Romford wheels for Hornby 14xx

Hi again

Having seen statements such as " it is relatively trivial to replace the wheels with Romfords (20 or 21mm IIRC)" on RMWeb My linkI am about to order replacement Romford drivers for a Hornby 14XX.

Never having done this before I would benefit from some advice.

Is it so trivial that I simply take off the old wheels and do a straight replacement push fit on to the Hornby axle?

Will the Hornby connecting rods fit the Romford wheels?

I don't need to worry about the engine wheel pickups as this will be dealt with by pickups and a decoder in the autocoach with 2 wires then running to the engine from the autocoach.

Any advice from those more experienced would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Keith

Romford axles are usually square ended for automatic quartering and the wheels designed to fit these. I think you need to replace the axles as well as the wheels and because the original axles are 1/8" the gear wheel can fit onto the new axle ok.

Thanks for that Craigwelsh. One more thing -

the connecting rods are held in position by pushfit pins on the Hornby wheels. Do the same pins and rod fit in the same way to Romford wheels or will I need Romford con rods?

Thanks

Keith

.....the connecting rods are held in position by pushfit pins on the Hornby wheels. Do the same pins and rod fit in the same way to Romford wheels or will I need Romford con rods?

If you're using Romford wheels, then you should use Romford/Jackson/Markits crankpins. The Hornby pins would not fit cleanly in Romford drivers.

You can probably get away with using the original coupling rods, but as their holes are a lot bigger than the diameter of the crankpins, you should then use Romford/Jackson/Markits crankpin bushes to act as bearings for the rods, plus washers to retain the rods once fitted.

Horsetan

You said "You can probably get away with using the original coupling rods". From your use of probably I guess you don't think its a good idea. I cannot find replacement coupling rods in the Markits Romford catalogue. Could you recommend a source?

Thanks

Keith

.... From your use of probably I guess you don't think its a good idea. I cannot find replacement coupling rods in the Markits Romford catalogue. Could you recommend a source?

Alan Gibson Workshop produces etched coupling rods for various wheelbases, including the 14xx (ref. 4M75)

You will have to solder the layers together, though.... 'tis only two layers per side, so should not be difficult.

Download a copy of the catalogue here and turn to page 15.

Archived