardiff Rod Mill canopies were resin mouldings made by Appleby Kits which I beleive are no longer in production.

Class 31 31110 rests between duties.

post-5799-12599943201338_thumb.jpg

Another photo of the MODA train

post-5799-12599944198934_thumb.jpg

The new addition, I think Bachmann deserve a big clap.

post-5799-12599945762455_thumb.jpg

My best regards

Kevin

• Like 4

Hi Guys,

I thought I would show a little on how "Leaford" has been constructed, it follows the usual 2"(50mm)X1"(25mm) PAR softwood ladder frame covered with 1/2"(12.5mm) Chipboard braced about every 12"(305mm) or so, be weary when ballasting as to much liquid i.e. diluted PVA can make chipboard sag, pour on a little at a time and let dry before going to far. Anyway they say a picture is worth a thousand words I hope that they are correct, The underside of the layout.

post-5799-12600931708967_thumb.jpg

The log train comprises of Cambrian OTA's and half the New Forest.Or it seamed like it when I was cutting each twig.

post-5799-1260093331312_thumb.jpg

I am a follower of both P.C.M's threads "Llanbourne North Wales" in this layout section and "Southern Region Photos" in the prototype section which I enjoy very much, Thanks Peter, and earlier this morning whilst browsing in the latter there was a certain class 60 photo which was described by Pugsley as being very modelable, so I thought I would give it a go.

post-5799-12600938296201_thumb.jpg

My best regards

Kevin

• Like 4

Morning Kevin,

Your photos comtinue to provide inspiration, and it has given me the kick up the backside that I need to get on with Bocott. I dont suppose you have any photos of your other layouts that you could share with everyone do you. I'm sure they would get the same comments...

Keep em coming!

Many thanks

Scott

Hi Guys,

I thought I would show a little on how "Leaford" has been constructed, it follows the usual 2"(50mm)X1"(25mm) PAR softwood ladder frame covered with 1/2"(12.5mm) Chipboard braced about every 12"(305mm) or so, be weary when ballasting as to much liquid i.e. diluted PVA can make chipboard sag, pour on a little at a time and let dry before going to far. Anyway they say a picture is worth a thousand words I hope that they are correct, The underside of the layout.

post-5799-12600931708967_thumb.jpg

The log train comprises of Cambrian OTA's and half the New Forest.Or it seamed like it when I was cutting each twig.

post-5799-1260093331312_thumb.jpg

I am a follower of both P.C.M's threads "Llanbourne North Wales" in this layout section and "Southern Region Photos" in the prototype section which I enjoy very much, Thanks Peter, and earlier this morning whilst browsing in the latter there was a certain class 60 photo which was described by Pugsley as being very modelable, so I thought I would give it a go.

post-5799-12600938296201_thumb.jpg

My best regards

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

Glad you like my threads, your 60 on that short train looks great. icon_thumbsup2.gif I know the New Forest quite well, I used to live there.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi guys,

After my previous post I received a few questions ref:

:-The big electronic thingy is a Team Digital Accessory Decoder capable of handling eight solenoid type point motors

:-The Brass strips are copper clad paxolin sleepers strips evo-stuck to the baseboard to act as my DCC Bus, they provide feeds to the track, accessory decoders, etc.

post-5799-12601930425037_thumb.jpg

The Air Con Unit and CCTV Cameras are JPG Models Kits provided by Ten Commandments www.cast-in-stone.co.uk.

post-5799-12601936984144_thumb.jpgpost-5799-12601937283782_thumb.jpg

To Pitbull 1845, again my thanks for your comments, I look forward to seeing your layout and its progression on

RMWeb, Unfortunately because of copyright issues I can not show many photos of my previous attempts on here.

A class 73/0 73001 arrives on a ballast train.

post-5799-12601941672575_thumb.jpg

Hi P.C.M I didn't always go to the New Forest to gather twigs, when I was younger and living quite close it was nice to go for family days out playing such games as rounders and football, and then when I got older I found its more secluded areas were useful as well.

My best regards.

Kevin

• Like 4

Hi,

I love your night scene photos of your Layout, they look Superb...give the layout a bit of atmosphere and it looks great.

Any More photos for the night scene would be appreciated.

Warm Regards

Jamie

• Like 1