Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

Hi Kevin

Love the recent set of photos in including the ones of the steel blooms and the crane. Can I ask what wagons you have used to form the support wagons for the crane? I have made the Dapol crane but as of yet not worked out how to create appropriate support wagon for 1980s era version.

Thanks.

Paul

Hi guys, I am genuinely stunned by the level of interest that Leaford has generated, for which I thank you all very much, - To Paul (JAGGZUK) the support vehicles for the Dapol Crane are a Hornby OBA converted to a Match Truck, the conversion is to partially remove the sides and ends (as photo below) then use the removed off cuts to form the jib support in the centre of the wagon, my scrap bin was then raided to find enough off-cuts to form the tool chests underneath the solebar, and then painted appropriately, not very prototypical but I hope that you like it.

post-5799-12632226666568_thumb.jpg

The other support vehicle is based on an article in a Model Rail Mag (I think?) and it uses a Parkside Dundas Tube Wagon with the doors removed ??“ ladders and handrails added ??“ and tool cupboards added below the solebar, then loaded with suitable equipment - a generator set ??“ gas cutting bottles ??“ etc, photo below.

post-5799-12632227500821_thumb.jpg

Its nice to hear from you again SouthernMafia ??“ it is a shame that you cannot make Alton, but I do have more shows to attend I hope that you can make some of them, I will keep you posted on the venues and dates.

A request for more NSE stuff.

Class 73 on parcels.

post-5799-12632228529382_thumb.jpg

A Class 205 waits for time.

post-5799-12632229451664_thumb.jpg

And to finish off a Class 47 in Raspberry Ripple Livery (Inter-city).

post-5799-12632230381565_thumb.jpg

My best regards.

Kevin.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Kevin, don't be surprised at the interest fella!icon_thumbsup2.gif

I am hoping to make Alton just to see it and its not going to be easy to find the time that weekend, but all being well I'll be there for opening on the Sunday.

Just had a thought how about a RMweb meet up at Leaford on Sunday?????

That's a very nice looking Thumper, is it a kit or scratchbuilt?

Nice layout too, very inspirational.

Hi Guys, What a good idea! an Rmweb meet up at Alton show sounds great Ian (Temeraire), how about 11am on Sunday the 7th February, just a suggestion.

To CromptonNut the thumper is a DC Kits somewhat mutilated by my own hand, I must get it finished!!

post-5799-1263368197078_thumb.jpg

A 73 and 33 wait for their next turns.

post-5799-12633683480661_thumb.jpg

To Jamie (7APT7) another couple of night time shots. (thanks for your kindness)

post-5799-1263368491487_thumb.jpg

And looking the other way.

post-5799-12633685551433_thumb.jpg

Regards.

Kevin.

• Like 3

Hi guys, I am genuinely stunned by the level of interest that Leaford has generated, for which I thank you all very much, - To Paul (JAGGZUK) the support vehicles for the Dapol Crane are a Hornby OBA converted to a Match Truck, the conversion is to partially remove the sides and ends (as photo below) then use the removed off cuts to form the jib support in the centre of the wagon, my scrap bin was then raided to find enough off-cuts to form the tool chests underneath the solebar, and then painted appropriately, not very prototypical but I hope that you like it.

The other support vehicle is based on an article in a Model Rail Mag (I think?) and it uses a Parkside Dundas Tube Wagon with the doors removed ????? ladders and handrails added ????? and tool cupboards added below the solebar, then loaded with suitable equipment - a generator set ????? gas cutting bottles ????? etc, photo below.

Thanks for the conversion details and extra photo, I might have a bash at something when I get round to respraying my crane from black to yellow.

Don't be surprised at the level of interest, your layout just oozes atmosphere and your stock looks great :D I do like the variety of daytime, evening and night shots.

Paul

To CromptonNut the thumper is a DC Kits somewhat mutilated by my own hand, I must get it finished!!

Not sure "mutilated" is quite the right word - I'm impressed.

As you may guess by my username I'm a fan of modern image Southern Region too.

As a youngster I remember hating the NSE colours, they seemed more subject to fading, but have to say now they look great on your layout. The head on of the 47 is spectacular.

I say this with some bias, as I have that loco too.

Cheers, Jerry

As a youngster I remember hating the NSE colours, they seemed more subject to fading, but have to say now they look great on your layout. The head on of the 47 is spectacular.

I say this with some bias, as I have that loco too.

Cheers, Jerry

Hello Gerry, I expect the weather is a bit warmer where you are than it is here in Hampshire, I think that who ever it was who nicknamed NSE livery as ???Toothpaste??? livery had a point, but it certainly could not be missed, they say that a camera can be cruel and on looking at the head on shot of the 47 I now realise that it has a wiper missing!!

Here is shot of another of ViTrains class 47s - 47 768 ???Resonant???.

post-5799-12636326903195_thumb.jpg

Hi guys, I must say that I am looking forward to meeting at the Alton Show, and I hope that the layout will perform well, and live up to expectations

Class 108 ticks over whilst it waits for time

post-5799-12636328324325_thumb.jpg

A country scene only visible at exhibitions as this part of the layout is against a wall in its natural habitat.

post-5799-12636328697942_thumb.jpg

I hope that you like the pictures, my best regards.

Kevin.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, just a mention of the Alton Model Railway Exhibition this coming weekend 6th and 7th February which Leaford will be pleased to attend, amongst a varied collection of other quality exhibits and trade stands ??“ please see the link earlier in this thread, or in the exhibition thread - There was also mention of a RMweb meet on the Sunday at 11am by this stand, if you can make it, it will be good to see you.

Anyway, a couple of photos.

A skinhead on scrap.

post-5799-12650455878047_thumb.jpg

And a quiet time at Leaford.

post-5799-12650456692543_thumb.jpg

See you at weekend.

Kevin

• Like 3

Hi Kevin

I was going to look you up this week, I'll be there for opening on Sunday and for the meet at 11am, but I'll have to go around 12.15. Just checking is the opening 10.30am?

Yes Ian, the exhibition is open both days 10.30am to 5.00pm, I look forward to meeting you and any other rmwebbers who may be around.

47114 arrives with the night sleeper stock for Inverness via Birmingham New Sreet.

post-5799-12650516401321_thumb.jpg

Regards

Kevin

• Like 3

Hi Kevin

Love the last few pictures, and night scenes and the House with the VW Van the Drive way looks great and so realistic...

Keep up the good work...

When are you next out with this layout and where, as I would love to see it for real...

Regards

Jamie

Ive got to say a big thanks to Kevin for letting me have a play, Wish I could have stayed longer. The 4 hours flew by! Also thanks to Barry for the passenger service advice, I only had one over shoot the platform.. :D

It was also nice to meet a few RMwebbers, all in all a good day.

What time did you leave Ian?? :P

Kevin, do you mind if I put some of the pictures I took onto this thread?

Thanks again, it was a real pleasure.

Scott

• RMweb Premium

I'll echo Scott's comments. icon_thumbsup2.gif

I also had an enjoyable day playing with someone else's trains, and having arrived for the meet at 11am I didn't leave until 4pm in the end!

A big thank you to Kevin and Barry and I hope I didn't out stay my welcome, but I can do Saturday 6th of March if you still need help then? biggrin.gif

Scott, I'll get in with the pic first then!!

post-6922-12655859115302_thumb.jpg

Scott aka pitbull1845 at the controls of Leaford having cleared the yard it seems.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I knew it wouldn't be long! I don't think you got my best side.. Heres one of Ian aka Temeraire on shunting duties. post-6849-12656111915942_thumb.jpg

Scott looks like someone just told him he has to go now :)

now you can see why I persuaded Kevin to put Leaford on here looks fantastic and fun to operate. Kevin you are solely responsible for the current resurgence of my OO layout work!

• Like 1