Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• RMweb Premium

Ian Allan in Birmingham have put some "Morning Sun" US Railroad books back on the sale table.

There were about 15-20 titles lunchtime today all @£10 which is about a quarter the original UK price!

I noticed a couple of PRR & some Burlington amongst them.

I'm not au fait on US stuff so most meant little to me!

Cheers

Keith

My parcel arrived today with a Blue/Grey BG plus 2 Mk 2 TSOs. 

The best bargain though was the free rocket that arrived with it.  Hope you are all enjoying using yours!

attachicon.gifDSC00845.JPG

I opted out of this magnificent offer due to the stuff having to go to my mothers , who then has to send on the items to me here in mooseland. (Take up valuable space)

• RMweb Gold

My DCR 31 has just been refunded, when I purchased it, it said 2 left in stock. I'll be interested to see if you get yours Big Jim as you had the last one... I'm not too fussed, I didn't need it but it would've been a nice bargain to have.

Hate to say it scott but my 31 is due for delivery today via courier!

Went in to B&M looking for the magnetic tool - no joy, although there were plenty of illuminated tweezers.

BUT, came out with nice organiser box reduced from £2.49 to £1.49 and a precision screwdriver set reduced from 99p to just 50p! 

The items are good value at the normal price but at the reduced price it was impossible to walk out the store without getting them!

My local B&M has tools and gadgets spread around the store (usually at the ends of the aisles) not all in one section so you have to go hunting!  But well worth the effort. 

post-17874-0-69654200-1452865977.jpg

• RMweb Gold

My parcel arrived today with a Blue/Grey BG plus 2 Mk 2 TSOs. 

The best bargain though was the free rocket that arrived with it.  Hope you are all enjoying using yours!

attachicon.gifDSC00845.JPG

My rocket was delivered at 9:10 this a.m.in company with 5 Hornby Pullmans.Ordered 18:00 Wednesday.Pretty good going,,I think.

I shall be watching Hawkins website with keen interest now,

My parcel was delivered today but because I wasn't in, it was taken back to the depot I presume. This was in spite of notifying UK mail that they could leave the parcel in the porch. I printed out the card and signed it as per their instructions and left it for the courier, to no avail. He left a blank "sorry we missed you" card on top of the printed card I had left in the porch.

Tried to phone but couldn't speak to a human being and was told by electronic voice that they were unable to arrange a new delivery date.

What a state this country is in.

Pete

P.S cancelled the rocket.

I have now received a reply to my e mail informing me that the parcel will be delivered on Monday.

Apparently they are not permitted to leave the parcel somewhere safe on the first time of delivering.

Pete

For the record my Hornby K1 arrived dead on time as per the email from UKmail. Well packed and pristine box / model. Definitely NOT a return / second.

Not sure about the "rocket" though !!!

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Not sure whether there is anything worth having in them but the Works have some 1/16 radio control cars for just £6!

Maybe a servo or a motor?

Or maybe just a nice cheap car for a little 'un?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

someone mentioned nail buffers a few pages back, got these from poundland earlier for, wait for it, a pound, 4 different functions on the faces, file, buff, polish and something else

527B5736-9F6D-4C9D-91C9-88B74BA6E4B8.jpg

also an e-book led reading light

253CFC35-EAF9-4757-99BC-7CA87F5D9ED6.jpg

handy for that little bit of extra light when detailing etc

without it

B1B720F0-9A68-4ED5-AD0F-7FF2C1811B1A.jpg

and with the light

7386FCF8-C2CB-4095-9D2C-5C149837E82F.jpg

never made it to b+m to see if they had any led pick up tools

• RMweb Gold

Argh! Book Law (hopefully with reasonably straight running plate) for £77.50 and some bauxite wagons. Really shouldn't have, with "Bude" already in the post....oh, well, looks like selling some stuff on Ebay next week....

All arrived safely today. Book Law seems immaculate, and runs beautifully. V pleased, just about to start photographing older stuff to put on Ebay to pay for it........

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Received my order from HB this afternoon - all present and correct and very happy!  As others have said, the delivery time is excellent - ordered Wednesday evening and delivered today. 

As I have two sons, I needed to place another order tonight - only to get another rocket of course - it would be very unfair otherwise :-).

Cheers,

Aidan

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks,

Just ordered one set. 

I do look at Amazon most days and the last time was this afternoon, but I didn't spot this, so many thanks 30801.

Cheers,

Aidan

The price seems to have been slowly dropping over the last 5 days or so, presumably following one of Amazon's complicated algorithms.

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Hornby-Gloucester-City-Pullman-Train/product/B00IJZIGFO?context=browse

It may drop further, or may suddenly go back up to full price. Who knows? Sometimes Amazon is a combination of gambling and shopping.

Presumably the engine is the Railroad version?

From the logo I presume this is either as in its final days with BR, or as-preserved?

• RMweb Gold

I have now received a reply to my e mail informing me that the parcel will be delivered on Monday.

Apparently they are not permitted to leave the parcel somewhere safe on the first time of delivering.

That matches with my experience. They certainly didn't leave it somewhere safe.

Taking the bins out tonight I could just make out something in the dark propped against SWMBO's car. Turned out to be my box full of Hornby goodies that very very nearly spent the night out under the stars.

No card through the door or anything like that.

That matches with my experience. They certainly didn't leave it somewhere safe.

Taking the bins out tonight I could just make out something in the dark propped against SWMBO's car. Turned out to be my box full of Hornby goodies that very very nearly spent the night out under the stars.

No card through the door or anything like that

Had similar thing happen to something Yodel delivered to me. They left it under the car without leaving a note. I came outside, jumped in the car and went to work. Luckily, arriving home 8 hours later, said parcel was sat there in the middle of the drive in plain view from the road.

Not new, and not sure whether it has been mentioned before, but Peter's Spares has some excellent prices for the Bachmann train sets.

http://www.petersspares.com/Bachmann-train-sets.irc

I had been looking for the Thames Clyde set for several weeks and the original price showing of £148.71 was good compared to most other retailers. It has then been reduced by a further £22 to £126.40. Not so sure if the other sets are as much of a bargain but, having bought the Thames Clyde set, packaging is superb and customer service very good as well. Delighted and would certainly recommend.

• RMweb Gold

If you go into Amazon and search on Hornby priced in order from high to low there's lots of stuff £300+. Even though some items show a few in stock it seems to be their system's way of keeping a placeholder until re-stocking takes place.

• RMweb Premium

If you go into Amazon and search on Hornby priced in order from high to low there's lots of stuff £300+. Even though some items show a few in stock it seems to be their system's way of keeping a placeholder until re-stocking takes place.

While Amazon's pricing strategies certainly aren't obvious, when something is out of stock they normally just say so. (And take advance orders if appropriate).

This is not being sold directly by Amazon, but from a third party "Marketplace" seller, and it seems as if just about everything on the £300+ list is from the same seller (I checked a few at random and they were, but most of the others have exactly the same delivery cost so are probably also them).

Curiously, everything they have for sale appears to be "only 3 left". Something odd is going on.

I'm also a bit concerned by "Manufacturer recommended age: 36 Months - 50 Years". That would seem to rule out quite a few potential purchasers...

Edit: They have lots of positive feedback, but also someone complaining they paid three times what something was worth. Caveat Emptor and all that.

Archived