So what's all this about then...

As you can probably tell I am a newbie to this area of the board. This digital design business might just be the ticket for a project I am working on right now that has some complex roof windows. Therefore I have a few questions as to how easy it is to get into 3D printing?

Do you buy your own 3D printer or are there companies that do this for you? What sort of costs are involved?

I know this question might be akin to asking how long is a piece of string but how long would it take the average person to get the skills to create the CAD work for the windows in the roof of this station:

post-6976-0-95792100-1311622800_thumb.jpg

I have access to CAD at work and there is scope for training in the next year or so, however my access would be limited to lunchtimes and after work.So another question would be how long does it take to design a piece like this?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

It is a bit like how long is a piece of string..... The best bet might be to take a look at this book:

http://www.apress.com/9781430233619

I've a copy of this and it is a very good guide to getting going. One tip it gives you which I haven't tried, is that you can trace over a picture of something like a building, and draw it up so that you can print it out. Might be well worth it if you're going to be looking at buildings - and of course sketchup was designed to develop models of buildings.

It's also worth looking over the forums on the shapeways website to get a feel for what's going on and how much it might cost.

Be careful though, it is dangerously addictive!

Regards

Richard.

Are they on both sides? I would say that if you are only making one (or two in the case of the outer windows) then you will be quicker making them up by hand than learning CAD, drawing them up, getting them printed, fettling, then maybe changing things and doing it again because you made a mistake,...

Thanks to both of you for responding. To answer richbrummit's questions - they are on both sides and I am considering making 3 of these station buildings so mass production would be better. Plus my hand techniques are really not up to the job.

Richard - Thanks for your insights. I shall look into the shapeways web site.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Welcome. Firstly I think if you are going to learn to CAD the building(s) then Sketchup is definitely one of the easiest programs to start off with. I would say that for the actual building maybe a mixture of scratch and 3D printed items might be a good mix for areas you are not comfortable building. Anyway the there is loads of fun to be had with SU and as Richard says it was design for buildings. In fact it was one of the few bit of software I brought as a student when it was pre-google. Keep us posted.

Regards

Tom

Archived