Atso-Cad Models

Atso

The Pigeon Van is now with the casters with an approximate delivery date of mid November. For those wishing to pre-order you will need to be a little more patient while we design Atso Cad's new web site. We expect the web site to be live by mid October however, this will depend on the delivery date of the first cast samples as we would like to include pictures of a completed kit on the site.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've read somewhere that you were working on a D49. Any updates on it?

Tim

Goodness me, that was awhile ago! The D49 was a prototype I had printed to test some new ideas regarding the 3D printing techniques. To be honests it was a quick study model only and was never intended for production (designed long before I thought of setting up a business).

Sorry to disappoint but this one will not be done for the forseeable future at least.

On a more positive note, I have been informed that the test castings for the pigeon van should be with me by the end of next week. This represents the final checking phase before production commences!!! :sungum:

• 1 month later...

Atso, any progress reports on the pigeon van?

Hi,

I'm currently waiting for the casters to finish the production batch - sorry it looks like the original mid November delivery date is not going to be met though... At present I've built the test casting and am in the process of painting it (pictures to follow), also in the works are the instructions for the kit.

Hi,

I'm currently waiting for the casters to finish the production batch - sorry it looks like the original mid November delivery date is not going to be met though... At present I've built the test casting and am in the process of painting it (pictures to follow), also in the works are the instructions for the kit.

No hassles to me, sounds like we are getting close though.

Will great to see pictures though.

Hi all, some bad news I'm afraid.

I've just got off the phone to the casters. They seems to have been a problem producing the chassis unit as the mould was not properly put together causing a distortion which makes it impossible to assemble the model. The casters are recasting this component as we speak but the planned release date has now slipped. Most likely the pigeon van will be available from mid Janurary.

Sorry if this causes any disappointment.

• 2 months later...

Hi millerhillboy,

I've finally got all the castings however some of them didn't come out well! This appears to be limited to the coupling pockets so an alternative has been sourced (rather than waiting another four months for new ones to be cast!). Hopefully these should be with me in a couple of weeks which gives me time to finish writing the instructions.

I've not been impressed by the turnaround time for this kit so will be looking to indentify other manufacturing methods for future kits, this will mean the current production schedule will be changed...

Watch this space (hopefully not for too much longer!!!!)

Hi millerhillboy,

I've finally got all the castings however some of them didn't come out well! This appears to be limited to the coupling pockets so an alternative has been sourced (rather than waiting another four months for new ones to be cast!). Hopefully these should be with me in a couple of weeks which gives me time to finish writing the instructions.

I've not been impressed by the turnaround time for this kit so will be looking to indentify other manufacturing methods for future kits, this will mean the current production schedule will be changed...

Watch this space (hopefully not for too much longer!!!!)

Cheers Steve

No hassles here, not (or at least hopeully not) nipping your head here. Totally appreciate this is a bit of a learning curve for you so no expectations really. It was more really to let you know that there is demand for this out there.

Keep us posted and good luck

Craig

• 1 month later...

I am please to announce that a limited number of the Dia. 120 Full Brake kits are now available for release. These have been shipped to County Rolling Stock for sale at Alexandra Palace tomorrow and Sunday.

The remaining kits will be made available on our website within the next two weeks.

I will be reassessing our planned releases as new production methods have become available which will allow us to directly control the manufacturing process. Therefore please watch this space for further updates!

Thank you to everyone who has supported this project, it has been a long haul getting this kit to market and I have learnt a lot so that hopefully the next release will not suffer the same problems.

Just before signing off, here are some pictures:

post-943-0-55979900-1332519370.jpg

post-943-0-41713900-1332519377.jpg

post-943-0-64741400-1332519385.jpg

Hi guys and thanks for the comments.

millerhillboy,

The kit requires some Graham Farish coach wheels, glazing, paint, transfers and glue to complete.

Karhedron,

GWR isn't my strong point at present, anything specific you have in mind?

I have been informed by Richard of County Rolling Stock that the initial batch of Pigeon Vans sold out today at Ally Pally with 70% of them sold in the first two hours!

Therefore, another batch will be made available through County Rolling Stock tomorrow. However, please note that these will not arrive until about 1pm as this is the earliest I will be able to deliver them.

Thank you to everyone who has supported this venture and for those who have already purchased the pigeon van, I hope that you enjoy building the kit!

Karhedron,

GWR isn't my strong point at present, anything specific you have in mind?

Assuming you are looking at something similar (a longish 4-wheel vehicle) then both the Siphon C or Friut D would make good choices. Numerous and long-lived they are handsome vehicles. The Fruit Ds in particular were still being built after nationalisation IIRC and Dapol seem to have no plan to shrink their 00 version.

Hi guys and thanks for the comments.

millerhillboy,

The kit requires some Graham Farish coach wheels, glazing, paint, transfers and glue to complete.

Good news, pretty easy to sort that lot.

Sounds like initial sales are going well (well done and deserved good news for you), is this liable to affect the number of kits that make it to your website?

Assuming you are looking at something similar (a longish 4-wheel vehicle) then both the Siphon C or Friut D would make good choices. Numerous and long-lived they are handsome vehicles. The Fruit Ds in particular were still being built after nationalisation IIRC and Dapol seem to have no plan to shrink their 00 version.

Marsh do the fruit D. A python might be another one. There were a fair range of GWR wagons with odd wheelbases (bloater ?)

Archived