rails of sheffield

david heath

Really? Add in all the other stuff that you feel the same about. Then multiply that by 7.6 billion people.

Rails are definitely doing the right thing here and we should be encouraging them.

Phil

We should start recycling those people then as they are the problem. Not a little bit of plastic.

Soylent Green anyone?

Jason

Possibly, but are you also hand wringing at the use of plastics in your models ?....

the use of fossil fuels to import them.....you driving to the model shop.

This sort of consciousness has no logical end

Edited by rob D2

• 3 weeks later...

Today me and my uncle went to Rails for the 1st time since the new 2nd hand area was reopened. I could have spent hours in there, I love it

I'll have to give them another try. I've been in to Rails quite a few times over the last ten years or so, and spent quite some time being ignored whilst staff chat amongst themselves or to a friend/regular customer. I've enquired about their secondhand stock before, and been dismissed with a brusque "you'll have to look on our ebay site". Not my favourite shop, unfortunately. 

I'll have to give them another try. I've been in to Rails quite a few times over the last ten years or so, and spent quite some time being ignored whilst staff chat amongst themselves or to a friend/regular customer. I've enquired about their secondhand stock before, and been dismissed with a brusque "you'll have to look on our ebay site". Not my favourite shop, unfortunately. 

I went once when I happened to have a spare day in Sheffield, i was similarly disappointed in my visit as the shop area (at that time) was small.  What I realised was actually, the internet is actually a better medium for displaying trains - no glass reflections, excellent definition of photos and I could blow them up bigger if I wanted - in the shop I couldn't really see the models.

Getting back to the shop, clearly Rails have recognised their shop front didn't match the expectations of visitors and have done something very positive about it with the new showroom.

It should also be noted that Hattons had a similar set up - whilst Smithdown Road had quite a lot on display it was never the full stock, the new showroom had a lot less on show but I believe they are now also doing a Rails with a new showroom as people have been making similar noises about face to face interaction.

• RMweb Premium

I don't often purchase from Rails though have absolutely no issue with them - far from it their service is excellent.  But today I was alerted to the current crop of bargains which includes some Oxford Rail carflats at less than £20 apiece.  A browse around the major competitors offers nothing terribly close to that price so I have a couple promoted from the wish list to on order.  

Just popped in today, the new showroom looks amazingly. Quality shop fitting, everything nicely presented, trains running around the ceiling and a very simple and clever use of buffers as stools that I’m amazed I’ve never seen before (although it probably has been done before). All in all kinda the model rail shop equivalent of the stereotypical toy shop in American films. The staff member was friendly and explained the second hand vs new price labels. Thumbs up all round.

Unfortunately this time I was looking for second hand junk for bashing into 7mm narrow gauge like they used to have, but I can understand why they have stopped doing it, the turnover is slow and the margins small.

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Huge thanks to Ben and Simon for sorting out my Oxford Rail Dean Goods. Seems that OR are chucking out a lot of duff loco's and the poor retailers are taking the brunt of it with returns. It took 3 attempts but the guys went the extra mile after the 2nd return to make sure the 3rd one was faultless. Thanks guys!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Posted as an example of a quality customer service.After much soul searching and deliberation,I ordered on Wednesday afternoon a model I vowed (and indeed posted on this forum)that I would not buy and did not consider good value..I enclosed instructions that given the QC issues with this model to please check for faults before dispatch and ensure secure packaging for transit.

ParcelForce have just delivered.My instructions were carried out to the letter with note to that effect enclosed.It is intact in all respects and seems in prime condition after close examination under a torch.I will test later.

Well done Rails and a big thank you.

And what is it you may well ask ? Er....a Heljan BR green 47XX. After all I said. What a hypocrite ! I stand convicted.But there's work to be done to somehow tone its appearance down. But this will do for a start...just for now.'O Mea culpa,Mea maxima culpa.

"The Royal Duchy" takes to the tracks soon.

• Like 5

Ian,

I feel for you.  Of course how many times have I said . .  . ok, just one more British locomotive my last one. . .. wait, I need a couple of wagons to go with it. . . that's it, no more . . . wait, this will require a larger goods shed, but that's the last OO building  . . . . oh gosh, the locomotive is SR and my brake is GWR . . . .....

Railway modeler hypocrite?  I think we've all been there!!

Dave

Posted as an example of a quality customer service.After much soul searching and deliberation,I ordered on Wednesday afternoon a model I vowed (and indeed posted on this forum)that I would not buy and did not consider good value..I enclosed instructions that given the QC issues with this model to please check for faults before dispatch and ensure secure packaging for transit.

ParcelForce have just delivered.My instructions were carried out to the letter with note to that effect enclosed.It is intact in all respects and seems in prime condition after close examination under a torch.I will test later.

Well done Rails and a big thank you.

And what is it you may well ask ? Er....a Heljan BR green 47XX. After all I said. What a hypocrite ! I stand convicted.But there's work to be done to somehow tone its appearance down. But this will do for a start...just for now.'O Mea culpa,Mea maxima culpa.

"The Royal Duchy" takes to the tracks soon.

Had an identical exemplary experience from Rails with a lightly-weathered by Rails) BR green 47XX posted 8 days ago and arrived in NZ yesterday, I can't open it because it is for a brother who is away for a fortnight, but looking through the plastic it looks superb. The light weathering appears to have subdued the lining nicely.

Will photograph in the Heljan thread eventually.

Top marks to Rails. 

typo edit

Edited by robmcg

It was at least ten years since I went over to this shop think I'd been to Marcway for some point work and decided to call in and found exactly the same customer service level and felt in the way to be honest. But as fodenway has said would give them a second chance next time I go to Marcway  

• RMweb Gold

It was at least ten years since I went over to this shop think I'd been to Marcway for some point work and decided to call in and found exactly the same customer service level and felt in the way to be honest. But as fodenway has said would give them a second chance next time I go to Marcway  

I'm sorry that you and fodenway have been given that impression.I think you will find that its current strength and prime asset is its knowledgeable efficient,courteous and mainly young staff. This quality of service is the same whether online,via the telephone or face to face in the retail shop.If you can,go and visit their revitalised store.

• Like 1

I'm sorry that you and fodenway have been given that impression.I think you will find that its current strength and prime asset is its knowledgeable efficient,courteous and mainly young staff. This quality of service is the same whether online,via the telephone or face to face in the retail shop.If you can,go and visit their revitalised store.

Have to agree  with  Ian,  I use  Rails quite  often,  for  the  many  scales  I 'dabble' in,  never  had  a  problem  ( I have   bought  from  them  for  many years),  if  an issue   has  occurred  which  is very infrequent  it  is  dealt  with  courteously,  and  without  any cost to me,  actually  3 or  4 weeks  ago  I purchased an item (new)   which  had a small  manufacturing (assembly) fault  which  rendered  the power transfer  from  one  bogie  to the PCB board not working,  I was  able to   fix it myself  , I spoke to Rails  and  they  gave me  an acceptable discount  for my  problem.

The point is  that  when  I  described  the  problem to the  person I spoke to  it  was  immediately  understood,  which is  not  always  the  case  with some retailers  

Edited by Stevelewis

Possibly, but are you also hand wringing at the use of plastics in your models ?....

the use of fossil fuels to import them.....you driving to the model shop.

This sort of consciousness has no logical end

We are discussing recycling I believe, not returning to the stone age.

This consciousness has an extremely logical end - do all that you can to help retard climate change. If some feel they need to stop playing with plastic toy trains to achieve that end, or stop driving in cars, or stop buying packaged foodstuffs, that's great, I don't feel that need... at least not yet.

Edited by Martin S-C

With reference to Rails' Ebay shop, I cannot give them much of a plus, because five years ago, give or take, they sent an 00 RTR steam model in a large carton without padding inside, and the product was damaged quite badly. I complained, sent photos of the carton and damaged engine as arrived.  

They offered a 10% discount on my next purchase if I gave them good feedback. I didn't, and gave them bad feedback. They then banned me from bidding on their site, and I remain banned. 5 years later!

My crime? Telling the truth about a sale and delivery. It was very poorly packed. 

I know from other buyers from Rails Ebay that they are usually very good.

But banning someone who gives honest feedback?    Poor form.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look inside our fabulous new Rails Emporium showroom.

Featuring a massive range of new, pre-owned and rare models on display. All gauge, all ages, European, American and from around the world.

Whether you're just starting off in model railway or you're a lifetime collector you will find there is something for everyone.

The new showroom is situated right next door to our existing shop on Chesterfield Road, Sheffield, S8 0RL.

We look forward to seeing you there!

• Like 8