Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• RMweb Gold

These Corgi playsets - including a Nissen hut with the corrugations running horizontally and an overscale (for 4mm) Landrover and an underscale tank are currently in Poundland* for - yes - £1 -https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corgi-Toys-TY66098U-Military-Playset/dp/B00FWTAWIO

I have no idea whether they are of interest to anyone, but at least they could be construed as a bargain! They could be used to distract a young person from abusing your models as the lad is treating the tank. (See the bottom picture)

* edit Eastbourne

edit 2  I may have missed a higher price tag. I assumed everything in Poundland was £1 - Please see below. #4535

Aldi have a load of tools in again, lots of things like socket sets, spanners, drills and a rather good comprehensive drill, screwdriver assortment box.

Lidl have some useful work lights that are rechargable, or via 12v cigarette lighter socket or iirc mains too. Magnetic and led, probably useful for under baseboards etc.

Incidentally, my 33 and 47 chassis arrived. Both look ok, 47 has old wheels that will go in the bin probably. The 33 has silver wheels. Both will get some p4 wheels soon.

Just been to A. Oakes and they certainly have some good buys. Bagged a BR Blue Inspection saloon for £30 as advertised. They still had a few left earlier inc Maroon but spotted and resisted the temptation of

A S/H Bachmann Blue Cl 25 chipped at £55

A S/H Bachmann Cl 47 in TTG at £50

and

For today only, a Dynamis Pro-box for £57!

Loads more stuff there both new and S/H, well worth a look!

Cheers for the tips!

These Corgi playsets - including a Nissen hut with the corrugations running horizontally and an overscale (for 4mm) Landrover and an underscale tank are currently in Poundland for - yes - £1 -https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corgi-Toys-TY66098U-Military-Playset/dp/B00FWTAWIO

I have no idea whether they are of interest to anyone, but at least they could be construed as a bargain! They could be used to distract a young person from abusing your models as the lad is treating the tank. (See the bottom picture)

I noticed this the other week along with the farm set in my local Poundland. They were advertised as £5 though in the 'specials section' with the other items that aren't £1 .

I noticed this the other week along with the farm set in my local Poundland. They were advertised as £5 though in the 'specials section' with the other items that aren't £1 .

Ah, good point. Yes, it's worth remembering that not everything in Poundland is £1 these days.

Pretty much anything on the main shelves still is just 100p, and that undoubtedly includes stuff of interest to us modellers - there are toy "Poundland" artics, which could probably be made acceptable with a little work, various Matchbox cars, ditto (Hot Wheels are probably a bit too lairy to be realistic, but they have those too!), and a whole lot of general hardware which could come in handy. There's a whole range of "Tommy Walsh" branded DIY stuff, for instance, including hinges and locking bolts, which might be useful for modular or foldaway baseboard construction.

But back to the point - yes, there's a lot of "special stuff" for £3, £5 and even £10. In the last category, I've seen big sets of nasty-looking Lego clones, for instance, but at a pricepoint you wouldn't normally associate with Poundland.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, good point. Yes, it's worth remembering that not everything in Poundland is £1 these days.

Pretty much anything on the main shelves still is just 100p, and that undoubtedly includes stuff of interest to us modellers - there are toy "Poundland" artics, which could probably be made acceptable with a little work, various Matchbox cars, ditto (Hot Wheels are probably a bit too lairy to be realistic, but they have those too!), and a whole lot of general hardware which could come in handy. There's a whole range of "Tommy Walsh" branded DIY stuff, for instance, including hinges and locking bolts, which might be useful for modular or foldaway baseboard construction.

But back to the point - yes, there's a lot of "special stuff" for £3, £5 and even £10. In the last category, I've seen big sets of nasty-looking Lego clones, for instance, but at a pricepoint you wouldn't normally associate with Poundland.

What, £1.50?!  

I've a couple of similar cheap lorries that have been sat around for ages, I recently got around to trying to do something with them, the (Mercedes) tractor units look ok with a bit of work, lights painted, etc, the trailers are still a bit plasticky.  What I really need is some realistic replacement wheels - any suggestions (preferably bargainous, otherwise at least realistic!)?

Just got back from A Oakes and they haven't sold much that is listed on the web.

One Bachmann inspection saloon in br blue and grey For £30. and one in maroon £35.

Two sets of the Bachmann br blue and grey coach packs at £45 per set.

The Shakespeare's train pack has been split and they are selling the coaches for £35.

About fifteen Hornby steam locos at half price. See web page for the list and prices.

http://www.aoakesmodeltrains.co.uk/

The second hand stock has grown loads and they are selling some second hand coaches for just £10.

Just got back from A Oakes and they haven't sold much that is listed on the web.

Problem is that we can't all get there!  I'd be more than happy to pay £30 plus postage costs for a blue inspection coach. I have just phoned and they aren't prepared to do mail order despite the fact that I would be willing to pay the extra costs. 

• RMweb Gold

Problem is that we can't all get there!  I'd be more than happy to pay £30 plus postage costs for a blue inspection coach. I have just phoned and they aren't prepared to do mail order despite the fact that I would be willing to pay the extra costs. 

Funnily enough I was going to do the same thing but you've saved me a call.

One Bachmann inspection saloon in br blue and grey For £30. and one in maroon £35.

Two sets of the Bachmann br blue and grey coach packs at £45 per set.

The Shakespeare's train pack has been split and they are selling the coaches for £35.

About fifteen Hornby steam locos at half price. See web page for the list and prices.

The second hand stock has grown loads and they are selling some second hand coaches for just £10.

B@gger

Had planned to go today, as its my only day off until next Thursday, but family problems intervened...

Never been to Oakes, but we are blessed to have Modellers Mecca and Tennents nearby....

• RMweb Gold

It is possible that I missed a higher price ticket - if that's the case - apologies! I won't be back there for a time so I can't check.

The Tommy Walsh range is decent enough stuff. I bought a pack of four small poly-bottle super-glues - they work fine. They do a pack of super-glue in six/eight? metal tubes, but they are very hard to control once open, I find. I use 'his' PVA for jobs where a more liquid version works better - adding to filler or sealing. His filler is OK too - but then almost any filler works with a touch of PVA!

Needing some thread for rigging, I found some in our local upholstery & soft-furnishings shop, having failed to find a decent thickness in the craft and needlework shops. It makes sense - they are working with thicker fabrics.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry guys in the future I will only post bargains that's accessible to all.

There are many local bargains that aren't accessible to all.

I don't see that as a problem. If I can't get there I'm not going to moan about it to spoil it for others who may.

Oakes' website clearly states personal callers only, so I didn't even think about phoning.

Keep on posting local bargains.

Cheers,

Mick

There are many local bargains that aren't accessible to all.

I don't see that as a problem. If I can't get there I'm not going to moan about it to spoil it for others who may.

Oakes' website clearly states personal callers only, so I didn't even think about phoning.

Cheers,

Mick

As Mick says. whilst local and thus not going to be of use to most, others might not be aware the shop email even exists and make the trip to pick up a bargain.

I've yet to come across many bargains in my local antics, though sometimes the books are at decent prices.

I quite often find myself stuck in Birmingham for something to do, one of those weekends has surely got to align with an Oakes drop in sale.

Mr Oakes informed me that there will be three more weekends of sales.

Next week will be 50% off some different items so keep an eye on there web site.

It normally gets updated on a Wednesday or Thursday.

Maybe contact one of the members that are going and sort out something where they pick it up and post to you

Cheers,

Mick

Fine But at the top right hand side of their web page. There is a box picture of a receptionist with a telephone headset on with the words all are prices subject to vat and CARRAGE! If it's collection only why charge carrage! And why have a receptionist if you don't do mail order

A lot of the time with big bargains it is one purchase per customer.

I was going by the fact that people that had been there were saying that they got one of these two of them etc so was guessing it didn't apply more a case of fill your boots

A lot of the time with big bargains it is one purchase per customer.

At A Oakes they put a sign up saying one per family. They do get some people spoiling it for others by bringing there other half and kids then passing trains to each other and then going to the counter as if they are not together.

I've was at one of the Saturday sales last year and one lady picked up four Bachmann DMU sets then walked to another part of the shop to give to her husband to sort out and returned with the two they did not want!

They do some times let you have a loco and a coach or two.

A couple of years ago they was selling the Hornby Brighton Bell coaches for £15 each and they would let you have three to make up the set.

Mr Oakes has pointed out to me the reason he has the 50% and 70% off sales is to give a little back to his customers.

Fine But at the top right hand side of their web page. There is a box picture of a receptionist with a telephone headset on with the words all are prices subject to vat and CARRAGE! If it's collection only why charge carrage! And why have a receptionist if you don't do mail order

They did do mail order but had a lot of problems with the post.

I will pop into the shop next week and point out your observations to Mr Oakes and see if he can update the layout of the web page to amend this.

Archived