3D printing by I Materialise

looking around at other 3D printing companies and came across these guys. Link goes to materials page.http://i.materialise.com/support/materials

Of not is that they have more material options. A couple stood out as very useful.

1 - Transparent - could this be used for flush glazing in coaches and alike?

2 - Titanium - very fine levels of detail, expensive but could this be a good option for masters for making moulds?

3 - Who's up for a range of Gold wagons?

Has anyone used them?

looking around at other 3D printing companies and came across these guys. Link goes to materials page.http://i.materialise.com/support/materials

Of not is that they have more material options. A couple stood out as very useful.

This is the same as Shapeways 'transparent detail'

2 - Titanium - very fine levels of detail, expensive but could this be a good option for masters for making moulds?

Has anyone used them?

I haven't. One thing to note is that Shapeways are, in general, cheaper for smaller object, while iMaterialise are cheaper for large ones, ie >£500-1000

looking around at other 3D printing companies and came across these guys. Link goes to materials page.http://i.materialise...pport/materials

Has anyone used them?

I've got some stuff on order as a try out, In the prime grey (which doesn't show on the page you linked for some reason? And will probably try the printable resin next.

http://i.materialise.com/support/comparisonpage?materialID=2e7b80e9-634b-485a-bc40-5e4324078b54

http://i.materialise.com/support/materials/prime-gray

Price wise, the prime grey seems about 25% dearer than Shapeways WSF, but cheaper than FUD, but you've then got to add vat and carriage to that making it pretty close, however if it works it's free carriage over 100 euro and I will order in blocks of 100 euro.........

• 3 weeks later...

I'm impressed by the level of detail here as well! Have visible is the stepping, have you tried FUD? If so how do the two compare?

I've signed up to I Materialise but don't seem to be able to upload a model. Each time I click the upload model button nothing happens and the button won't let me click again - any suggestions?

FUD, maybe a bit better, but, excluding carriage PG is about 60% of the price, cheaper than FD too, don't know why, but it 'feels' better too. Much quicker at the moment. With it being SLA it works well too, very easy to get the stepping out on the curved section. Trying to find out about it's continued availability.

Anyone tried Sculpteo yet?

That looks very good.

The Prime grey material is on trial,which ends next week.If you want to order more,do so before the 16th.

I'm waiting for clarification about the trial period and what's happening, will post up when I know more details.

Had a reply regarding PG and it's availability, basically I was told not to worry as their professional branch keeps it in their portfolio and I can still get stuff done. I think it's going to be a FUD like scenario, that if they get good feedback they'll keep it.

Had an FD model through from Shapeways today, well, PG is far and above a better material for my needs, I'm not saying that's the case for everyone or everything but for bodies etc it looks like PG is better

I've got some other stuff coming in PG,hopefully it will be as good. I wonder if Shapeways would offer a similar material, if not they may find a bit of their market defecting, is it worth an ask on the Shapeways forum?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting material. It's worth pointing out though that by comparison to FUD, the minimum wall thickness is 1mm (as compared to FUD's 0.3mm). This means detailed small parts aren't really possible. It might be useful for printing my JHA bodies though and cheap enough to experiment with. Have you run into any issues with the minimum wall thickness with your tram bodies?

Given Shapeway's recent price increases (now charging nearly a tenner for shipping to the UK) this makes alternatives much more appealing!

Agreed, for very fine detail it may not work, however, for raised detail on a surface it's pretty good. I recently upped the wall on some of my trams from 1 to 1.25mm, with this SLA material it works fine, to be honest I was very happy with the detail achieved on the trolley planks on the recent single deckers.

I was also pleasantly surprised when I received an email from I Materialise explaining even though it passed their online tests, one model may not print well if kept at 1mm, so I upped it to 1.25mm, happy with the result and it was also nice to see 'real human interferance' rather than, yeah we'll print that, make you wait 4/5 weeks then give you a credit if it comes out wrong, not saying that'll always be the case but it was my first experience with both them and the material, and it was nice to get it right first time.

It has gone up a little bit, but I can understand that, I'd say about 3-5 euros on a tram body

For those who haven't seen it here's pics of my GC long car for the Grimsby and Immingham and also a Gateshead car as received

post-7067-0-79764700-1318269164_thumb.jpg

post-7067-0-41384600-1318269277_thumb.jpg

post-7067-0-23239500-1318269417_thumb.jpg

Has anyone come across or used this manufacturer?

http://www.fasterpol...om/Welcome.html

Lots of info here in English on material, costs, resolution etc but few photos though there is a page showing what they say is the difference between their process and the materials other manufacturers used.

Yes, I have seen it already, I can't quite remember, but I'm pretty certain that it was linked up from a German model tram forum I occasionally try to post and read! If it was I seem to remember the prices being quite steep in comparison to some other places, may be wrong though because looking at it the price per cm/3 doesn't seem ridiculous, better for bigger stuff though with the initial 9.95 euro cost.

Might be worth a try, will see if I can get a costing on one of my models in the near future.

Yes, I have seen it already, I can't quite remember, but I'm pretty certain that it was linked up from a German model tram forum I occasionally try to post and read! If it was I seem to remember the prices being quite steep in comparison to some other places, may be wrong though because looking at it the price per cm/3 doesn't seem ridiculous, better for bigger stuff though with the initial 9.95 euro cost.

Might be worth a try, will see if I can get a costing on one of my models in the near future.

Not cheap, objet printed tram body (high def) 93.70 or 104.12 with support removed inc tax and carriage to the UK, I think I'll stay with I Materialise at the moment, I've found out that Materialise (the parent company) have a UK branch in Rotherham, wonder if we'll ever get stuff from there?

Quick edit, prices in euros, for what difference that makes!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got a test print back from I-Materialise, the infamous K3 body again!

I've printed this to directly compare Prime Grey against FUD. I was pushing my luck with the finer detail on this model from Prime Grey but it seems to have all been printed. The only disappointing areas on first inspection are the smoke box door and curved tops to the tender with are heavily stepped. The nice thing is that I-Materialise has printed to loco body standing upright which removes much of the stepping effect which is evident using FUD.

If I was doing this again, I think I would use Prime Grey for the main body with smaller parts - like smoke box door done in FUD.

Overall very impressed and delievered within 10 working days!

post-943-0-27555300-1319633333_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-57565700-1319633363_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-83780100-1319633391_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-84103000-1319633417.jpg

post-943-0-28974400-1319633478_thumb.jpg

Got to say that looks really well considering the actual size of the thing, I do like the idea of PG for the main parts and FUD for the more detailed areas, seems a good compromise.

You'll probably 'get' what i mean about the 'feel' of the stuff, to my mind it's right for a model, sounds strange but when you handle it, you'd know what I mean.

You'll probably 'get' what i mean about the 'feel' of the stuff, to my mind it's right for a model, sounds strange but when you handle it, you'd know what I mean.

Yes I understand what you mean. FUD even when cleaned has that waxy/soft feel about it - PG does have a much more solid feel about it. As stated I really pushed my luck with this model, the smallest details are only 0.1mm (against their 0.3mm design rules) and in one place down to a 0.3mm wall thickness. Try disregarding the rules with Shapeways and they will flat refuse to print your model. I-Materialise on the other hand simply warned me that the model may not print correctly and ask me if I wanted to try anyway, which I did!!! :sungum:

I will try and prime it at some point and see if clean up is easier than with FUD...

Archived