Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Noticed Model Junction are offering 30% of orders of £100+ until midnight Monday.

http://www.modeljunction.info/estore/information.php?info_id=14

Hardly any UK stuff but someone might be interested in 

Bachmann 32-762DS Class 57/3 57312 'The Hood' in Virgin Trains Livery (Weathered & DCC Sound Fitted) http://www.modeljunction.info/estore/index.php?cPath=220_235

• RMweb Premium

Lots of discounts on Bachmann at Model Railways Direct

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/store/search.asp?keyword=SpecialOffersOO&nspbBachmann

e.g. Shunters trucks 47-53% off

31-127 & 31-128 RODs @ £79.99

Plenty of other locos and wagons @ 30% off

Coaches 25-33% off

Scenecraft up to 55% off

Keith

Hattons have a Hornby R1184 Western Express digital train set with eLink with TTS sound Hall steam loco for £125+p&p (rrp £299.99) (PC/Laptop Required). It's Railroad range & Model Rail magazine gave this Hall 92%. If you add up the individual items @ Hattons reduced prices (about £200) it's very good value.

And NO I don't have any connection with Hattons, I just want us modellers to get value for their hard earned cash!!!

http://www.ehattons.com/98901/Hornby_R1184_Western_Express_digital_train_set_with_eLink_with_TTS_sound_Hall_steam_loco/StockDetail.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

There's a bookshop in the hospital concourse in Cardiff called Books Plus. On my lunch break the other day I noticed they had copies of two British Railway Modelling books 'Modern Wagons in 4mm Scale' and 'Building Modern 4mm Scale Wagons' both by Nigel Burkin. They were priced at £3.99 instead of rrp £11.99.

I don't really do 'modern' (to be honest I don't really do anything at the moment as I'm a bit distracted with other stuff) but the general principles of kits and weathering look very good. And at that price it was cheaper than buying two magazines.

They had a couple more copies of each left in the shop.

Hobbycraft - 4 sheets of foam board for £10.  I have seen 3 for £10 previously but can't recall a 4 for £10 offer.

Staples - 64L Really Useful Boxes - 3 for £23.37 (normally £10.99 each)

Wickes - 35L Really Useful Boxes - 3 for £23,97 (I think - it was just under £8 each when 3 are purchased together).  Current Hobbycraft price - £12 each.

All seen in Greenwich / Charlton (SE3) area of London.

Hobbycraft - 4 sheets of foam board for £10.  I have seen 3 for £10 previously but can't recall a 4 for £10 offer.

Staples - 64L Really Useful Boxes - 3 for £23.37 (normally £10.99 each)

Wickes - 35L Really Useful Boxes - 3 for £23,97 (I think - it was just under £8 each when 3 are purchased together).  Current Hobbycraft price - £12 each.

All seen in Greenwich / Charlton (SE3) area of London.

Rymans usually have the Really Useful Boxes on offer. IIRC 2x 35L for £20, 3x 18L for £20 and other offers.

Our local Poundland has started selling a range of emulsion matt paint in about 3ooml pots, and they are very good for layout landscape work. It includes light brick, grey, brown, sage, ( stone), cream, and others.

All mix well, and can have PVA added to make the mat finish more sticky for flocking and texture materials. The paint quick dries and is odourless. They are in plastic tubs that are near clear, so you can see the shade of the paint.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Hattons have several Bachmann 32-508 BR Standard 5mt in green for £82, although they have one less than they had five minutes ago :)

Haven't seen these under £100 anywhere else and many second hand ones on ebay are dearer than £80

Hattons have several Bachmann 32-508 BR Standard 5mt in green for £82, although they have one less than they had five minutes ago :)

Haven't seen these under £100 anywhere else and many second hand ones on ebay are dearer than £80

I have considered one of these, but the haulage capabilities are meant to be particularly poor on the 5MT. Have you found this?

• RMweb Gold

I have considered one of these, but the haulage capabilities are meant to be particularly poor on the 5MT. Have you found this?

I had read this too, but not yet tested the loco. In the same review I read it's a very good looking loco and "captures the original" Happy at £82 if I have to make some upgrades like extra pickups and weight.

Edit to say the review was on an older model, I'm hoping as this is the latest release Bachmann might have improved it themselves

I have considered one of these, but the haulage capabilities are meant to be particularly poor on the 5MT...

... Happy at £82 if I have to make some upgrades like extra pickups and weight.

Edit to say the review was on an older model, I'm hoping as this is the latest release Bachmann might have improved it themselves

The price is right! That's pretty much what it was priced at back in circa 2002 when first released, if my memory serves.

Bachmann aren't that big on revisiting models, so I wouldn't be surprised to find that it still has the much oversprung bogie lifting weight off the driving wheels, and the leading driver spring rather too soft to boot, resulting in less than stellar pulling power. A search should turn up earlier threads on the ways and means for improving this model's traction.

The price is right! That's pretty much what it was priced at back in circa 2002 when first released, if my memory serves.

Bachmann aren't that big on revisiting models, so I wouldn't be surprised to find that it still has the much oversprung bogie lifting weight off the driving wheels, and the leading driver spring rather too soft to boot, resulting in less than stellar pulling power. A search should turn up earlier threads on the ways and means for improving this model's traction.

Could someone point me in the direction of the thread, I have done a search but I can't find it. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that I remember reading that thread recently, but I'm blowed if I can find it now!

I'm wondering whether the thread was actually about the 2-6-4T rather than the 4-6-0.  Either way, though, I can't find it...

The most relevant hits I can find are this one (it's about the Bachmann Jubilee, but the problem, cause and solution seem the same) and this one (Bachmann Standard Class 4 this time - see post #18 in particular).

Not so much of a bargain, but noticed in the Cheltenham Model Centre shop a couple of days ago that they had a number of pre  Hornby Humbrol spray paint cans in stock in certain colours. I noticed some black and some white cans there for example.

These don't seem to be listed on their site so I would suggest ringing or calling in if you are interested.

Our local Poundland has started selling a range of emulsion matt paint in about 3ooml pots, and they are very good for layout landscape work. It includes light brick, grey, brown, sage, ( stone), cream, and others.

Before we waste a journey, you haven't told us the price...

Archived