Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Andypops,

The railway area of Boswells is on the first floor no where near any windows, last time I was in they had on of each loco in a poorly lit (if lit at all) cabinet. So if you have an ex-display model it should still be fine, but they have never had premium range locos stacked on the shelves so if it is brand new in box it should be just that. Several railroad locos were on the shelf with the wagons and coaches though. I hope that this has helped, and I hope I can pop in before the sale and ends.

Jason

Andypops,

The railway area of Boswells is on the first floor no where near any windows, last time I was in they had on of each loco in a poorly lit (if lit at all) cabinet. So if you have an ex-display model it should still be fine, but they have never had premium range locos stacked on the shelves so if it is brand new in box it should be just that. Several railroad locos were on the shelf with the wagons and coaches though. I hope that this has helped, and I hope I can pop in before the sale and ends.

Thanks very much Jason - I bought online and they have their Hornby on there until (I think) Jan 7th.

I must say that I'm very impressed already with their customer service. I asked an email question at ~1915, I received a reply at 2025, which shows that they plainly work late there!

Hopefully the loco will arrive in good condition and I'll be able to feel very smug both with the bargin and terrific service!

Andy

Many thanks to napierlion for the link to Sawyer Models.

Ordered a Bachmann 350/1 Desiro 4 car EMU from them at lunchtime for just £85 with free delivery.

That is cheap motoring.

Hi,

Glad you managed to grab one. I was very tempted myself. Popped in today to wish them all the best for the new year and they said more items have been added to the Christmas sale with more to come in the new year.

Happy new year everyone

Charles

Popped into the Hornby shop in Swindon outlet village yesterday they had several of the latest Britts on sale at £89 and £99.

Just cant remember which ones they were

Happy new year all

Trailrage

Thanks very much Jason - I bought online and they have their Hornby on there until (I think) Jan 7th.

I must say that I'm very impressed already with their customer service. I asked an email question at ~1915, I received a reply at 2025, which shows that they plainly work late there!

Hopefully the loco will arrive in good condition and I'll be able to feel very smug both with the bargin and terrific service!

Andy

Glad Andy had luck with his purchase. Sadly I went through the whole purchase process of a sound Hornby Class 08 and when they went to post the said item could not find it so had to cancel the order! Hope the New Year brings me better luck in finding bargains!

Perhaps the packaging is worth £30 or maybe there is some additional content around the background to Dunkirk?

it's always been like that on their pages, the set costs more than the parts, i wonder if Kernow purchased the items already split by Hornby, when I bought the coaches they came in polystyrene packaging with a clear cover selotaped over.

Don't know if anyone else has been looking for some considering the bargains to be had recently but kernow have the R4622 mk2e open coach for £16.99 in blue/grey. There are loads of brake and first class coaches available elsewhere but this is the only place I have seen the standard class coach.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Continuing the Hornby concession sell off, Fenwicks in Canterbury have 30% off everything Hornby. A number of their other stores have Hornby concessions and they all have the same offer. The chap told me they aim to clear everything by end of January. No mail order I am afraid.

30% applies to all marked prices, including items already reduced. I managed to get a Patriot for £68 and Brit Thomas Hardy for £112. A rake of 6 Railroad Mk1s for £14 each and 3 ex LSWR stock in Southern green for £28 each.

Deal of the decade was King Arthur class Sir Sagramore, spotted languishing on the counter I asked the chap about it. Apparently, when they cleared their cabinet they couldn't find the box and when they tested it, it wouldn't work. On asking what they were going to do with it they said they would sell it as an ornament, "how much?" I asked? £5 came the reply less 30% discount so £3.50?

Needless to say, Sir Sagramore came home with me! Valve gear was badly deformed and binding, but 15 minutes of fettling and runs like a dream. Everyone's a winner!

Good luck,

Steve

Similarly with the concessions, Beales are having 30% off, I managed to pick up a Crimson Hornby Gresley Suburban brake in Tonbridge for £28 earlier this afternoon. £3.50 for a King Arthur is quite something though! 

Coming to Lidl on 8th Jan....

Powerfix Wire Strippers.

Ideal for opening gaps on bus wires so you can wrap round droppers

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=40674&ar=7

When I clicked on the above link to the strippers I got a red information band across the top of the product details and "This page might contain products not available in your store."

You need to go to this page http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/785.htm and enter in the details to find you local store(s), select one and then see if its listed under the DIY Jan 8 stock from the icon at the top of the page.

• RMweb Gold

If anyone is looking for B17 Serlby Hall (early issue unweathered version) Fenwicks Canterbury have one for around £75 (already on special) less 30%. There was only one, so it may be worth a phone call to check if it's still there and they may put it aside.

Was going to pick it up, but figured I had done enough damage to my bank account by then.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

If anyone is looking for B17 Serlby Hall (early issue unweathered version) Fenwicks Canterbury have one for around £75 (already on special) less 30%. There was only one, so it may be worth a phone call to check if it's still there and they may put it aside.

Was going to pick it up, but figured I had done enough damage to my bank account by then.

Steve

Fenwicks is always worth a look as they regularly (Newcastle store) have substantial discounts on older Hornby stock.

I've picked up loads there over the years.

Keith

My Hawkins bargain arrived this morning, no despatch emails just the original order confirmation despite me paying for tracked delivery.

Was a very pleasant surprise from the postie.

Hi JRSS,   when did you place your order?  I'm still awaiting mine from 23rd December. 

Regards.

John

Archived