3D printing by I Materialise

The K3 body looks terrific Atso. The question is - given it must be N gauge - would it look as "stepped" in those areas you mentioned, in a bigger scale?

All fascinating stuff, and the trams are phenomenal. Really does make you think about the future of this hobby.

The stepping is caused by the layering process of the 3D printer. How noticeable the stepping is depends on the build thickness of the printer (looks like 0.1-0.2mm on the Prime Grey material), the shape of the part and the orientation it is printed in. Obviously a larger part will have more layers in it which might result is a better looking curved part - for 4mm though it would be much easier to clean this up.

The orientation of the model during its printing will play a big part how the stepping looks of the finial model. With the PG version of the K3 it looks like the body was printed standing up on end. This has resulted in the boiler and cab having very few visible build layers but the smokebox door shows them up. I could ask to have the smoke box door printed upright as a separate part but this would mean the stepping would appear across the diameter of the door instead.

As previously stated I think Shapeways's FUD material would be better for areas like the smokebox door, chimley, safety valves etc with Prime Grey being used for the bulk of the body.

Hope this makes sense, some additional pictures of the body in primer attached which might show up what I am on about.

post-943-0-26683900-1319724953_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-58652500-1319724992_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm tempted to try Prime Grey and even have a go with High Detail Resin. Just one question (now that shapeways have started to charge for delivery) what is the delivery charge to the UK?

Of the top of my head, 8 euros for UPS delivery, free on over 100 euro orders, I tend to order in 100 euro blocks as that's 3/4 tram bodies in PG,

• 2 years later...

Archived