Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Those decoder are cheap. A re-blow to my choice of sound supplier is £18, making a total of £93. Still £12 cheaper than buying direct from my choice of sound supplier. Getting it done at a show would mean no postage costs as well.

Quote truncated.

I like you have, i suspect, the same preferred supplier, and would take the same route.

If that is not an option for Chris, he should consider whose sound files are loaded before determining whether the eye beholds a bargain perhaps?

I have one kicking around somewhere.  They sometimes appear on eBay for similar prices.

I would say if anyone is thinking about buying one, check for compatibility with the version of Windows, seem to recall it will not work with Windows XP or newer.

• RMweb Gold

Transport Models in Preston has a big sale on.

25% off Hornby, Bachmann & Farish wagons, coaches & buildings

30% off Oxford vehicles

Loads more bargains in store

Popped in as I was passing, came out with a few things! Thanks for the heads up!

• RMweb Premium

I have one kicking around somewhere.  They sometimes appear on eBay for similar prices.

I would say if anyone is thinking about buying one, check for compatibility with the version of Windows, seem to recall it will not work with Windows XP or newer.

Raildriver claims good compatability:

http://raildriver.com/support/

Plenty of downloads for different games:

http://raildriver.com/support/downloads.php

Keith

For me, it would depend on whose sounds were loaded to them.

Scograil are in the same building as Coastal DCC and work closely together. Some of the chips do say they are loaded with Coastal DCC sound files, but it's worth giving them a call to confirm.

Again no connection just a customer...

It's kind of my local model shop for when I am back in the UK and honestly compared to some of the model shops in NL always a pleasure to visit.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Laisdcc nem652 4 function decoders are currently £7.78 with free postage on aliexpress. I've never used them before but bought two to test them out.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/With-Built-In-8-pin-NMRA-NEM652-plug-DCC-LOCO-DECODER-WITH-4-FUNCTION-FOR-MODEL/1199970_2048977153.html

I've bought 2 of them 21 pin versions to try out in a couple of Bachmann 37s, got them off eBay as it saved me opening an alibaba account, the 21 pin is £9.00ish on there from a UK supplier, just search laisdcc, you can also get the stay alive capacitor from them too for £3.99 but I got the equivelant one from maplin for 59p

Guest royal signals

Hi, Big Jim said he got some stay alive capacitors from Maplins for 59p, but what spec? Farads & Volts,

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Big Jim said he got some stay alive capacitors from Maplins for 59p, but what spec? Farads & Volts,

I know/understand nothing about electrics but the description for the Lais capacitors on eBay says "470 uF 16V" so that's what I bought from maplin

• RMweb Premium

I know/understand nothing about electrics but the description for the Lais capacitors on eBay says "470 uF 16V" so that's what I bought from maplin

Are you sure you got the value right? 470 μF seems a bit on the low side.

I would have expected at least 4700 μF and the 16v rating is also a bit on the low side as you can get more than that out of the rectifier on the DCC decoder, IMHO 25 volt would have been a better choice.

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure you got the value right? 470 μF seems a bit on the low side.

I would have expected at least 4700 μF and the 16v rating is also a bit on the low side as you can get more than that out of the rectifier on the DCC decoder, IMHO 25 volt would have been a better choice.

Cheers

Keith

your probably right, as i say ive no idea what im after, another look at the listing (on full fat ebay, not the mobile version) shows its "ideal for N gauge/TT"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laisdcc-DCC-decoder-Stay-Alive-kit-Ideal-for-N-or-TT-Gauge-New-UK-Stock-/201606977058?hash=item2ef0b65622:g:bxkAAOSwZ1lWe9SS

still ive only wasted 59p, not £4, i may see if maplin have the one you suggested and give it a whirl, i probably dont really need it but as the wires are present and its a cheap mod its worth a try

'Summer Madness' sale at the Hobby Shop, Faversham.

Too many to list, but includes selected Bachmann, Hornby and foreign locomotives etc, DCC Concepts items and W.Britain war games figures.

Noteable railway items include:

Bachmann Green 2-EPB @ £120

Bachmann 0-6-0T 1F and 3F @ £50

Bachmann 2-6-2T 4539 GW livery @ £50

Bachmann 08 Green 13287 @ £50

Bachmann 08818 blue @ £55

Hornby 4287 e/c @ £75.

Can i make a polite request of putting a link into the post where possible, just makes it that bit easier and quicker to find the bargains.

Thank you :-)

You mean like this?

http://www.hobb-e-mail.com/summer-madness.html

It's so easy anyone could do it, even if the OP hadn't :)

• RMweb Premium

Came across this one at Hattons;

Gloucester City Pullman Train Set

https://www.ehattons.com/69613/Hornby_R1177_Gloucester_City_Pullman_Train_Set_with_Class_8_4_6_2_71000_Duke_of_Gloucester_i/StockDetail.aspx

Seems pretty good getting a Railroad Duke of Gloucester, and 3 Railroad Pullmans for £75!

Interesting. This is the one where the Amazon price hit £75 briefly in January. I assumed it was just a 'feature' of their pricing algorithms. Maybe not?

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. This is the one where the Amazon price hit £75 briefly in January. I assumed it was just a 'feature' of their pricing algorithms. Maybe not?

I was lucky and bought the set for £75 in January

Used

http://camelcamelcamel.com/

Can be very helpful to see price graphs at Amazon!

• RMweb Premium

Picked up a copy of this book from TheWorks on Saturday, reduced from £7 (currently £16-59 on Amazon):

http://www.theworks.co.uk/p/transport-books/trains-to-the-trenches/9781781313664

I fancied a copy some weeks ago, when it was £7, but hesitated (I guess I'm just a tight ar5e).  £3-50 was a steal though - try your local store - you might be lucky.

HTH

Brian

I hesitate to post here as some will argue about whether bargains or not... but might be of use to some?

Holidaying in Dorset and, as well as visiting the well known shops in Poole area (both excellent BTW), stumbled across a little arts shop in Dorchester with a few model trains in the window (directly opposite the entrance to the Tutankhamen museum on the high st).  On entering it was apparent they had more than a few Hornby locos - in fact they carried a fairly decent stock of Hornby, Bachmann and Peco.  It appeared everything was marked at RRP but the reason for listing here was that a lot of the stock was 5 or more years old and marked at the RRP for when released.  Such prices now seem rather good.  As a 1980-present modeller I didn't notice too much about steam era stock suffice to say there was a reasonable amount - what I did notice was at least 2 Hornby Clans BNIB around £140 mark (I've heard say they are hard to find these days?).  Diesel wise there were at least 2 Bach 47035's at ~£75, together with a 37428 in RF Petrol livery at ~£75, + blue sound fitted 20 at (I think) £130-140, plus a lot more.  If you go, spend some time scouting around the shop as the stock is in at least 4 different places in shop including stacks up to the high ceiling... you may also want to ask for the assistant to open the cabinets as much of the stock isn't accessible to see what is, let alone prices!  Plenty of coaches and a few wagons and sets too.  Could be a place to find that item you meant to buy years back but can't find these days, at reasonable price?  There were even some stock (new) in boxes preceding the previous design of Bach box!!

Hope of use to someone.  Have to say I wonder how places like this turn a profit holding stock for so long but good they survive.

M

I came away with a Hornby 08 EWS for £75 which seems a steal alongside prices on newly released 08s (which they also carried).

• RMweb Gold

I hesitate to post here as some will argue about whether bargains or not... but might be of use to some?

Holidaying in Dorset and, as well as visiting the well known shops in Poole area (both excellent BTW), stumbled across a little arts shop in Dorchester with a few model trains in the window (directly opposite the entrance to the Tutankhamen museum on the high st).  On entering it was apparent they had more than a few Hornby locos - in fact they carried a fairly decent stock of Hornby, Bachmann and Peco.  It appeared everything was marked at RRP but the reason for listing here was that a lot of the stock was 5 or more years old and marked at the RRP for when released.  Such prices now seem rather good.  As a 1980-present modeller I didn't notice too much about steam era stock suffice to say there was a reasonable amount - what I did notice was at least 2 Hornby Clans BNIB around £140 mark (I've heard say they are hard to find these days?).  Diesel wise there were at least 2 Bach 47035's at ~£75, together with a 37428 in RF Petrol livery at ~£75, + blue sound fitted 20 at (I think) £130-140, plus a lot more.  If you go, spend some time scouting around the shop as the stock is in at least 4 different places in shop including stacks up to the high ceiling... you may also want to ask for the assistant to open the cabinets as much of the stock isn't accessible to see what is, let alone prices!  Plenty of coaches and a few wagons and sets too.  Could be a place to find that item you meant to buy years back but can't find these days, at reasonable price?  There were even some stock (new) in boxes preceding the previous design of Bach box!!

Hope of use to someone.  Have to say I wonder how places like this turn a profit holding stock for so long but good they survive.

M

I came away with a Hornby 08 EWS for £75 which seems a steal alongside prices on newly released 08s (which they also carried).

I remember a couple of shops that never updated their prices (back in the 60's and 70's) - one in Bridport and one in Taunton - made my pocket money go a lot further.

Cheers,

Aidan

PS would the shop be Frank Herring and Sons?

• RMweb Gold

I recall a shop in the North West, closed it's doors one day in the c1982.

re-opened it's doors c1993 and commenced to re-trade with it's 'new' old stock...and it's shelves weren't empty, but soon were.

I remember a couple of shops that never updated their prices (back in the 60's and 70's) - one in Bridport and one in Taunton - made my pocket money go a lot further.

Cheers,

Aidan

PS would the shop be Frank Herring and Sons?

yes I think it is frank herrings - didn't notice when in but the price label on the box says that.

M

Archived