Hornby Horseboxes

Ed-farms

• RMweb Gold

R6562 is not listed on Hornby's website. Perhaps this model has been around for a while?

Yes and it was an ebay purchase.Not listed in stock on Hattons site either.I was hoping Hornby would do another number and shirtbutton livery but alas no mention for 2014.Perhaps they're not a good seller.I was pleasantly surprised to see black ends, I must admit.

... the G W lettered version of this R6562 ...

I think this is one I wanted but missed. (I wasn't paying attention and didn't get my pre-order in.) I have the one released earlier (and according to discussion here) more prototypically correct roundel. I haven't really tried hard to find it so clearly I'm not too worried.

• RMweb Gold

I think this is one I wanted but missed. (I wasn't paying attention and didn't get my pre-order in.) I have the one released earlier (and according to discussion here) more prototypically correct roundel. I haven't really tried hard to find it so clearly I'm not too worried.

They crop up on ebay regularly and can be 'won' for less than a tenner on a good day.

Edited by gwrrob

• 1 year later...

A quick question about how far the GWR horseboxes traveled during BR days.

If a horse were to be taken from the South West up to a meeting in Yorkshire, would they be put in a GWR box and that travel all the way to the racecourse, or would the horse be transferred into different stock as they crossed between regions?

I bought a Hornby maroon box, but am not sure if I should go for something different on my Midland (South Yorkshire - ish) layout. I have the receipt to take it back, but I do like the look of the GWR box having such a different profile from BR MK1 coaches, when put at the head of a passenger train.

Any suggestion would be most welcome.

If a horse were to be taken from the South West up to a meeting in Yorkshire, would they be put in a GWR box and that travel all the way to the racecourse, or would the horse be transferred into different stock as they crossed between regions?

I bought a Hornby maroon box, but am not sure if I should go for something different on my Midland (South Yorkshire - ish) layout. I have the receipt to take it back, but I do like the look of the GWR box having such a different profile from BR MK1 coaches, when put at the head of a passenger train.

Even prior to Nationalisation, horse-boxes would probably travel all the way through; you wouldn't want to detain a horse whilst it was moved from one company's wagon to anothers, and, unless the horse ended up at the knacker's yard, it would probably be travelling back to its station of origin in the van it arrived in.

There was another traffic that saw the ex-GWR vans travelling far and wide; the Milk Marketing Board had a breeding station at Johnstown, just west of Carmarthen, which sent pedigree calves to herds around the country. This lasted into the 1960s, when it was superseded by super-insulated containers containing the bull's contribution to the process; you'd often see these on the platform at Llanelli, awaiting a connection for the Shrewsbury service.

Thank you so much for that Fat Controller.

I though that might be the case, a lot of fuss loading and unloading horses, always the chance of a stray whistle sooking one, and you don't want a horse charging around the railways lines.

Out of the box, and ready to be weathered then. It will look nice at the head of some maroon MK1s.

There are shots in the 1930's Soole collection of trains with large numbers of horseboxes from all regions leaving/returning from Aintree Grand National (run on a Friday then) with horseboxes of all ages/regions run throughout from the event. Similar views of specials from Newbury with whole trains of horseboxes travelling thoughout (the horses had to return unless auctioned after the race).

Maurice Earley shot here

http://locodriver.co.uk/Railway_Encyclopedia/Part226/Part05/img25.gif

GWR horsebox special heading north for Manchester at Birmingham here

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/birmingham-snowhill/locomotives/gwrbsh1778.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

There are shots in the 1930's Soole collection of trains with large numbers of horseboxes from all regions leaving/returning from Aintree Grand National (run on a Friday then) with horseboxes of all ages/regions run throughout from the event. Similar views of specials from Newbury with whole trains of horseboxes travelling thoughout (the horses had to return unless auctioned after the race).

Maurice Earley shot here

http://locodriver.co.uk/Railway_Encyclopedia/Part226/Part05/img25.gif

GWR horsebox special heading north for Manchester at Birmingham here

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/birmingham-snowhill/locomotives/gwrbsh1778.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Your first link is coming up as an ad for Adidas - for me at least.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

With all the excitement of the recent Hornby announcement this set of three might have slipped everyone's notice. I can't tell if all three have the same running number, I would hope not . Due in April for around the 50 sheets mark.

post-126-0-35887500-1515779181_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

With all the excitement of the recent Hornby announcement this set of three might have slipped everyone's notice. I can't tell if all three have the same running number, I would hope not . Due in April for around the 50 sheets mark.

attachicon.gifpost-1-0-43765800-1514978107.jpg

If only Henley had a racecourse, I could use loads then! It is after all a lovely model.

All their past multi-packs have featured different running numbers for each of the wagons, and often, slightly different details as well.

I know it's only a catalogue image, but just look at the vast distance between the buffers! Hornby have done this before on other vans (Southern) and it looks ridiculous and toy-like.

If you open the picture provided by AndyY you can see that they are numbered consecutively: 554-555-556.

I wonder if they'll be another run on these in 2017.I would say it has the most underframe detail of any GWR freight stock on the market.

This was a good guess - you were just a year off!

I've been looking forward to this being reintroduced. I'll jump at the opportunity to pick up a three-pack. This is probably the item that excited me the most in the Hornby announcement.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

If only Henley had a racecourse, I could use loads then! It is after all a lovely model.

But you may. Because the hay burner had a fairly short range, the gent who enjoyed riding (Henley surely would have some) could trot on it to the nearest station offering horsebox hire (which he would typically have prebooked) and proceed to go a distance by train before once more leaping into the saddle. While he lounged in 1st class, a groom could ride in the box to care for his transport. There would often be a horse for the groom as well. This is how people visited friends, went to hunts, race meets and other sports, until the motor car totally displaced the horse from normal personal transport to essentially leisure pursuit.

It was so routine that no mention is made of it in novels where a character rides to catch a train and is back on the horse after leaving the train. One of the best early pictures of a friend's house shows a horse in the front garden in the 1920s. The house owner would in summer ride to the station and take horse up to town, where he would then ride to the office: the Army had an ample stable provision in London.

• RMweb Gold

Just had a thought about that Neal.  All you need to do is apply some calendar flexibility and move forward the current annual international riding event from the present day to your layout's time frame so you have a choice of show jumping or horse trials and the latter attracts Olympic class competitors who would inevitably have come by train had the thing gone on in days of yore.

• Like 1