Block working.

Hi freinds .. I'm pretty new here and have only commented on a couple of builds.

I have many questions, but each in it's own time.

I understand the premise of block working, .. (1) how is this achieved on a DCC miniature railway?. .. how are trains detected in a section?.

(2) what would be the minimum layout to perfect this in four aspect?. .. light engine is fine.

My intermediate aim, though ambitious is to have a PC controlling a main line ( tail chasing) and signals to control my manual shunting efforts.

I am a real noob and havn't bought a fishplate yet .. this will change in the next couple of weeks.

I had a train set as a kid .. late '60 early '70 .. this DCC is totally new.

Regards to all.

David Marshall.

Earlestown . UK.

Hi David, Welcome to RMWeb,

Have a look at www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk

That should get you started. There are a number of systems out there, but this is one I prefer. There are modules that control block sections, or using the irdot detectors (infrared) you could link up to a PC.

As for layout size, your block sections will need to be approx the length of your longest train and a minimum of two trains running to run the signalling effectively. For what I might call, a standard size layout, you may be best with 3 aspect signalling rather than 4. Unless your planning a large layout.

I'm sure someone else on here will have a different opinion but hope this helps and gets you started

Let us know how you get on.

Dan

Thanks Dan.

That is a great start. Thank you.

Block sections for the moment must be as small as light engine . approx 13" .. my maximum train size.

I don't have any room to build a layout . nor have I the finance.

In the next few weeks I will begin to aquire stock ( BR Blue 1970-80 . my trainspotting years)) :)

I am for the moment looking for the shortest track and train .. not a prototype . a test article.

Thanks for the link .. I am much obliged.

Regards.

David Marshall.

This can all be done with DCC, by physically sectioning the track, and then using sensors to detect current draw in a section as the indicator of train in section. The section lengths do need to be significantly longer than the loco, unless you are going to operate at 'dead slow' so that it is always possible to stop near instantly and thus remain in section. Check out the websites of the major DCC manufacturers like Lenz and Digitrax to see the product offerings and architectures. Doubtless MERG will have some build it yourself solution if you fancy more action with the soldering iron...

Archived