Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Is this stuff any good for removing paint from models or cleaning up brass kits perhaps?

Or did I just stumble into a hitherto unknown section of RMWeb "Bargains that have nothing to do with railway modelling"?

Have you never tried modelling after six bottles of cider?

Ed

Have you never tried modelling after six bottles of cider?

Yes, but only down to my pants (I think, I can't really remember)... I have the photos somewhere, and if the thread doesn't get back on track, I might post one, and it won't be a pretty sight... Spoil everyone's lunch, for sure.

:no:

And on that bombshell, the next bargain is...?

Meanwhile, back in the bargains thread.....

The Hobby and Model Centre in Bolton still has Bachmann rolling stock in stock from several years ago at original RRP. The LNER vent vans were brand new in box for less than a tenner, and they had other stuff like Seacows for around £15.

A Oakes are still doing offers for in store shoppers

Springtime OFFERS FOR YOUR RAILWAY!

ALL METCALFE CARD KITS Special 3 for 2 offer. N & 00 Gauges

Choose any three only pay for 2 (Cheapest free)

Diecast Models (Oxford, Corgi, Exclusive First Edition Buses and Pocket Bond) Special 3 for 2 Offer N & 00 Gauges

Choose any three only pay for 2 (Cheapest free)

http://www.aoakesmodeltrains.co.uk/

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, back in the bargains thread.....

The Hobby and Model Centre in Bolton still has Bachmann rolling stock in stock from several years ago at original RRP. The LNER vent vans were brand new in box for less than a tenner, and they had other stuff like Seacows for around £15.

As I'm in Bolton, I'm going to drop in there tomorrow afternoon, first time in that shop for maybe 20 years ! (Though I thought it was in a different place last time).

From memory there was Bolton Model Mart, and one up Halliwell road, not to mention Ronnies in Farnworth, where much of my paper round money was spent in the 80's/90's!

As I'm in Bolton, I'm going to drop in there tomorrow afternoon, first time in that shop for maybe 20 years ! (Though I thought it was in a different place last time).

From memory there was Bolton Model Mart, and one up Halliwell road, not to mention Ronnies in Farnworth, where much of my paper round money was spent in the 80's/90's!

I believe he has moved at some point - my Father remembers going to his old shop to get paints for his modelling habits in probably the early 1980s. Of the others you mention only Bolton Model Mart still exists.

Edited for amusing typos

• RMweb Premium

https://railsofsheffield.com/Hornby-r3390-virgin-class-43-hst-pack-dcc-ready-r3390-Hornby-JJJA32196.aspx

If this isn't the bargain of the month, I don't know what is!  A pair of VTEC HST power cars for £89.50!  Their ad in the current Rail Express lists them at £99.50, which was already a great price, for a pair of new style Hornby power cars - frankly even if they were the ex-Lima Railroad ones, at today's prices it would still be a decent buy.  They've had the sound removed, but for many people, that won't matter I suspect.  

https://railsofsheffield.com/Hornby-r3390-virgin-class-43-hst-pack-dcc-ready-r3390-Hornby-JJJA32196.aspx

If this isn't the bargain of the month, I don't know what is!  A pair of VTEC HST power cars for £89.50!  Their ad in the current Rail Express lists them at £99.50, which was already a great price, for a pair of new style Hornby power cars - frankly even if they were the ex-Lima Railroad ones, at today's prices it would still be a decent buy.  They've had the sound removed, but for many people, that won't matter I suspect.  

If they can do them for that it really makes you wonder why new DCC Ready ones are £200+ and many locos are £150+

If they can do them for that it really makes you wonder why new DCC Ready ones are £200+ and many locos are £150+

That's the choice of the retailer, and they simply choose their margin for a particular product. It does not follow that the whole business can run on that same margin. :)

• RMweb Premium

And if they've been sitting on a shelf at a higher price for a while, it's sometimes better to get rid of older stock at a low margin to people like me who are tempted by "bargains" that the don't really need... :-D

• RMweb Premium

That's the choice of the retailer, and they simply choose their margin for a particular product. It does not follow that the whole business can run on that same margin. :)

Indeed. Retailers - and manufacturers - have to cover their fixed costs (staff, rent, business rates, keeping the lights on....)

The gross profit from a sale (i.e. sale price minus direct costs of the sale) has to cover all this. Oh, and ideally some profit for the owners too.

If a company for some reason (getting rid of slow-moving stock, promotion, whatever), lowers prices for some items significantly so their gross profit is much smaller than usual, it doesn't mean that they are ripping people off by charging more the rest of the time. 

Of course this has to be distinguished from claiming unrealistically high full prices and always selling things at a "discount".

• RMweb Premium

And if they've been sitting on a shelf at a higher price for a while, it's sometimes better to get rid of older stock at a low margin to people like me who are tempted by "bargains" that the don't really need... :-D

The other psychology - for which i am the No1 proven sucker - is that people buying the 'bargain' that they don't need, will then also look at what else they can add for their combined postage, and end up buying even more unneccessary plastic objects, at a far higher margin, that again they didn't need.

I think I must have funded a certain traders move from Liverpool to a spanking new Widnes warehouse on the basis that, if I'm paying £3 for postage, I may as well fill my order :yes:

• RMweb Premium

London Transport Museum in Covent Garden today had the NEW Bachmann Thompson Coaches for £30.50. Got to be a mistake.

I can confirm that they're still there and available at £30.50. I snaffled six, so many thanks Mike for the tip off.

Andy

Our friends in Widnes are selling Hornby Railroad R3499 Class 49xx 6947 Helmington Hall in BR green with late crest for £57+£4pp rrp £94.99.

Model Rail magazine gave it 92% in its review!

http://www.hattons.co.uk/164412/Hornby_R3499_Class_49xx_4_6_0_6947_Helmingham_Hall_in_BR_Green_with_late_crest_Railroad_Rang/StockDetail.aspx

• RMweb Premium

Halfords have a 4 for the price of 3 in their body repair section.

That includes the popular spray primer...... I needed two cans of white and one of grey, so it was rude not to take advantage.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived