Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

If you could start again....

114 members have voted

1. 1. Would you do things....

• More or less the same
    • Different scale
    • Different era
    • I'd spend it on chips and beer

What do you mean, start again? I'm having enough trouble starting the first time.

I hear ya... I am now on my 5th attempt at starting a layout!

However, if I were to restart from scratch, I would probably do a WR transition layout... not sure if I would stick to OO or go EM... regardless, I would not use code 100 again.

I would probably replace my NSE loco collection however... have a soft spot for those 50's...

My biggest problem is that i'm always starting again!

TOO often I have got a track layout I like, 2 or 3 engines, 6 or 7 items of rolling stock and then my head is turned by a new release, another layout or a photo that shouts wow. If I could time travel back 10 years and start again I would stick to somewhere near my current plan and would hopefully have a half completed layout by now rather than a board, some track and one great idea!

Sorry guys but if the worst happened and my layout was destroyed or we moved house or whatever that would be

the end of my modelling, am a pensioner now and have a nice 8ft x 10ft layout with max 10 locos built up over

the last eight years, have modelled most of my life and had several layouts but could never achieve the standards

of the layouts seen on here. Dont think I could start another layout Guess Ive just run out of steam!!!!

I wouldn't have bought so many of those Lima Diesels. They now look awfull against todays offerings and wont raise much in re-sale value.dry.gif

ditto!!! Anyone want 30 lima class 47's??????? So i can buy 6-8 new ones?

Today it's been one of those days where you think 'this isn't going to work'. I just get bored the minute I've actually completed a stage of the layout build!

I'm getting really tempted to sell up and go HO scale European, with DCC control and loads of catenary. Just to have a really good tail chasing layout that might keep me busy in terms of scenery and watching the trains go by.

If you want loads of OO stock at a reasonable price, let me know - I'm not even joking....

I've voted to change scale.... probably go up from 4mm to 7mm............ THAT way, my failing eyesight wouldn't be a problem.

If fiscal considerations were not an issue, I'd probably submit to having my DNA altered to remove the 'perfectionist gene' that seems to hinder my attempts at anything. :angry:

Cheers

Jan

• 2 months later...

If I lost my collection, then I would narrow down the amount of ideas that I start on, and update some of my modified short Hornby mark3's, if the insurance payout makes it viable.

ditto!!! Anyone want 30 lima class 47's??????? So i can buy 6-8 new ones?

You could try and flog them on ebay, they seem to fetch a good price - but any Scotrail liveried 47/7's and I might be interested.

If I was starting again now, I think I might do something simpler - perhaps a tramway layout where essentially you only 'need' one completed model. I doubt I could muster the strength or the passion to build repeats of all my wagons.

If I was starting again at age 18, I wouldn't model anything - instead I'd work like stink, earn a bundle and have a house and bank balance big enough to build/have built the layout of my dreams when I took early retirement,

If I were to start again as a 10 year old with train set, I'd go N gauge from the start (like my brother did) but be in the same place, just with more stock and not feeling the need to keep 00 stock due to pestering it as christmas presents from family and hardly running it!

If it was all stolen tomorrow I'd be going blue diesel or perhaps early BR instead of late LMS, get a mixture of steam and diesel

I think I might have gone EM and pre-grouping, probably the Caledonian.

However that is with the benefit of hindsight. I have found that my tastes change. I am researching an railway event in that era and the more I look at what was the Golden Age of rail, the more it fascinates me

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm going to have to start again because I forgot to make it easily dismantleable. So when I move, down it comes, and then I have to try and recover what I can.

Oh well, next time it will be better. But different. :)

I've not stayed in the same house more than 2 years, but now me and the wife have settled down, the house is nearly sorted so I am starting to think thoughts about a layout. It will still be portable though, I've made that mistake too many times before,

• RMweb Gold

I think the only change would be to go from OO Code 100 to Code 75. At the time I really got going on my layout I had so many variations of wheelsets that I was really unsure about Code 75.

With so much good stuff avaible in the past few years I'd settle for only having rolling stock that will cope with Code 75 and put the rest on eBay or in a cabinet. I know a lot of people don't like OO but I can't really see myself doing P4/EM etc and can live with OO.

If I was starting again today and I was only 19, railways would be the last thing I'de be getting pashionate about...

I know where you're coming from Coach, I really do, but I think this one reads better if you insert 'today's' thus:

"If I was starting again today and I was only 19, today's railways would be the last thing I'd be getting passionate about..."

Guest dilbert

I had a colleague a few years back when having bought a book would read the last couple of chapters first and then decide whether to read the book from the prologue or chapter 1 (which ever came first).

When asked what he thought of 'The Foresight Saga' he replied, "dunno, haven't read it yet"... dilbert

I'd stick with OO, but I would have waited a few years before starting collecting! Pre-super detail models rarely get an outing on my layout these days. Maybe that will change in the future as I get the skills to update them but many of them aren't relevant to my region or are too far off the mark.

I also wouldn't have joined the Hornby club - I have so many little 0-4-0s that I don't know what to do with and the magazine was never too good.

I'd like to say I'd have tried to build something scenic, or as mentioned in another thread, made sure I finished the loft insulation, but really, I'd never have had enough money.

My collection is really split into

1. Stock for my future layout that could realistically be built (GWR BLT stuff for Moretonhampstead)

2. Stock that I'm really interested in and would feature in my perfect layout, but I lack the time, space and money to build (Mainline Southern stuff)

3. Stock that looks nice or has sentimental value

I'm not sure that would change if I started again

My introduction to railways through Thomas the tank means that even if I regret buying something, it still has some sentimental value as all the stock has some personality, but I suppose if I sold these things I could have enough money to convert the rest to DCC! I also don't want to offend anyone who originally bought me the stock in question.

Its easy to look back isn't it...

Crivvens! That last post's got me feeling like a right heartless b*****, Torn!

I don't think there's a single item of rolling stock left in my fleet that hails from my first two decades in modelling, let alone anything that's been - dare I say - given as a gift (except US outline stuff that the in-laws send over from the States), that doesn't fit the era or period I'm focused on. That's really got me thinking!

Archived