Gateshead Class 20s

Sludger

• 8 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Russell Saxton said:

A photo has emerged of 8029 in Green without yellow panels.  The date has to be after december 1968. It was reported GFYE in autumn 1969 and went blue in march 1970 but can anyone shed more light?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373092548996?fbclid=IwAR3QPsbDYgcaRWHTRLvAugAGff6nBD4xuEEcF_6AB020-a9litHkMPmGaxU

The date can't be far wrong due to the second style blue Brush 4 in the background.

I wonder if it's our old friend iffy emulsion losing the small or large yellow panel in a similar way to my pic of D6796 posted hereabouts?

Mike.

Just discovered this thread from 2011 which has been resurrected recently, regarding Gateshead-allocated examples.

Reminds me of the one picture I took of a EE Type 1 (or Class 20 as young whippersnappers call 'em!) at Low Fell in the steam era which made me think I had caught one of them on film.

1789193504_(749eS)D8125LowFell9-6-67(TrevorErmel).jpg.fcaf89ff80621a1a4c0d1b3e5be817a1.jpg

D8125 with a northbound freight at Low Fell, Gateshead on 9th June 1967, presumably still in green livery

Actually it was taken before any were allocated to Gateshead, according to an early post on the subject, plus it's not one on the list! Looks like it must have come over from Carlisle or down from north of the border. Any idea where D8125 was allocated back then? I didn't usually photograph diesels but this was such an unusual sight that I had to grab it. I can't recall seeing any others of this type in Gateshead - certainly I didn't photograph any more.

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
additional info added
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Trev52A said:

Any idea where D8125 was allocated back then?

Still at Polmadie according to:

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=8125&loco=8125

Maybe the dry ice behind the loco is is bound for the Glaswidgie ice cream parlours and coffee shops?

Nic pic.