Dapol 45xx

devondynosoar118

Posted 16 July 2011 - 13:23

I am becoming annoyed with this locos propensity to get stuck on the insulation gaps at points. No matter how clean the wheels and pick ups are I can't get faultless performance out of it. Loco runs on dcc with CT75 chip. It has excellent slow running at a scale walking pace and otherwise is a great model. Looking at the trailing truck with it's pickups it occurred to me that something similar added to the other pony truck or adding driving wheel pickups will solve the problem. All my track is code 55 fine scale so I have no tight radius corners to worry about.

Has anyone done a similar conversion or is there an aftermarket chassis available?

New site!http://southhamsrailways.co.uk/

Posted 16 July 2011 - 13:23

I am becoming annoyed with this locos propensity to get stuck on the insulation gaps at points. No matter how clean the wheels and pick ups are I can't get faultless performance out of it. Loco runs on dcc with CT75 chip. It has excellent slow running at a scale walking pace and otherwise is a great model. Looking at the trailing truck with it's pickups it occurred to me that something similar added to the other pony truck or adding driving wheel pickups will solve the problem. All my track is code 55 fine scale so I have no tight radius corners to worry about.

Has anyone done a similar conversion or is there an aftermarket chassis available?

New site!http://southhamsrailways.co.uk/

Yes, David Eveleigh does an etched replacement chassis for this loco. I assume you are talking about a 2FS cionversion here (this is after all the 2mm Finescale forum).

Chris

Thanks chaps! I came here because I know this is a popular loco for 2mm conversions and hoped someone might have a few ideas. I am working in "improved N" rather than 2FS, one day I will finally pluck up the courage to build track! Will look at the chassis replacement and Dapol spares dept first. Will put up a post when work starts. Thank you for responses!

Thanks chaps! I came here because I know this is a popular loco for 2mm conversions and hoped someone might have a few ideas. I am working in "improved N" rather than 2FS, one day I will finally pluck up the courage to build track! Will look at the chassis replacement and Dapol spares dept first. Will put up a post when work starts. Thank you for responses!

I trust you've heard of easitrac? Not much building track; just threading the rail through the chairs. Turnouts are a bit more complicated, but you can get them built for you. You should give it a try.

Archived