rails of sheffield

david heath

6 hours ago, Phaeton said:

My only experience of Rails was to ring to ask if they had stock of some Roket Paper Glue, I work the other side of the city & wanted to call in on the way home but it's quite a detour, they confirmed they had stock & I said I would be in later, 30 minutes later I got a call back saying that somebody had just come in & bought all 20 bottles. I was thankful of the call, I'd not have been happy turning up after fighting the traffic :D

20 bottles? Are they drinking the stuff???!!!

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

They're not the fastest shippers.  It took two weeks for some (in stock) items to arrive the first time I ordered from them.  I have a current order with them that is still unshipped a week later.  In contrast, Kernow usually ship the same day.

Ring them up. Normally I get stuff shipped the day after ordering if I order late at night. 

The only time I had an issue was once when paypal had refused payment for some reason. A quick call to make card payment and all was well

• 2 months later...

Purchased a Bachmann Class 90 037 from Rails of Sheffield.

Followers of the Bachmann Class 90 thread will have read that these locos are prone to disconnected bogies as a result of fracture of mounts during transit.

Huge thanks Rails of Sheffield for taking the trouble to not only to fully check the loco before dispatch but they also placed specially cut shims of plastic around each bogie to stop any movement in transit.  Thanks guys - excellent customer service.

(I have no connection with Ros - just a very happy customer).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Big thank you to Rails for the speed and efficiency they handled my recent return. Latest Heljan 27, not opened until my birthday, where I found the fuel tanks stayed in the packaging as I lifted the rest of the loco out:wacko:. Very quick turn around from return to replacement, and it was evident the replacement had been unpacked and checked prior to dispatch. Other half whose order it was(under direction:biggrin_mini2:) was impressed. 

• 8 months later...

I decided to sell some of my stock this week to fund my dip into DCC and DCC sound.

Worked out what I would accept recognising that a shop will offer less than I could get through Ebay and waited for the offer back.

It was bang on the money for what I expected and today I made the trip over to Sheffield to drop off the items.  I could have sent them through the post but fancied some time out of the house and a couple of hours back and forth in the car over the Peak District sounded nice.

Dropped the items off, within 10 minutes the offer had been confirmed based on the condition of the goods and I was immediately able to then make some purchases off my credit.

A very smooth service and nice to see some friendly faces.

Yes I could have got more selling directly myself and I have done quite successfully previously, but I looked at the number of items and decided it would be easier selling in one lot than having to go through the effort of selling individually and I didn't want the constant back and forth to the post office at the moment.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I agree, I've recently sold a number of items via ebay and sometimes the palavar of wrapping and heading to the post office is just a bit too much and when that is factored in, just erodes the additional money made (I got very bored in this instance), so I can see why it's a more attractive offer. That coupled with the occasional issue that may be had with a minor part of the eBay community. 

Plus, a great way to mentally enjoy some time ( the drive and browsing) during fatiguing times. 

I once got put off by PE values at the other famous Sheffield shop, but I'm sure that others are a bit a fairer. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

I just wish they had the time to accurately describe EBay items.

There was a loco I was interested in , that appeared to be missing a bit, and I asked them as well about another bit I couldn’t see,

the answer “ apologies the loco is missing some detail parts “.

If that’s as much effort as you can put into the reply , I wouldn’t be bothering to bid . Probably down to lack of staff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another shout out to Rails of Sheffield: Ordered a pack of 12 IP Cobalts yesterday afternoon, dispatched at 16:16, was woken at 8:45 this morning by a delivery driver delivering said items.

Plus also big thanks to Warren for going the extra mile on customer service - very happy chappy this morning.

• Like 1

I am currently looking at the Rails website and am attempting to purchase something. I've got as far as the checkout but it appears that I can't pay unless I register with them. Am I missing something, or is that really the only way to shop with them?

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I am currently looking at the Rails website and am attempting to purchase something. I've got as far as the checkout but it appears that I can't pay unless I register with them. Am I missing something, or is that really the only way to shop with them?

Yes you need to register with them. Having ordered you'll then be able to track the order etc.

I had an order with Rails that was "in process" at lunchtime yesterday from a Boxing Day order. Got an email late in the afternoon that it had been dispatched with RM 48-hour tracked, but it came instead with Parcel Force at 6.45 this morning. Was still asleep in bed. Could have managed an 8.45 delivery though ...

1 hour ago, RFS said:

Yes you need to register with them. Having ordered you'll then be able to track the order etc.

I had an order with Rails that was "in process" at lunchtime yesterday from a Boxing Day order. Got an email late in the afternoon that it had been dispatched with RM 48-hour tracked, but it came instead with Parcel Force at 6.45 this morning. Was still asleep in bed. Could have managed an 8.45 delivery though ...

Thanks for the reply. They have just lost a sale then. I can't be doing with all this registering business and having yet another password to remember and another load of emails, trying to flog me stuff that I don't want.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 15/01/2020 at 13:51, meatloaf said:

They're not the fastest shippers.  It took two weeks for some (in stock) items to arrive the first time I ordered from them.  I have a current order with them that is still unshipped a week later.  In contrast, Kernow usually ship the same day.

There was this explanation posted on this thread recently that Rails have been stretched with staff shortages and high volumes of orders.  

"Rails have been having significant delays in handling pre orders and new orders, since November. It was reported on this forum that members had had to contact Rails about long delays in processing their SECR van orders, and they reported that Rails advised they had problems due to the volume of product and staff sickness. Unfortunately this has continued into December and on into January, probably compounded by the large amount of new stock coming in from Bachmann and Hornby. I had several pre orders that remained unprocessed for more than a working week after arrival, and I contacted Rails by phone to find out whether my account was working. It turned out that the problem was they were having difficulty handling the volume of new deliveries, so were not starting the pre order fulfilment for several days."

Despite this they can sometimes be quick, possibly they could be prioritising the bigger orders but there is a lack of consistency.    I purchased from Rails own website, new Hornby Scotrail coaches on 17th January which arrived here on 21st, yet some cheap second hand wagons which I bought from them on 15th January via their eBay RailsVault website were still showing yesterday on eBay as not yet dispatched.   I've now been able to make contact with them regarding this order and hopefully it should be fulfilled later this week.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Worrying scenes here, hope everyone is ok, thoughts with Rails staff having to deal with this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-55971786

Already noted here. Hopefully everyone is ok.

Edited by brushman47544
fix link
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking on their Facebook page, they are mentioned yesterday by a local locksmith, as having their property made secure after a fire next door. It looks like the fire service made an emergency entrance to Rails, breaking glass in the front and rear doors in the process.

• 6 months later...

Brownie points for Rails.

I had an outstanding item on an order from several months ago for a couple of small accessories.

They phoned the other day to say that they were now in stock and did I still want them.

I said that I did and they arrived yesterday very securely wrapped.

Seeing that the cost was £6 they must have made a hefty loss on the transaction.

They know I spend enough with them to make it worth while in the long term, but a lot of retailers would not have gone to the length that Rails did.

Bernard

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 7 months later...
On 07/04/2022 at 13:43, Keith J said:

Apologies if this has already been posted, couldn't see it anywhere. A friend of mine pointed this out to me yesterday which I thought may be of interest.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/model-railway-retailer-rails-of-sheffield-to-create-20-new-jobs-3642594

More fodder for the ebay madness thread.....

• 1 month later...