From a carriage window

Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

There's no fooling you, Pete...

Yep, that was a perspective view, this is the square on version:

post-7025-0-88574400-1313247932_thumb.jpg

Crikey thats a powerful optical illusion!

This project is going to be amazing.

Thanks,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Ragtag - thanks for those pictures - they are exactly what I'm thinking about.

Dave - yep, actualy looking at the front wall from an angle, even with two eyes, it's hard to believe that the windows aren't all square !

I was quite worried that the buildings would look obviously skewed, so I'm very pleased that what I imagined has actually worked !

Stu

What a good Idea Stu,

If you had the time (or the inclination) you could move the view along a bit and do some stop frame photography so you'd end up with an animation, this would give you unlimited opportunity's for dioramas (all viewed through the window)

• RMweb Gold

"if I had the time..."( doubtful before the challenge end date )

This diorama is designed specifically to be viewed from a very limited range - outside of that and not only do all the sightlines become distorted, but you'd get to see all the bits I've not done!

The window cut out is probably too large for most everything else I've done, but it's a great idea for future projects as a photographic exercise.

• RMweb Gold

As it's all going so well, I thought I'd add a bit more of a challenge by making the building at the front left a mock tudor pub. The sort with the white lath and plaster infill between the black oak timber beams, and the upper floors over-hanging the lower ones.

• RMweb Gold

I've made start on the tudor building - I'll need to consult my copy of Mr Ahern's 'Model Building Construction' (thanks again to he who donated it ! :drinks: ) to ensure I get the details correct.

Here is another photo to check all is looking ok so far...

post-7025-0-25897800-1313583315_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick, but I'm not sure I'm actually creating the correct image.

On the one hand, I'm pleased that the perspective view looks correct from this angle, but does that mean that the effort that actually produces that view is lost, because it looks correct ?

I'll see what it looks like one some of the street furniture is in place, but I might have done this too well and lost the impact of the model.

• RMweb Gold

Stu,

Are your (coach) window dimensions correct? It looks a bit too 'square to me with too much depth for the width (which might in turn affect our perception of the whole perspective- if you see what I mean?). And yes, I really do like the idea and the execution but try shoving a hanging pub sign or a shop window awning in there and see what it does :O

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all for the votes of confidence !

Mike, I measured a OO Mk1 coach window and it seemed to be about 16mm both wide & high, which would match Multiprinter's 4ft width measument earlier in the thread. Whether I've got the correct propotions for the toplights I'm not sure - I'll need to find a pukka set of dimensions for the final 'window'.

I've added some black 'wood' effect to the Tudor building, and made a start on the pavement - photos later.

• RMweb Gold

Mike, I measured a OO Mk1 coach window and it seemed to be about 16mm both wide & high, which would match Multiprinter's 4ft width measument earlier in the thread. Whether I've got the correct propotions for the toplights I'm not sure - I'll need to find a pukka set of dimensions for the final 'window'.

I think I've worked out what it is from the inside view the top edge is obscured by part of the blind and measuring off a reasonably square looking interior pic in 'Mark 1 Coaching Stock of BR' the ratio is 61.5 units wide by a whisker over 53 units deep (measured from the bottom of the fully wound-in blind). The bottom of the quarter light assembly is 33 units above the bottom of the window and it is a tad over 2.5 units in depth and is 17 units below the bottom edge of the blind. The outer edges of the closed quarter lights are 18 units from the edge of the window and the metalwork is c.1.5 units wide and the glass area of the quarterlights is just under 15 units wide. Sorry to talk in 'units' but that at least gives proportion and the photo seems to be reliably 'square' as the width of the window is the same top and bottom. Must be me remembering compartment windows back in the days they had blinds!

I've added some black 'wood' effect to the Tudor building, and made a start on the pavement - photos later.

And very nice it looks too

• RMweb Gold

Mike, thanks for those dimensions.

A couple of questions :

1 - how much of the upper curve of the frame is hidden by the blind ?

2- across the toplights, I'm asuming there are two fixed & two moving plates of glass, your dimensions are :

18 units for glass

1.5 units for metal

15 units for glass

?? for metal (with catches)

15 units for glass

1.5 units for metal

18 units for glass

which totals 69 units plus the metal for catches, against the 61.5 units you have for the width of the window - what have I mis-understood ?

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

You know when you've got a plan in your head, all sorted and you can visualise the completed model, why does someone go and screw things up ?

Comment from an office colleague - "That woud look good with a thatched roof...."

Aaaaagggghhhh !

So now I need to source some minature thatch, and then learn some more techniques.....

Comment from an office colleague - "That woud look good with a thatched roof...."

Well, you laid yourself open to that because your "mock Tudor" doesn't look very "mock". It does look more like a genuine 15th-16th century timber frame in a somewhat hybrid south-eastern style. Such buildings are far more likely to have a tiled roof. After all, what idiot would put a thatched roof on a building that was nestling below a line carrying steam engines (even if yours is set a little later) :scratchhead: Thatch is also none too common in a semi-urban situation.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

The 'Mock' idea was rejected when I realised that a full height wood frame was easier to replicate in a skewed format. A few sketched pencil lines and some black enamel paint and it seemed to work.

(In fact, it all seems to have worked so far on this project, it's a bit scary !)

• RMweb Gold

Mike, thanks for those dimensions.

A couple of questions :

1 - how much of the upper curve of the frame is hidden by the blind ?

2- across the toplights, I'm asuming there are two fixed & two moving plates of glass, your dimensions are :

18 units for glass

1.5 units for metal

15 units for glass

?? for metal (with catches)

15 units for glass

1.5 units for metal

18 units for glass

which totals 69 units plus the metal for catches, against the 61.5 units you have for the width of the window - what have I mis-understood ?

Cheers

Stu

Sorry about that Stu, you've misunderstood nothing and I - I need hardly add - didn't check the total before posting, grr On remeasuring I find that I managed to get in the wrong place on the scale so said instead of 18 it is 13 and the glass in the sliding portion is nearer to 14.5 than 15 - which gives 55 with the rest left over for the metal bits.

A fair bit of the upper curve is visible with only a relatively small part cut off by the blind. You could of course set the blind at any point you wanted it you wanted to cahnge the viewing situation to more of a letterbox shape? Hope that helps and sorry about the miscount.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the clarification, Mike.

I'm tempted to leave the 'blind' fully up, as the toplights will help to define that the viewer is looking through a carriage window, but I will cut a few new windows to the correct relative dimensions to see which give the best image.

Thanks again.

Stu

Archived