Hornby Horseboxes

Ed-farms

Having indulged and bought four of the things (in GWR colours) last year, I finally sat down and took them out the box today and I am quite impressed with the underframe, miles better than what I could achieve.

Bearing in mind the various comments made here (re black ends, lamp irons, grey roof. etc.), the 4 wagons are going into my "easy upgrade" pile. hHowever I am a bit stuck. I know that Mickiner found the body to be a simple push fit onto the chassis (I've yet to muster the courage to open one of mine), but no one has mentioned how much space there is behind the buffer beam for working screww link couplings.

I'm wondering - given the exquiste and presumably somewhat fragile underframe - whether I'd be better off trying to upgrade the existing hook to take a screw link as opposed to drilling out and adding a new hook.

Any thoughts?

F

• RMweb Gold

Bearing in mind the various comments made here (re black ends, lamp irons, grey roof. etc.), the 4 wagons are going into my "easy upgrade" pile. hHowever I am a bit stuck. I know that Mickiner found the body to be a simple push fit onto the chassis (I've yet to muster the courage to open one of mine), but no one has mentioned how much space there is behind the buffer beam for working screww link couplings.

I'm wondering - given the exquiste and presumably somewhat fragile underframe - whether I'd be better off trying to upgrade the existing hook to take a screw link as opposed to drilling out and adding a new hook.

Any thoughts?

F

You would need to shorten the spring considerably but they should work when fiited.Remove the nem pocket and the 5mm space is just enough.I will fit them on mine but I also keep the tension locks too for my layout and remove them for photos.Like you say the underframe is first class,shame Hornbys siphon g's not the same.

• RMweb Gold

Chop off the NEM coupling bits, under which is a large square gap behind the headstock with plenty of room for a coupling (and spring behind it should that be your preference)

Yes so if you have any siphon g's lurking for the strawberry traffic at Cheddar, change those too. :sungum:

Will have to start hunting for photos of at least one which survived with the earlier logo fingers crossed. Not a massive fan of the shirt button...

Will need to stock up on more transfers as well, after finishing the Horsebox I now only have 2 more sets of transfers left (and a Fruit D and Siphon G awaiting paint.)

• RMweb Gold

Chop off the NEM coupling bits, under which is a large square gap behind the headstock with plenty of room for a coupling (and spring behind it should that be your preference)

Will have to start hunting for photos of at least one which survived with the earlier logo fingers crossed. Not a massive fan of the shirt button...

Will need to stock up on more transfers as well, after finishing the Horsebox I now only have 2 more sets of transfers left (and a Fruit D and Siphon G awaiting paint.)

Rich.If you don't mind waterslide transfers,Fox do a set of just shirtbutton logos for £3.50

http://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/products.cgi

• RMweb Premium

I've been thinking of 'grotting up' :rofl_mini: mine too but haven't got round to it yet, but I was wondering whether it might be a mistake to make it too 'grotty', bearing in mind that they were used for a fairly 'prestigious' type of traffic, and possibly also didn't put in the kind of mileage that other types of NPCCS would have done?

• RMweb Premium

I've been thinking of 'grotting up' :rofl_mini: mine too but haven't got round to it yet, but I was wondering whether it might be a mistake to make it too 'grotty', bearing in mind that they were used for a fairly 'prestigious' type of traffic, and possibly also didn't put in the kind of mileage that other types of NPCCS would have done?

Russell says they would often be seen off the GWR system. So time away from "Home" could possibly be extensive, in which case the mileage might clock up and general track rubbish accumulating etc. Off topic though - I was surprised to see the Bachmann cattle trucks labled as "Not common user" when given as presents at Christmas. Surely these would also have wandered off the system?

Meanwhile, I am finishing off a Parkside Dundas N13 Horsebox.

Is it just me, or did the Hornby stock sell out very quickly? - Hopefully I will have better luck next time round!

Edited by Neal Ball

Guest dilbert

I wouldn't grot things up too much - as you state the owners of such animals would want to have been assured that they were well taken care of in transit and that would have implied regular cleaning and maintenance. There are a couple of photos in Judge's GW AEC Railcars of the Lambourne branch where car N°18 was allowed to haul up to six horse boxes. The photos show horseshit all over the platform and yet the overall apearance of the horseboxes is quite clean - no doubt the platform was cleaned up rapidly after departure of one of these services... dilbert

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

....... Judge's GW AEC Railcars of the Lambourne branch where car N°18 was allowed to haul up to six horse boxes........ dilbert

Wow! - I didn't realise they were allowed to haul so much.

• RMweb Gold

It might well have been allowed to - I wonder how often it actually managed it (or needed to manage it)?

(In 1954 - for the first time generally as far as I can establish -an Instruction appeared giving the maximum permitted tail loads for the ex GWR railcars numbered 18 and upwards; the load was 60 tons but to be reduced to 30 tons where gradients were

1 in 60 or steeper - which would therefore include the Lambourn branch. I don't know the weight of a GW horsebox but I bet it was probably a bit more than 5 tons when loaded however No18 did have sanders I believe which might have led to some sort of localised Instruction?)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It might well have been allowed to - I wonder how often it actually managed it (or needed to manage it)?

(In 1954 - for the first time generally as far as I can establish -an Instruction appeared giving the maximum permitted tail loads for the ex GWR railcars numbered 18 and upwards; the load was 60 tons but to be reduced to 30 tons where gradients were

1 in 60 or steeper - which would therefore include the Lambourn branch. I don't know the weight of a GW horsebox but I bet it was probably a bit more than 5 tons when loaded however No18 did have sanders I believe which might have led to some sort of localised Instruction?)

Looking at Russell Vol 2 the Tare is shown as either 10 or 12 ton.

The photos in Judge are of a 1937 trial when the load was seven boxes. Presumably they were testing for exceptional loads from the several nearby racing stables. He does not say how successful the trial was, but he suggests that a more typical load on the branch was a trailer car or a couple of horseboxes.

Nick

• 5 weeks later...

Probably worth pointing out (as covered in another recent HB thread) that #18 was specially built for this use on the Lambourn branch, the other cars wouldnt be allowed the same load.

If anyone is looking for further information on the GWR Horseboxes, Great Western Journal has been running a continuous series of all the different diagrams. The new edition, no 81 Winter 2012 is now in the shops with part 4 and covers The N13 (Parkside) to N15. Next issue should cover the N16 (Hornby).

Very useful for numberings, dual/vac only, livery and stables branding, circus vans, denparts vans, etc, and details of boxes altered to suit a particular customer/stable.

Mike Wiltshire

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a bump for this topic and a heads up on the release of the large lettered GW version of the horsebox.This livery is incorrect for this later diagram so it will be interesting to see how well they sell compared with the shirtbutton livery.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=R6562

http://www.ehattons.com/51123/Hornby_Model_Railways_R6562_GWR_Horse_Box_Due_2nd_Qtr/StockDetail.aspx

• Like 1

I thought we had already established that the Hornby box is N16, Lot 1577, built in 1937. Anything seen in 1932 with 16" GW letters would have been N15 or earlier. Or, perhaps, the next issue of GWRJ will turn all this on its head?

btw Robin's mention of 'large' GW had me worried, I thought perhaps Hornby had created an even greater error and released it with the 25" letters :scratchhead:

Nick

Guest dilbert

I thought we had already established that the Hornby box is N16, Lot 1577, built in 1937. Anything seen in 1932 with 16" GW letters would have been N15 or earlier. Or, perhaps, the next issue of GWRJ will turn all this on its head?

There appears to be an error in GWRJ N° 81, pg 56) in that the reference to Lot 1577 has been attributed to dia. N15 instead of Lot 1461.

Looking thru the facsimile copies of the Horse Box Index in Russell's GW Coaches Appendix 2, stock numbers in the range 515 - 599 were allocated to both N15 (Lot 1461) & N16 (Lot 1577). There is no real pattern to this (apart from the attribution being completely random), but 516, which I believe is the number to be used by Hornby, is in fact a dia N16...dilbert

• Like 1

The number list in the N15 section of the GWRJ article only mentions lots 1444 and 1461, The subheading "Lot 1577" here is clearly an error and should say "Lot 1461". If you examine the numbers referred to in that section, you'll find they are all ones listed above under Lot 1461. In addition, it refers to No 1518 which I assume should be No 518. No doubt all will be corrected in the next issue.

There's a slightly cryptic remark in Russell's coaches vol 2 that the numbers 515 to 599 were mixed between these two lots. Harris doesn't list NPCS lots, but it is clear from his listing of lots that 1461 should be somewhere around 1931/2 and 1577 should be early 1937. These agree with both the GWRJ article (ignoring errors) and Russell.

The Hornby box is most definitely N16. It has straight ends which are the main distinguishing feature of this diagram from N15 and other recent predecessors.

Nick

• Like 1

Guest dilbert

Russell's Appendix 2 - 'The Brown Vehicles' lists the cryptic comment you refer to on a stock/Lot/dia. number basis - it's on pg 276 - there are indices also for other diagrams... dilbert

Edited by dilbert

Russell's Appendix 2 - 'The Brown Vehicles' lists the cryptic comment you refer to on a stock/Lot/dia. number basis - it's on pg 276 - there are indices also for other diagrams... dilbert

Thanks for that. I knew I'd seen that list somewhere, just couldn't remember where it was.

Nick

• 3 months later...

I just happened to look through the current copy of the' Great Western Railway Journal',Spring 2012 magazine in WHS today and there is an interesting article on these horseboxes with quite a selection of photographs.

Pete.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I received the G W lettered version of this R6562 for Christmas.I've just took it out of it's box and found that Hornby are now releasing this model with the correct black ends ! They might have read this thread.Was just about to get my paintbrush out too. :no: I will be putting a shirtbutton on it though.