rails of sheffield

david heath

Recent visit and excellent service.

Very impressed by the Emporium which is a very nice showcase of models to browse and drool over. Also like the ahem furniture to sit on down the middle of the shop.  Really liked it and will visit again.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just wanted to say I've had some very good service from Rails.  Bought a Dapol 22 from them,  arrived very well packed as I've always found with Rails.  (Runs very well even straight out of the box). 

The extra bit of service was that when I wanted to order it I knew I then was going to be away from home for a week. I wasn't sure if Rails could send the order on a date when I would be back, so e-mailed them and got an almost immediate reply that they could, I just needed to tell them on the "special requests" box when ordering on-line.

I did this and the item was dispatched on the requested day so that I would be at home when it was likely to arrive.

It's great that Rails dispatch systems allow them to delay sending a purchased item to help the customer.  Some  other on-line/mail order dealers say they can't  do this as their systems aren't geared up for it, so well done Rails.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...

Out of interest, how many people work at Rails?

I'm just wondering how many they have compared to Hatton's. Does anybody know please?

I had an idea that Hatton's had say 54ish, which is impressive. It might be different now. I've forgotten what their turnovers are from that James May program, but Rails seem quite an efficient company. Probably less staff per million £££ turned over I'm guessing.

Hatton's turn over is something similar to Bachmann's I think, but Hornby is ahead of them both still. 

Hi everyone,

I’ve always found Rails to be excellent to deal with. Got an excellent bundle deal of 66614 and FEA’s recently arrived next day well packed. In the past have had plenty of eBay purchases and on the odd occasion there was a slight mix up, a quick call to them had it resolved with a returns label to send back so the correct item could be sent. Really cannot expect more than that so would certainly recommend them to anyone.

cheers

Mark

• Agree 2

On 07/08/2019 at 18:11, How about a Dictator Loco Class? said:

Out of interest, how many people work at Rails?

I'm just wondering how many they have compared to Hatton's. Does anybody know please?

I had an idea that Hatton's had say 54ish, which is impressive. It might be different now. I've forgotten what their turnovers are from that James May program, but Rails seem quite an efficient company. Probably less staff per million £££ turned over I'm guessing.

Hatton's turn over is something similar to Bachmann's I think, but Hornby is ahead of them both still. 

Try watching:   

I used to shop exclusively at Rails spending a fair amount of my earnings on their new stock (and also their eBay stock until our government placed a 10% GST on overseas purchases).  Then one day they changed their search system software and while I am not a computer dummy I still cannot make heads or tails of their search returns.  During the trial,  the store requested feedback on the system and I responded in length explaining the issues and how the system seemed more complicated than their original setup.  The page loading was also an issue as when one highlighted a search return item and then went back to the search returns the viewer was taken back to the beginning of the search returns and then had to reload all previously viewed returns to be able to see more search returns.   With no changes to the new system I became frustrated and simply decided to deal exclusively with another store that has a more user friendly search setup.    A pity as I never had an actual shopping issue with the store,  just that stupid search software "improvement".  

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Very similar to my experience. I also provided feedback on their new search and website, but no response.

I put up with it, and buy from there occasionally, but tend to use the other mob more now - older website but I find it better to find what I'm looking for.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi everyone,

I’ve always found Rails to be excellent to deal with. Got an excellent bundle deal of 66614 and FEA’s recently arrived next day well packed. In the past have had plenty of eBay purchases and on the odd occasion there was a slight mix up, a quick call to them had it resolved with a returns label to send back so the correct item could be sent. Really cannot expect more than that so would certainly recommend them to anyone.

cheers

Mark

Have to agree. I have had several transactions with their Ebay team recently and apart from one minor cockup thery have been great.  The Emporium is a great visit if you are in Sheffield.  

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

I used to shop exclusively at Rails spending a fair amount of my earnings on their new stock (and also their eBay stock until our government placed a 10% GST on overseas purchases).  Then one day they changed their search system software and while I am not a computer dummy I still cannot make heads or tails of their search returns.  During the trial,  the store requested feedback on the system and I responded in length explaining the issues and how the system seemed more complicated than their original setup.  The page loading was also an issue as when one highlighted a search return item and then went back to the search returns the viewer was taken back to the beginning of the search returns and then had to reload all previously viewed returns to be able to see more search returns.   With no changes to the new system I became frustrated and simply decided to deal exclusively with another store that has a more user friendly search setup.    A pity as I never had an actual shopping issue with the store,  just that stupid search software "improvement".  

The website can be a bit clunky, to get round I just google rails of sheffield with what Im looking for after it and I get the results I need.

Edited by JiLo

• 3 weeks later...

Having lived literally up the road from Rails for 20-odd years I've been a regular visitor for most of that. They used to have a bit of a reputation for being miserable gits in the shop but thankfully that seems to not be the case any more and all the newer staff I've encountered have been wonderful. I've more recently bought a pre-owned Sentinel from their eBay shop which was delivered in no time and was exactly as the description stated. I also picked up one of their Peckett W4s on sale last weekend which unfortunately didn't run that well, but I called in on Tuesday lunchtime, was promptly seen to, 2 further locos tested and I left with a good runner, no issues at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have  dealt  with  Rails  via  Mail order  for  some  years  now, only  had  a  couple  of  promptly  dealt  with  issues,

I ordered another L&B   Manning   Wardle  last  week,  and  feeling  lazy ordered  decoder  fitting  service,  it  arrived  in  just  under  24 hours,  and  no  issues  with  the  loco.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

What's the best way to get in touch with the staff at RoS (apart from a phone call)??? Been trying to cancel a pre-order of mine since November 2019, but the cancellation isn't being approved. The model in question is due to be released this month and I don't want to be charged and posted. It will cost quite a bit to send it all the way back.

18 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

You can usually cancel an item online through your account but you have to give a reason. If you can’t do this ,give them a ring.

Tried that, but even when you do that, they need to confirm the cancellation. Listed the reason as well. Calling would be my last resort as international calls are expensive.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Tried that, but even when you do that, they need to confirm the cancellation. Listed the reason as well. Calling would be my last resort as international calls are expensive.

I had the same issue last year but try emailing them using the address below;

info@railsofsheffield.com

They reply fairly quickly thus you should be able to get this sorted.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

In that case, I suggest the following justification for buying it: "it would be cheaper to buy it than cancel it" :jester:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, JDW said:

In that case, I suggest the following justification for buying it: "it would be cheaper to buy it than cancel it" :jester:

Cannot fault that. It seems logical :D

7 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Or pm Oliver Rails.

Right! Forgot they had a presence online. Thank you.

8 hours ago, classy52 said:

I had the same issue last year but try emailing them using the address below;

info@railsofsheffield.com

They reply fairly quickly thus you should be able to get this sorted.

Will do, thanks. It's either a PM or an email (or both).

• Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

What's the best way to get in touch with the staff at RoS (apart from a phone call)??? Been trying to cancel a pre-order of mine since November 2019, but the cancellation isn't being approved. The model in question is due to be released this month and I don't want to be charged and posted. It will cost quite a bit to send it all the way back.

Rails have been having significant delays in handling pre orders and new orders, since November. It was reported on this forum that members had had to contact Rails about long delays in processing their SECR van orders, and they reported that Rails advised they had problems due to the volume of product and staff sickness. Unfortunately this has continued into December and on into January, probably compounded by the large amount of new stock coming in from Bachmann and Hornby. I had several pre orders that remained unprocessed for more than a working week after arrival, and I contacted Rails by phone to find out whether my account was working. It turned out that the problem was they were having difficulty handling the volume of new deliveries, so were not starting the pre order fulfilment for several days. Unfortunately they have not posted this info to their Facebook site or their website, so you only find out by phoning them. So in your case I suspect they have not got around to processing order cancellations.  I also used their contact Rails e-mail system and didn't get a response, so you may find that route doesn't give a result. Unfortunately not the way I would expect a retailer who aspires to customer votes for retail awards to behave. The delay in processing orders is not the problem, it's the failure to advise customers that you're having difficulties over an extended period of time.

Edited by rembrow
spelling
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I pre-ordered a Rocket soon after the announcement. No response apparent from the website, and no email conformation or sight of it on my account yesterday. I did contact them the day before via the website, but have not (yet) received a reply. I thereforder went back to the website last night, and ordered (another) one (note - ordered not pre-ordered), including a note in the comments box about the previous pre-order. Everything tickety-boo; it appeared rapidly into my account, and I've had a conformation email.

Always had good experience with Rails, no gripes about this. Presumably it is a glitch in the pre-order mechanism, or simply an overload of customer pre-orders.

Stewart

My only experience of Rails was to ring to ask if they had stock of some Roket Paper Glue, I work the other side of the city & wanted to call in on the way home but it's quite a detour, they confirmed they had stock & I said I would be in later, 30 minutes later I got a call back saying that somebody had just come in & bought all 20 bottles. I was thankful of the call, I'd not have been happy turning up after fighting the traffic :D

• Informative/Useful 1