Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Unfortunately that £120 price tag is one of those fictional things they use to pretend the current price is half-off. :angry:

Argos' eBay clearance shop has a similar set for £39 at the moment. They've sold sets like these for £19.99 in the past.

Presumably, by law, those sets will need to have been offered for sale at £120 somewhere at some point, but it does make you wonder who would have bought them at that price.

At £60, if you needed some track and a cheap controller, you could just about justify buying these sets (despite the usually semi-fictional loco), but I wouldn't go much higher.

Good shout on the Argos clearance shop. Their "physical" outlet (as opposed to Ebay, that is) is called "Clearance Bargains", and occasionally has some great discounts. There's one in Walsall, near to me, and I usually drop by if I'm in the area to see what's on offer.

Today I had as leaflet from Maplins, where they were advertising these. I stress that I haven't yet seen them, but I thought they may possibly work as overhead lighting rig for layout maybe without too much weight

post-6688-016345100 1286471096_thumb.jpg

EDIT - Looked at these today(Friday) - very light weight, the units just push together, but unable to tell how much light they will cast as there are none on display

Today I had as leaflet from Maplins, where they were advertising these. I stress that I haven't yet seen them, but I thought they may possibly work as overhead lighting rig for layout maybe without too much weight

post-6688-016345100 1286471096_thumb.jpg

EDIT - Looked at these today(Friday) - very light weight, the units just push together, but unable to tell how much light they will cast as there are none on display

They look identical to the ones sold by Ikea - I got some for downlighters on some kitchen cabinets, and I think they were on offer and cheaper than this. They're good, but I don't think the light output is that great. its good for our downlighting, but for overhead lighting, I think they may be a little weak.

London Midland - Cheap Fare Offer - Their website is painfully slow

The Great Escape is back – and it’s bigger and better than ever!

Simply travel after the morning rush between 23 October and 31 October and go anywhere on London Midland trains for just £10 – or treat yourself to first class for just £10 more.

Visit as many or as few places as you like – the price covers your travel all day. You can even travel home during the evening rush hour.

Link to Voucher

Happened to notice today that Hornby have the late crest BR 4-6-0 Standard Class 75000 in their sale section.

The DCC fitted one R2715X is £79.99 which even beats Hattons.

Didn't think that was too bad for a recent model fitted with a decoder.

Just been browsing Hattons site and they have some Vitrains 47's and 37's at heavily discounted prices, although you'll have to be quick as some of their stock levels look low. eg Class 47/7 diesel 47768 "Resonant" in RES livery - £37.00, Class 47/3 diesel 47370 'Andrew A Hodgkinson' in Freightliner Triple Grey "Red Triangle" livery - £36.00

Get 'em while you can

Here's a link to them... http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/Bargain_List.aspx?ManID=121&PrTyID=1

Cheers

Matt

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Further to MattG's post above, Hattons are also selling some Dapol N Gauge 153s at £56 cheapest I've seen...

East MIdlands - http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?sid=31842

London Midland - http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?sid=31847

And quite cheap on MK111's - http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?sid=31962

No connection other than satisfied customer.

Just ordered 37800 'Glo Cymru' for the bargain price of £33.50 from Hattons - absolute bargain! Must put the credit card away as I could easily order a further 4 or 5 at those prices :rolleyes:

Picked one of those up from the shop yesterday along with 37709 and a RES 47. Not bad going, 3 new locos for £106.50 in total. The 37's are going to be worked on though, new windscreens and fan grill (Shawplan), also fit wire cab door handrails, Hornby buffers, lower ride height. The 47 though will just be renumbered maybe.

Cheers

Simon

Picked one of those up from the shop yesterday along with 37709 and a RES 47. Not bad going, 3 new locos for £106.50 in total. The 37's are going to be worked on though, new windscreens and fan grill (Shawplan), also fit wire cab door handrails, Hornby buffers, lower ride height. The 47 though will just be renumbered maybe.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon - would be interested to see how you get on with your 37 detailing, plan to do something to my Vi 37422 albeit my skills are somewhat limited :blink: Think I'll be getting a couple of the 47's for Christmas - Vi certainly do some nice liveries!

• 2 weeks later...

Just been having a browse on Amazon, and some of the book offers seem ridiculously cheap. Noticed the 'Power of' series, classes 20 and 60 at £6 each, 'Diesels in Depth The Westerns' at about a fiver, 'diesels in retrospective', class 47 and 37 £6 each. Thats a lot cheaper than I have seen them secondhand!

Happy hunting

Regards

Lee

• RMweb Premium

Good spot on those Lee. There are some very long expected delivery dates 4-7 weeks on these though.

Just had a message that a couple of the books that I had ordered with a delivery date in the new year have just been given a new delivery date of about a weeks time. One of the books still has a long delivery date though.

• RMweb Premium

Good spot on those Lee. There are some very long expected delivery dates 4-7 weeks on these though.

Yes, thanks for that, good call Lee, just got the Power of...Merchant Navies book, the class 73&74 book and a station architecture book for around 15 quid all in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_n_18?rh=n%3A266239%2Cn%3A!405736%2Cn%3A!401422011%2Cn%3A16231791%2Cn%3A59&bbn=16231791&ie=UTF8&qid=1290002196&rnid=1025612

Lee,

Many thanks for getting this onto our radar.

Have just snapped up the Colin Maggs: Life on the Bath to Bournemouth Line which was already on my shopping list.

Then looking back and reading a couple of reviews, thought that the Westerns (Diesels in Depth) and Diesels around London were also too good to miss at a delivered price less than a packet of cigarettes each!

Thanks,

Southall

Guest no1stpaddy

Just bougt the Dapol Colas Class 66 twin set for £54 plus postage from Hattons. They have just reduced the Fastline 66 as well to £38.

• RMweb Premium

Just had a message that a couple of the books that I had ordered with a delivery date in the new year have just been given a new delivery date of about a weeks time. One of the books still has a long delivery date though.

Same here, maybe they found another boxfull in the warehouse or something. :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

Same here, maybe they found another boxfull in the warehouse or something. :rolleyes:

Even better though got a further pair of messages today telling that all the books I had ordered have been despatched. That is a bonus. biggrin.gif

themodeller.com has Hornby's sound fitted Valiant Class 50 for £126. Haven't seen any of Hornby's sound offerings at this price before. I've never bought from them before and won't be this time as my modelling budget has already been blown out of the water. Hope this is of some interest to someone out there

cheers

Matt

Unfortunately that £120 price tag is one of those fictional things they use to pretend the current price is half-off. :angry:

Argos' eBay clearance shop has a similar set for £39 at the moment. They've sold sets like these for £19.99 in the past.

I never realised Argos was on ebay until I saw this.

I wonder if 2753 'negatives' is some kind of record, but to be fair, they do have over 495,000 feedbacks which is pretty impressive.

Thanks for the tip Skipepsi - followed the link and found I had £121.50 of "lost" vouchers sitting unclaimed. This may sound like slack housekeeping but our house was in complete disarray for a year whilst we were extending (adding a railway room amongst other things :-)) so that is my excuse! Anyways with the double points offer Tesco running until 5th Dec this became £243 and bought a host of DIY items and new cot for baby! Great and timely tip!

Matt

Archived