Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

Signals! Thats going to be an added complication for us newbie operators.. Looks good though.

After seeing your military wagons Kevin, I've ordered myself a Genesis warflat, never built a wagon kit before so it will be an experience, might have to seek your advice if it gets too much, and With regard to your step by step weathering guide, I'm happy to donate a loco or two. ;)

Hope to see you on the 7th.

Cheers

Scott

Once again, great photos. Interesting to see faces behind the names too!

The weathering is great, which I've taken on board given my heavy handedness in this area.

Keep the pics coming. I love the 117. Mines in the dog house at the moment, I don't think it likes the hot and humid conditions here!

Cheers, Jerry

Hi Hampshire Hog (Kevin!),

First of all I must say how much I enjoy your thread which is the most visited site on my favourites list!! :)

Like many who have posted replies, I really enjoyed looking at your layout at the Andover show. In fact, on the Sunday afternoon of my visit, I kept coming back to revisit, take photos and pick up ideas for my own layout!!!

I noticed that your layout is DCC operated and you use the NCE Power Cab system. Having read good reviews I am thinking of updating my basic Bachman unit to this system, however I just wondered how practical and user friendly you have found the Power Cab in operation?

By the way, I can't wait to see the layout at Romsey, I have a feeling that I will be spending an awful lot of time watching your layout again. Perhaps I should bring my flask of tea and sandwiches!!!!!!

Once again, great photos. Interesting to see faces behind the names too!

The weathering is great, which I've taken on board given my heavy handedness in this area.

Keep the pics coming. I love the 117. Mines in the dog house at the moment, I don't think it likes the hot and humid conditions here!

Cheers, Jerry

Hi guys, sorry about my lack of posts recently, but I have been busy - it is terrible how work can interfere with your hobby sometimes,

Hello Pitbull, little Ollie is a bonny baby and I wonder if he will inherit his dads love of railways? perhaps mum hopes not!! - Don't worry about the operation of the new signals it's only a couple of extra numbers to remember, really :rolleyes:.

To Jerry (Roadstone) its good to hear from you again:-

"I love the 117. Mines in the dog house at the moment, I don't think it likes the hot and humid conditions here!"

I will give you one of my secret tips on improving the running of stock, as long as you do not tell anybody else - Use WD40 to clean the wheel treads and pickups only, just use sparingly on a cotton bud (put it on with one end and take it of with the other), and be careful not to get it onto the traction tyres in particular, or any other plastic areas (if you do - just wipe it off with tissue or soft cloth straight away), and just a bit of light oil again sparingly (Peco Electrolube or similar)on the motor bearings. I find that the old Lima stuff can run as nicely as anything else, it just needs a bit more patience and maintanence, I just hope that this will improve the running for you, it allways works for me.

Anyway time for a photo, "Oi, mind my Beemer".

post-5799-126726371717_thumb.jpg

Just a reminder that the Romsey Exhibition is next weekend (6th and 7th March)and it looks a very good show as per usual, unfortunately they will have Leaford lowering the standard this year, but I hope that you can say hello if you can make it, saying that I hope that Temeraire can still make it on the Saturday, and perhaps Pitbull on the Sunday so that will at least make the number up at Leaford?

And finaly, Class 58 reverses scrap wagons onto the depot.

post-5799-126726434738_thumb.jpg

Hopefully see you at Romsey, and by best regards

Kevin.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yep I'll be there Kevin perhaps I will get more ambitious with the shunting this time once I've revised all the route numbers!biggrin.gif

Meant to ask, are you coming up to the Basingstoke show the following week? Depending on my football commitments on the Sunday you could drop in for a cuppa at home?

Yep I'll be there Kevin perhaps I will get more ambitious with the shunting this time once I've revised all the route numbers!biggrin.gif

Meant to ask, are you coming up to the Basingstoke show the following week? Depending on my football commitments on the Sunday you could drop in for a cuppa at home?

Hi guys, hello Temeraire I look forward to seeing you on Saturday at Romsey can I discuss Basingstoke then? and Jonhants I wont forget your 08.

Class 60 on Depot with MOD van train.

post-5799-126761541472_thumb.jpg

Hi Healys1 thank you for your kind comments, I am taken with the NCE Power Cab and subsequently the Power Pro it really is easy to use, again discuss at Romsey this weekend, oh! and by the way I hope that your sandwiches are cheese!!

Class 60 60042 waits patiently in the yard at Leaford for a return working to Eastleigh

post-5799-126761575665_thumb.jpg

Oh! did I mention Romsey Exhibition this weekend only a couple of days to go, I for one am looking forward to it.

47612 "Titan" shunts BDAs (more on the weathering of this loco soon).

post-5799-126761587436_thumb.jpg

See you at Romsey.

My Regards.

Kevin

• Like 4

Kevin,

The Raspberry Ripple 47 looks superb. Look forward to reading your weathering technique.

Hopefully I can follow how you do it and start weathering my locos.

Keep the photos coming

Jeff

Hi Healys1 thank you for your kind comments, I am taken with the NCE Power Cab and subsequently the Power Pro it really is easy to use, again discuss at Romsey this weekend, oh! and by the way I hope that your sandwiches are cheese!!

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.

Great photo's, keep them coming! :)

I hope to be at Romsey on Sunday and look forward to meeting you. I won't forget the cheese sandwich! :D

I must say I really admire your layout, you have given me so much inspiration that I have decided to start building a new layout myself, much to my familys dismay. In the past I have had so many false starts and my efforts have usually ended up in the bin! My family are placing bets that I won't get past the planning stage - I intend to prove them wrong!

Sean

Hi Kevin

Like the look of the new toys, are Titan and the 60 sound fitted for Saturday?

Hello Ian, you're looking well, yes both Titan and the 60042 Dunkery Beacon are sound fitted, and will be working trains at Romsey this weekend.

Here are more pictures of both.

post-5799-126773866938_thumb.jpg

post-5799-126773869853_thumb.jpg

See you at Romsey, and my best regards.

Kevin.

• Like 3

Class 60 on Depot with MOD van train.

post-5799-126761541472_thumb.jpg

Hi Kevin

Not posted for a while, but great to catch up with your work and seeing some great photos.

I really like some of the dusk/nighttime shots like the Class 60 on Depot, it is very atmospheric. So I was wondering if you explain how you archive them; what sort of background lighting do you use apart from the lights on the layout itself and do you do any 'photoshopping' of the image to get the dusk/nighttime feel.

I would love to know as they have inspired me I to try these types of shots on my 2010 layout North Marsh Road (once it is built that is)

Thanks

Paul

Hi Kevin , Great to see you and your layout at the Romsey show, its a cracking layout ,very impressed with the DDc setup with working points, signals, locos( the cromptons sound hell-fire..)..I was talking to an old work collegue who has retired and we were listening to the 33, 50 and 58 all ticking over and watching the `thumper` and 33+TC and he was also well impressed ,as he has driven most if not all types of traction on the layout thats pretty good..cheers Keith (YVM).

I've been dying to see this layout for ages and was finally going to do so at Romsey. Unfortunately, circumstances dictated otherwise so I'll have to wait....again. When is it's next outing? I see it's not on the exhibit list for Basingstoke this weekend.

• RMweb Premium

Chris B

Its on the list at Basingstoke next year 2011 I believe!

Next outing is Melksham April 10th & 11th, where I hope to be "driving" again on the Sunday.icon_thumbsup2.gif

Hope you don't mind me replying for you Kevin, how was Sunday, did you get the signals working again?.

Hi Guys, just finished setting the layout back up again in its natural habitat after the weekend at Romsey, and boy what an enjoyable weekend, it was nice to see some old friends and equally as good to meet some new - Hi yellowvanman thankyou for coming to say hello I am sorry we did not talk more, but it sounds that you met an old mate and had a good chinwag, perhaps next time if you can make it, it wont be quite as busy - I cannot take the credit for the sound locos they are all down to NCE, ESU Loksound Chips and especially Brian from Howes of Oxford, and they are certainly Hellfire!!

Hi ChrisB and Temeraire,

"Its on the list at Basingstoke next year 2011 I believe!

Next outing is Melksham April 10th & 11th, where I hope to be "driving" again on the Sunday.icon_thumbsup2.gif

Hope you don't mind me replying for you Kevin, how was Sunday, did you get the signals working again?."

No I dont, and yes indeed we did, it would appear that everytime a short circuit occurs the ESU Switchpilot has to be re-programmed, is this normal I wonder? however it did not detract from a very enjoyable weekend as I have already said, and I must thank Patrick (PatC on here) and all the other organisers for a splendid show.

Many thanks also to Barry, Temeraire(Ian) and Pitbull(Scott) for their operating skills, and lastly thankyou to all of the people passing by both days for their interest.

Hello Jaggzug

"I really like some of the dusk/nighttime shots like the Class 60 on Depot, it is very atmospheric. So I was wondering if you explain how you archive them; what sort of background lighting do you use apart from the lights on the layout itself and do you do any 'photoshopping' of the image to get the dusk/nighttime feel."

You make it sound as if I know what I am doing, but in reality my little Kodak Easyshare 813 is the very first camera that I have ever owned, and I have only had that for 18 months and that really is my only experience of photography, my misses taking all of our family/holiday photos over the years, here is a photo of my "lighting equipment" that I use.

post-5799-126805954195_thumb.jpg

The only 'photoshopping' that I use came with a £39.00 HP Photosmart C4480 combined printer/scanner/copier and is called HP Photosmart Essential 3.5 in which enables me carry out limited cropping and lighting improvement, what I do is experiment with different camera angles, zoom settings in both normal and close up modes, and turn the room lights on and off, draw and undraw the curtains and use the lighting equipment pictured above, and take loads and loads of shots - most have to be sent to the recycle bin but every now and then I like to think a good one comes out, I hope that this helps.

And just to remind you of the next show at Melksham on April 10th and 11th I cant wait.

Regards Kevin.

• Like 2

Melksham it is then! Takes about the same amount of time to get there as it would, Basingstoke.

Cheers for that.

Hi ChrisB, It will be good to meet at long last, I am looking forward to seeing Wintringham Haven at Trainwest 2010, ever since I saw it in the Railway Modeller it has been a favourite of mine and I have never seen it for real.

Anyway a photo of Leaford

It would appear that there is a troublesome truck of a different nature in the yard, it must be serious as it is taking three people to look at it.

post-5799-126814918799_thumb.jpg

My regards Kevin.

• Like 2

Hi Kevin

Just looked at the website for Trainwest 2010 and yes, there are some cracking layouts on the list. Oldshaw is also a favourite of mine. Wintringham Haven is one of those where the amount of track has been kept to an absolute minimum and is all the better for it. I just couldn't do that!

Keep up the good work and I'll see you then.

Chris

Hi guys, I hope that you don't mind but I thought I would post a couple of pictures of a project that I started some 15 years ago, and have just today got round to nearly finishing it off, there is still stuff to do, anyway see what you think.

PCV RES activity in Leaford yard

post-5799-126851641529_thumb.jpg

and 47768 "Resonant" brings up the rear upon departure.

post-5799-126851648129_thumb.jpg

the PCVs are conversions from some ancient Lima Mk 1 coaching stock, oh well more weathering to do, that reminds me the step by step guide for weathering is nearly finished and will be coming soon.

And finally a 33/1 heads a parcels train for Willesden out of the yard.

post-5799-126851662915_thumb.jpg

My regards

Kevin

• Like 2