A diorama or two by Sandhills

Sandhills

Thanks Grunfos, paid too much attention to getting the Grid the right way round I never gave the Peak a second glance when it was plonked ! A correction to add to the list I've already got !

No snow at Toton this morning but still a very cold and frosty start -

post-6667-0-17959600-1358144663_thumb.jpg

Guest jim s-w

Talk about 'harder than it looks' !

This is the first attempt at recreating the original photo ! A bit more work and effort required I think !?

I dunno Jon

You've just over processed the model photo too much. One thing the comparrison does show that i never noticed before is just how undersized the peak center window is.

Cheers

Jim

Another try and still not the success I was looking for. At least the Peak is the right way round in this one !

post-6667-0-87386200-1358344848.jpg

I have used the shed interior diorama coupled with the new BR Blue 56 this morning......and the results were slightly better -

post-6667-0-63174400-1358344859_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-22663400-1358344876_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-67325200-1358344890_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-51955100-1358344897.jpg

post-6667-0-01220100-1358344904_thumb.jpg

For whatever reason I still find the B&W shots the more convincing, they have a very definite air of 'real' about them, to my eyes in every picture, whereas it's a smaller number of the colour ones that work as well for me pesonally. That of course is not to say that they aren't all very good, & so much better than I can do...!! 

Again, to me personally, it's the heavy rubber around the glazing in the models that give them away most, but this also doesn't seem to show so much in B&W...

Whatever, they're still brilliant photos!

Keith

Very nice Jon; I think you just need some different lighting for that first shot. How are you getting on with your photo mini-studio? Can you get a loco in easily and photograph it without it being too close to the edges? Considering one myself...and wondered how you were getting on.

Jon

Jon020 -

Ive not had a lot of time to use it but so far i've experimented with various lighting positions and also tried all the coloured backgrounds. The supplied red & blue backgrounds really dont lend themselves to model photography, the black backdrop works well outside in direct natural sunlight but is a bit of a nightmare when used with the lighting. The white background is best and by moving the lights around you can create some really dramatic shadows and effects.

post-6667-0-75154300-1358452550.jpg post-6667-0-71012800-1358452565.jpg post-6667-0-69724200-1358452555.jpg

My stuff has its faults and im far from mastering the best way to use the light but when you can present your work like this compared to it being photographed on a cluttered workbench or perched on top of the microwave, then having one of these as part of your modelling & photography kit has to be a must IMHO.

Its all well made and easy to set up but I have changed the supplied orangey bulbs in the 2 lighting pods for white kitchen downlighter bulbs. You'll need to get the ironing board out and give the backdrops a good pressing to get the creases out but apart from that I have no complaints and think its a useful bit of kit.

Ive had no problem picturing the class 44, the longest loco i've got at the minute and theres plenty of space to move the subject around without the sides of the light box getting in the way. With the level of detail involved in your work Jon I would say one of these would be ideal for putting the finishing touch to photographs.

Cheers for the review Jon... that's all that I needed to here and yes on the basis that I'm getting a bit tired with needed to sort out the wall paper roll and lights each time, I think I'll join you in getting one. Point about the light bulbs noted... I've read reviews that said the bulbs weren't very good, so yes... point taken. The need to iron the backing sheet has been written up before so yes, that's no problem.

Thanks.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

I also got one after seeing your first results Jon, although I only paid £26.99 (sorry!) but now the same one is £29.95! 

Anyway, a great bit of kit and great value for what we need them for, I have also ironed the backdrops (used the blue and the white) as the were very creased. I haven't had any trouble with the lamp colour, they aren't daylight but setting the camera's white balance to 'incandescent' sorted this out. 

The photo below has only been cropped, with no other adjustments. (sorry for polluting your thread with steam Jon but diesels are hard to come by round here!)  

post-7104-0-39115000-1358465427_thumb.jpg

Not a lot to report i'm afraid, it's been snowing and even though its not cut us off here in Billesdonion it has stopped me making a trip to the modelshop for the bits I need to progress with Tinsley.

Hopefully with a day off tomorrow i'll manage to get over and pick up the roofing sheets, handrails and clear plastic sheet for the final glazing of the windows. I also need to get over to Kingscliffe to pick up my 3 RfD machines from Rail Exclusive !

Sandhills HQ is looking very wintry at the minute -

post-6667-0-77899200-1358974609.jpg

and Sandhills Junior is very happy at the village school being closed due to the hot dinners & teachers not being able to get through !

post-6667-0-24725100-1358974616.jpg

Theres been plenty of this going on with the gang -

post-6667-0-02937000-1358974614.jpg

and not a lot of this -

post-6667-0-88852000-1358974606.jpg

Having failed miserable at cleaning up the glazing I sprayed over ive started the mammoth job of re-glazing the windows with thin acetate which is sprayed on the reverse with a coat of matt black. Viewed head on ive finally got the grey frame/black window look and viewed looking down the length of the building the shiny front face of the acetate works well as glazing.

post-6667-0-30776800-1358974604.jpg

I did manage a couple of night shots the other evening before the Arctic conditions arrived. I must admit, I find the night stuff very challenging and i'm far from getting the look in terms of lighting that i'm after but these 3 just about made the grade -

post-6667-0-21474100-1358974624.jpg

post-6667-0-11356600-1358974622.jpg

post-6667-0-24863800-1358974618.jpg

Hi Jon... or is it ice road postie?

Very nice shots there... and the windows look like they're coming along. My mini photo studio arrive today - mines the Konig one... although several look very similar. The lights do get hot and the idea you planted about using LEDs instead will result in some enquiries along these lines very soon. I grabbed a few test shots and the lighting will take some getting used to... and I might need some more space to work in to get the shots I want. I'll try the layering technique to the depth of field, but the one below is an "as grabbed" with my very old Powershot G2 set at F8.0 on Av... with just a resizing to put on here. Yes, if the Deltic fits the rest should be a doddle.

The portable studio build quality seems ok, but the sheet did get an iron before I took this shot... and the middle outer pocket has the stitching coming away at the bottom and allows the stand to fall out... but that'll be sorted quickly. Seems ok.... for the money.

Anyway.. a quick shot showing I'm going to need some practice with this... and maybe using the 400D next time. Shot taken of other end of '020... from that which appeared in REM ad for ScaleFour last month.

post-8351-0-11952600-1358979960_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack Jon... but thanks for the pointer to this; I'll be using it from now on.

Jon

Ice Road Postie indeed ! The producers of the show have been on and the cameras are coming out with me on Friday ! I have to cross the frozen wastelands of Rutland Water in a Vauxhall Combo with 8 tonnes of Amazon boxes strapped to the roof ! See FB for further updates !!

That Deltic looks better everytime I see it. I think its the colour of the traffic film weathering along the bodyside bottom. Just perfect !

Like you say, i'm hoping to get round to using that stacking software that Andy Y pointed out to us a while ago in conjunction with the light box and see if this improves the results further.

If that excellent effort was a quick snap with the Powershot then I shall look forward to seeing your efforts with the Canon !

I also got one after seeing your first results Jon, although I only paid £26.99 (sorry!) but now the same one is £29.95! 

Anyway, a great bit of kit and great value for what we need them for, I have also ironed the backdrops (used the blue and the white) as the were very creased. I haven't had any trouble with the lamp colour, they aren't daylight but setting the camera's white balance to 'incandescent' sorted this out. 

The photo below has only been cropped, with no other adjustments. (sorry for polluting your thread with steam Jon but diesels are hard to come by round here!)  

attachicon.gifIMGP5610-001.JPG

No apology neccessary Paul !

Your J26 if im not mistaken ? (See, I do read other peoples threads, even if they are steam related !!)

• RMweb Gold

No apology neccessary Paul !

Your J26 if im not mistaken ? (See, I do read other peoples threads, even if they are steam related !!)

Certainly is!

I may also try stacking, although the last time it took a couple of hours to process!

As you may have noticed, the Tinsley diorama isnt cracking along at my normal pace and this is largely due to the fact the Toton board and my tray of finished locos hasnt been put into storage and I cant resist taking photos instead of modelling !

This distraction has been dealt with tonight and all finished boards and locos have been locked away until further notice !

I did manage to get 78 windows re-glazed this morning and I also got the baseboard out for Tinsley and marked out the depot footprint, the 2 running lines and measued up where and how tall the embankment will be. I have a shopping list for materials now and ive no doubt that I will grace the modelshop with my presence wallet this weekend at some stage !!

Everything was going well until about 11am then the voices from the loco box started calling, the glazing was abandoned and I went out in the cold to take a few snaps !

I introduced a figure or two on this shot. They're Presier characters rather than the overweight/oversized Bachmann depot staff and before anyone comments, this was taken before H&S went crazy, hence the lack of Hi-Vis jackets !!

post-6667-0-15974700-1359062604.jpg

I tried a 'through the ages' line up and quite liked this cab end view -

post-6667-0-25467700-1359062618.jpg

We had a bit of a breeze today so the creation of Hamlet based clag was useless ! I liked this view but it would have benefitted from a bit of exhaust -

post-6667-0-06446100-1359062610.jpg

Seeing as it was a bit nippy outside, it was my day off and I wasnt driving anywhere I took my hip flask out with me and as the afternoon progressed with the odd  nip in my hot mugs of tea, I found myself getting a bit arty farty .The camera came off the tripod, everything went B&W and I ended up half cut and dozing infront of the fire thawing out ! Can you be 'drunk in charge'........of a camera ?!

Roof Tops -

post-6667-0-11742600-1359062620.jpg

The view from the depot door -

post-6667-0-32940700-1359062622.jpg

...and 2 others that just looked better in B&W

post-6667-0-53818700-1359062625.jpg

post-6667-0-18239500-1359062613.jpg

Thats it from Toton for a while then, I really must get back to modelling and saving for the bits needed to progress the next diorama. Look out for next months Hornby Magazine, there may be the odd 'Sandhills' pic floating around so i'm told ;-)

Until then, happy modelling and i'll be back soon with some progress from South Yorkshire..............  

Archived