Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• RMweb Premium

Ian Allan ...rail freight in colour by David cable , Reduced from 14.99 to 4.99 , good for 1980's and sector liveries, weathering and formations.94 pages of quality colour photos.

On Amazon from £2.53 plus £2.80 p&p, so only 34p dearer. Ordered one.

Thanks,

Rob

Hawkins are having a good sale

Lots have price Hornby including the Gresley connection and green class 71's

http://www.hawkin.com/model-shop/Hornby/sort-by/price/sort-direction/desc

£274.99?  That's not to be sneezed at for four locos, is it?

I just got myself lined up to grab a Q6 and some teak suburbans.... no non EU shipping.  :-(

But still, those are serious bargains - thanx for the tip.

Lots of half price Hornby including the Gresley collection and green class 71's

Thanks for that, picked up the sentinel, by the looks of things most of the Hornby catalogue is half price, perhaps they fear they will be left with too much stock after Christmas?

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Lots of half price Hornby including the Gresley collection and green class 71's

Wow thanks for that.  I got caught out last year when things flew off the shelves* - let's see what happens this year.

I hopefully bagged 1 of the 4 remaining Black 5's and one of the remaining 2 Thomas Hardy's along with a couple of Collet coaches.

*They did refund the next day after initially confirming order, so at least they have their act together quite well

• RMweb Gold

BR Collett break for 20 quid, at that price it's worth it for the bogies and chassis!

Now to decide between a repaint into wartime brown or a set of shortened comet sides to make a BCK.....

Or just using the chassis under my H33

Should have ordered a few more!

• RMweb Gold

BR Collett break for 20 quid, at that price it's worth it for the bogies and chassis!

Now to decide between a repaint into wartime brown or a set of shortened comet sides to make a BCK.....

Or just using the chassis under my H33

Should have ordered a few more!

I ordered a couple of Colletts, in hindsight maybe I should have ordered more.  The site now looks like locusts have descended as most of the good stuff has (unsurprisingly) gone.  Just hope I don't get a Dear John email tomorrow like I did last year.

• RMweb Premium

It just goes to show the mark up on these items if HB can knock them out at these prices.

Of course if HB is going to loose its concession status, it might be cheaper to sell at a loss than to ship unsold stock back to the Hornby warehouse, book it all in, check for damage and condition, and then probably have to sell at a reduced price because the boxes will have been damaged or faded.

It just goes to show the mark up on these items if HB can knock them out at these prices.

Why do you assume that there is profit at this price? Many sales of this type are about cash flow, at the prices quoted they will have been selling at below trade price for the normal retail trade. 

Why do you assume that there is profit at this price? Many sales of this type are about cash flow, at the prices quoted they will have been selling at below trade price for the normal retail trade. 

These prices are well below trade price. This is yet another dumping of Hornby stock that is making many retailers wonder if it is worth supporting the red box company. Especially when many of these items have come into us at a higher trade price than the Hawkins price to the end customer. 

Can I venture that "Bargain Hunters" is not the place for ethical discussions about supply chains and retailers. Call me selfish or a tightwad, whatever, but I look here to buy something at the best price. End of. I don't have limiltless hobby funds to make the support of a single chosen retailer feasible and even if I did, I doubt I'd sleep better or get a "warm fuzzy" feeling because of it. Dog eat dog, best price wins, blah blah blah. Whoever that may be... direct from manufacturer, box shifter, Black Friday sale, winter sale etc etc etc.

Edit... with apologies in advance to anyone that may be offended, but other threads are available (plenty of them, in fact).

• RMweb Gold

These prices are well below trade price. This is yet another dumping of Hornby stock that is making many retailers wonder if it is worth supporting the red box company. Especially when many of these items have come into us at a higher trade price than the Hawkins price to the end customer. 

Do you have any evidence to support dumping by Hornby? 

After being alerted by the OP, it seemed the quantities available of those items I wanted were small:  Black 5 - 4 for sale, Brit/Thomas Hardy - 2 for sale, Collet coaches - can't remember the number but not many.  Hobb-email of Faversham were quoted on here a couple of weeks back (their one week after Black Friday sale).  They too were selling off stock at approx 50pct below street price in small numbers. I got a Hornby 4F for about £45 and Bachmann Dukedog for £55ish.  No-one suggested they were dumping, simply clearing shelves for new stock/generating cash or a bit of both.  My feeling as a customer was that the prices and volumes quoted by Hawkins were in the same vein.

Archived