Hornby Horseboxes

Ed-farms

The first of Hornby's horseboxes are now in stock at Hattons £16 for one or £60 for 4

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?sid=35957 GWR Version 1 R6507

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?sid=35958 GWR Version 2 R6507A

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?sid=35986 BR Version 1 R6537

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?sid=35987 BR Version 2 R6537A

No photos yet but hopefully they will be good models. Got to be for the price they are at.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hattons has pictures up now.

Nice prototype shot to compare against:

http://www.gwsr.com/gwr-175/on-the-running-line/gwr-rolling-stock.aspx

The buffers look a bit malnourished and the brake gear is compromised by the NEM pockets but its basically up there with the BY and the Shark brake as a very nice body/

Thanks Craig.I reckon the position of the shirtbutton is too high but they do look nice.

Thanks Craig.I reckon the position of the shirtbutton is too high but they do look nice.

Considering the two 'prototype' photos (of a restored example) have the shirtbutton at two different heights (one of which matches the Hornby model), I'm not sure that I'd be too concerned.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Considering the two 'prototype' photos (of a restored example) have the shirtbutton at two different heights (one of which matches the Hornby model), I'm not sure that I'd be too concerned.

Adrian

Yes I'd seen that too Adrian but I thought Hornby might have a copy of Russells coach book to hand to get the detail right. :laugh:

My BR version arrived today. I haven't compared it to the original yet, but the model looks good.

My initial concern is trying to convert it to EM. It doesn't look easy. It seems that most of the brake gear will have to be removed and then replaced with new.

• RMweb Gold

How likely would it to see a horsebox in a train with a couple of hawksworths (or similar)?

I believe Dobbin was regarded as premium traffic, would be attached to passenger services - although not the Cornish Riviera!

• Like 1

I believe Dobbin was regarded as premium traffic, would be attached to passenger services - although not the Cornish Riviera!

Yes they were passenger rated and you do see them in passenger trains. I've seen one on the branch line train to Brecon, the train being a Collett and a Hawksworth brake 3rd. Hawksworth coaches got downgraded pretty quickly once mk1s came along.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

Picked up two of these horseboxes today in both GWR and BR liveries. Excellent they are too.

As it happens, I'm building the Parkside GWR horsebox (and the new LNER one-lots of Dobbins!) and the Parkside instructions quote Russell in saying that post 1927 the ends would have been painted black. Would this be the case with Hornby version?

Also appears that on my GWR version there is only the number and GWR roundel on the side. Would there have been XP/WB/Tare data etc details on these wagons?

I'm modelling the GWR post war and as Rob said earlier the roundel would still have been found on wagons, but would a plain G W in gold also have been a possibility?

Thanks,

Mark

I'm modelling the GWR post war and as Rob said earlier the roundel would still have been found on wagons, but would a plain G W in gold also have been a possibility?

Gold was never used, only yellow. It is usual to try to find photographic evidence when wanting to run liveries long after their sell by date. There was a high probability that the GWR roundel could be found on stock in early BR days. Can't speak for large G W lettering on horseboxes though.

On the topic of BR liveries, carmine paint was used from 1949 until mid 1956. Imagine a Horsebox getting a carmine repaint in early 1956, it would carry that colour until its next repaint was due. If a Horsebox required a repaint in say August 1956, then it would be one of the first to receive maroon. So what I'm saying is carmine and maroon would be seen side by side at least until 1961 and possibly later.

• Like 1

Is that passenger suburban red or dark red as used on Wolverton-built meat vans? Or do you think that both colours are one and the same?

One and the same. From 1949 to 1956 there was only one red and that was what BR called crimson lake (which it plainly wasnt). Linesiders of the day had more sence and called it carmine red, which it was. This colour was replaced in 1956 by what BR called maroon, which was in fact meant to be a copy of LMS crimson lake. Confusing? Well no, it wasn't for 60 years until upstarts started up-loading spurious comments on Wikapedia.

Guest dilbert

Also appears that on my GWR version there is only the number and GWR roundel on the side. Would there have been XP/WB/Tare data etc details on these wagons?

Yes but this would have been applied to the solebars and not the body... dilbert

• Like 2

How long did the real ones last, and did any pass into departmental service? It looks a very nice model; it's good to see that Hornby do occasionally bring out a model to rival Bachmann's otherwise dominance of the RTR market for modellers. I await the iron ore hopper with anticipation too.