French Wagons TP de 40 Tonnes

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me if the French Wagons TP de 40 Tonnes, (basically tank transporter wagons), are the same as the British built warflats of World War One vintage?

Many thanks in advance,

Grant

I believe the TP (Travaux Publiques- a bit like the Ministry of War Transport/Ministry of Supply) wagons were supplied by the Americans when they entered WW1 in 1917; they are to a similar design to the WW2 Warflats. I wouldn't be surprised at simililarities between them, as I believe the design originated with Leeds Forge, who had built modified American wagons for the UK market from the end of the 19th century.

I thought the WW1 Warflats- known as 'Rectanks'- had a floor which dipped slightly inboard of the headstocks, in a similar manner to the BR-built ones.

There are still examples of TP Flats in service with SNCF, albeit in internal use- I saw one a few years ago at an SNCF wagon repair shops in Northern France. It was being used to store the cover off a NTL flask wagon...

Brian

HI Brian,

And thanks for the swift reply. I'm going to model a couple of Somua S35's on flat wagons, (in 'OO' / 1/72nd scale), so I'll take it as read that I can use Warflats...afterall, how many people would know the difference??? :huh:

Warflats are, as the name suggests, basically bogie flat wagons, whilst the 'rectanks', as you state correctly, had a slight bevel in the floor...and there are also 'warwells', which were basically elongated well wagons.

I might 'cut and shut' three of the old Ratio GWR bogie wagons to make two warflats, but where do I find 1930's/1940's wagon decals??? Any ideas??

Again, many thanks for your help

Grant

post-1468-0-46870600-1311434852_thumb.jpg

Hi Jonathan,

There is something similar at Locomotion in Shildon. It is a warflat with a Crusader MK II, (I think), on it. I'll have to have another pop down and check it out, as it's just 30 minutes from my house.

If you have any photos of the French wagons, that would be good.

Many thanks for the reply,

Grant

WOW!!! Thanks everyone for the replies. I think this is just what I'm looking for...even if my French is a bit rusty!!!

If anyone has had dealings with 'Obsidienne', I'd be grateful for your comments, thoughts, feedback, etc.

Onceagain, many thanks for the replies.

Grant

WOW!!! Thanks everyone for the replies. I think this is just what I'm looking for...even if my French is a bit rusty!!!

If anyone has had dealings with 'Obsidienne', I'd be grateful for your comments, thoughts, feedback, etc.

Onceagain, many thanks for the replies.

Grant

Not Obsidienne, but another French supplier:- Carpena who sell a range of transfers for French subjects (printed by Microscale, I think)

http://www.star-boutique.fr/modelisme-ferroviaire-recherche-rapide-fr-6.html

has several sets of wagon transfers

Brian

Archived